The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 Car Won't Start - Tried JUMPING !!HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 G35 won't start, happened twice in 2 weeks

I purchased a 2007 pre-owned Infiniti G35 17 days ago. After I picked up the car, I drove 10 minutes to work and drove 20 minutes back home in the evening. Next day after some errands, I parked my car in front of my home. Two hours later, I can't unlock my car with remote control. I had to use the key to open the car door. No electricity at all. The car won't start. I had to jump start the car. I took it to Carmax 2 days later. They ran test for 3 hours to detect any battery draw problem. They said the battery was still good. They cannot detect any battery draw. They advised me not to use Auto Settings on head lights. I followed the suggestion. I am always careful, turning off radio and climate control before turning off the engine, and making sure all the lights are off before I leave my car.

After another 10 days, the problem occurred again after I parked my car on company's parking lot for 9 hours. I had it jump started so I can drive home. Next day I took it to Infiniti dealer. They ran test for for a few hours and still failed to detect any battery draw. They said they also checked alternator. The service guy said he had never dealt with battery drain problem on '07 G35. He believed the battery drain from radio in '05 and 06 g35 has been resolved by Infiniti with a new design. He suggested that, next time the same thing happens, I don't jump start the car but have the car towed to their service department so they can look into the problem first hand.

It is hard to believe the battery drain problem from older G35 has been resolved by their new design around radio. Anyone encountered the same problem on '07 or '08 or '09 g35? Any suggestion what I should do if this happens again?

Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the same thing happen to me. 2008 G35 with a good battery that was tested by the Infiniti dealer. I would drive it for a few days and no problems. Then, usually in the morning I would try to start my car and nothing would happen. The key pad worked fine, but not enough juice for the car to even start. Tow truck came out and jumped it and it started fine. I took my car to the dealer about 3 times, but they couldn't figure it out. The 4th time they finally figured out that it was just a loose battery terminal causing irregular or sometimes no charge at all. Tighten the battery terminal and no problems since then.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Same thing happened to me in my 03. I just bought a new battery, cleaned the battery terminals and tightened everything back up. No problems since.. fingers crossed. Good luck with the FIX.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
All the other comments aside your battery is history, done or dead! Just replace it with a quality battery and after a learning period your G35 will be just like you left it....needing an oil change. There is no reason to use different grades of oil summer/winter, stick with the 5W/30 Nissan recommends. Since you don't change oil often I suggest using synthetic for your extended service habits....poor G.
Gary

Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Yukiko711
I purchased a 2007 pre-owned Infiniti G35 17 days ago. After I picked up the car, I drove 10 minutes to work and drove 20 minutes back home in the evening. Next day after some errands, I parked my car in front of my home. Two hours later, I can't unlock my car with remote control. I had to use the key to open the car door. No electricity at all. The car won't start. I had to jump start the car. I took it to Carmax 2 days later. They ran test for 3 hours to detect any battery draw problem. They said the battery was still good. They cannot detect any battery draw. They advised me not to use Auto Settings on head lights. I followed the suggestion. I am always careful, turning off radio and climate control before turning off the engine, and making sure all the lights are off before I leave my car.

After another 10 days, the problem occurred again after I parked my car on company's parking lot for 9 hours. I had it jump started so I can drive home. Next day I took it to Infiniti dealer. They ran test for for a few hours and still failed to detect any battery draw. They said they also checked alternator. The service guy said he had never dealt with battery drain problem on '07 G35. He believed the battery drain from radio in '05 and 06 g35 has been resolved by Infiniti with a new design. He suggested that, next time the same thing happens, I don't jump start the car but have the car towed to their service department so they can look into the problem first hand.

It is hard to believe the battery drain problem from older G35 has been resolved by their new design around radio. Anyone encountered the same problem on '07 or '08 or '09 g35? Any suggestion what I should do if this happens again?
This just happened to my 07 G35S. My battery was replaced last November when the 60k maintenance was completed. It has been towed to the shop. Will find out next week what it is. In my searching, I have yet to find out why this has happened. Did you get it fixed? What was the fix? I assume faulty connections, bad battery or alternator.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
same problem i had...
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...no-lights.html

I decided to take half the fuses out in the hidden type fuse box and then it decided to all work again.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 PM
No news yet but the car has been moved into the shop. My mechanic put the battery on the charger, and got the clicking noise aka dead battery. There was nothing before the charger was put on.
He says he will test the battery, then check the IPDM if the battery checks out ok.
Car worked at lunch, but not 3 hours later. I need to know why it would go flat so quickly. Confusing me.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Before swapping the battery, use a voltage multimeter and see what numebers it's pulling up. If it's reading around 12V or higher, it's NOT your battery and your battery IS good. Another issue that it may be (if the battery is reading proper voltage) is that the terminal on the battery post is not on securely. Usually this is the case with the negative terminal since the positive one has a different type of terminal connection on it.

