The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Dealership help again???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership help again???

A little while ago I brought my car in with a idle problem. The dealership said that it the O2 Sensor had failed because I a did not use a standard air filter but chose to use a K&N instead. So they went ahead and charged the med sized dollars to install a new O2 sensor. All was well until I noticed that my car was leaking oil a bit. I really did not pay too much attention until I actually noticed a little on my garage floor. A co worker had said to check the PCV to make sure that it was working properly since a improperly vented valve cover could cause a oil leak problem due to pressure. So today I decided to act on the information that I had been given. And sure enough the vent tube that goes from the back of the driver side valve cover to the z-tube was kinked. Since the tube was long enough I was able to cut off the last inch tube and it fit perfectly. I really hate the fact I am going to have to double check the work that dealership performs on my car. They are supposed to be the experts and charge the most money also for so so quality work.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
O2 sensor failed because of a K&N air filter?? That's a stretch if i ever heard one

Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM

how would an air filter make the O2 fail

that makes no sense

Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 PM
but yeah, it sucks that the only way to get something done right without having to worry is to just do it yourself

Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Usually before I bring my car in for service of any kind, i try and diagnose it myself. To me, having a car serviced is a huge inconvienence to me and my time is valuable. Sometimes it's easier for me to fix it myself vs go through the hassle of making an appointment and bringing the car in..even if given a rental.

But you are right...some things it's just easier to do yourself

Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I've had a K&N on my 07 coupe for months with no issues.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They're liars.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 AM
The dealership violated the Magnuson-Moss Federal Warranty Act. Under this Act the dealership has to PROVE, not just say, that an aftermarket part caused your problem. If they cannot prove that the K&N filter caused the problem then you can insist they cover the repair or you will file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission which oversees the Magnuson-Moss Act. That being said you may not choose to take things that far but you have the right to do so.

This practice seems to be common with Infiniti dealers. When I took my 04 Coupe in after I bought it used they made a point of inspecting the car and telling me that I had an aftermarket air filter and exhaust. I wasn't having any problems with the car (just brought it in for routine maintenance) but they presented it like "you shouldn't have this stuff on your car." If you decided to pursue anything with this you can contact an attorney who deals with lemon law/warranty issues. SEMA might also be a good source for information on this as well because they represent so many aftermarket parts manufacturers.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
What they were claiming is that the oil from the filter gets onto the O2 sensor and causes the failure. I tried the troubleshooting myself and finally had to get it fixed. I was more upset at what the potential damage from the kinked PCV hose may have caused.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by fuki
What they were claiming is that the oil from the filter gets onto the O2 sensor and causes the failure. I tried the troubleshooting myself and finally had to get it fixed. I was more upset at what the potential damage from the kinked PCV hose may have caused.
I know it's a huge pain to fight it but technically they are still violating the law. They cannot just claim something like the oil fouled the O2 sensor, they would have to actually prove it. Otherwise the dealership could just say anything they wanted to deny claims without having to prove anything to anyone. It's up to you to decide if it is worth it to pursue but using that Act does work. I used it and was awarded $6,000, plus the manufacturer had to pay every bit of my legal fees.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM
K & n

My steelership sells K & N filters as an upgrade to the original filter Go Figure

Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I would find a better dealership

Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Personally, before bringing a car in, i would take off minor things like a CAI or a drop-in K&N just to avoid these sorts of headaches.

Everyone else is right. The dealership needs to prove the oil from the K&N survived the combustion process and somehow reacted with the O2 sensor to cause it to fail.

We can all speculate what-ifs but if they charged you a significant amount of money and it was a kinked air tube, i would go back to the dealership and tell them what you found and insist they reimburse you for the o2 since it was not the cause. If they deny you, tell them to prove that K&N's cause them to fail.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:01 PM
The oil would have been burnt up in the combustion process before it even reached the o2 sensor. Now if they had said that the oil had damaged the MAF sensor than they would have a case. BTW if you ever have an issue with the dealer and the K&N filter again. The lawyers that represent K&N are very very helpful! They may not get directly involved in your specific case, but they do off some very insightful information. The Magnuson-Moss act was designed to protect us the consumer against such things as what this dealer did to you.