However, if the battery is not at the proper voltage, check your alternator. If that's good, not sure what direction to point you in. Perhaps it's a fuse, but I doubt it. Use any battery possible that you know works and try it out (another way to test the alternator if you don't have the means to get it tested). If you're able to get the vehicle to power on but not turn over, see if you can get any readings from the OBDII port. If you're doing it yourself and if you have an Android phone, get the Torque app and a bluetooth OBDII reader. It requires a GPS and bluetooth connection. Pair it, and you can run the program and see what codes it's throwing.

The following users liked this post:
Jrri (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Battery checked ok, charging system good, fuses good, IPDM visually ok. Stumped the mechanic, he thought maybe a relay stuck, drawing a charge. Must have been a big draw to deplete the battery in 3 hours.

Wife has been driving the past couple of days with no issues present. Now I am just waiting for her to call, again.

Thanks for the tips, I'll report back if it happens again.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Jrri
Battery checked ok, charging system good, fuses good, IPDM visually ok. Stumped the mechanic, he thought maybe a relay stuck, drawing a charge. Must have been a big draw to deplete the battery in 3 hours.

Wife has been driving the past couple of days with no issues present. Now I am just waiting for her to call, again.

Thanks for the tips, I'll report back if it happens again.
The specific gravity of individual cells in a battery can be checked with a battery hydrometer.
If you have a weak cell the car may not start at times especially in cold weather.

Name:  MyPictures102409006.jpg
Views: 8291
Size:  84.5 KB

Telcoman

Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks Telcoman,

Some more information...it was 60+ degrees the day of the no start.

This is an Interstate battery, that replaced the factory battery that was over 5 years old. I wanted to replace it before I had problems with it. This was done last fall.

No issues since, maybe that was my sign to be a powerball ticket

Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Thanks Telcoman,

Some more information...it was 60+ degrees the day of the no start.

This is an Interstate battery, that replaced the factory battery that was over 5 years old. I wanted to replace it before I had problems with it. This was done last fall.

No issues since, maybe that was my sign to be a powerball ticket
Once an automobile battery reaches 4 years old it is a good idea to test those cells to be sure they are accepting a full charge. In the case of my recently traded 06 I started to notice that one cell would not reach a specific gravity reading of 1260 indicating a full charge. I replaced the battery before I had a problem. It has been around 10 degrees here for the past few days and there are numerous calls going to the AAA for vehicles with bad/old batteries that won't start a vehicle.
Glad you got the problem resolved

Telcoman

Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't say the problem is solved. I said my mechanic went through all the tests and did not find any thing out of spec. He suggested that maybe a relay stuck, causing a draw on the battery.
The battery, which was replaced last fall, was recharged. No issues since Monday now.
I will report back if any other issues with this arises.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't say the problem is solved. I said my mechanic went through all the tests and did not find any thing out of spec. He suggested that maybe a relay stuck, causing a draw on the battery.
The battery, which was replaced last fall, was recharged. No issues since Monday now.
I will report back if any other issues with this arises.
Test each battery cell to see if any are not accepting a full charge. It is not unheard of to have a weak cell in a battery even if it is only one year old. A battery hydrometer runs about $10.00

Amazon Amazon

Telcoman

Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Just want to let you know how my 2007 G37 battery problem was resolved.
When my battery went dead the third time, on my work place parking lot, I was fortunate to have a coworker who has some knowledge about cars. I showed him all the helpful tips that I got from this site. He used a metal tool to quickly clean the battery terminals and posts, by rubbing agaist them, even though the terminals did not appear corroded to me. He jumped started my car and I went on the freeway to go home. After that, the problem has not reoccurred so far.

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Car Won't Start - Tried JUMPING !!HELP!!