The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

How to drive the RWD G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some tips for stick shift:

dont let your clutch work too hard. dont let it slip for longer than 1 second.
let your right foot do the talking. try matching your rpms when up and down shifting.
be nice to your clutch

Old 05-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
FWD vs RWD....?

There's not a whole lot of difference between the two, the front tires will never chirp and the balance is different. If you can drive one the other will seem like home after a few miles. There's no difference between the clutches....none, when changing gears get on the pedal then get off. See just like a FWD....just drive and enjoy!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 05-10-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Drive in reverse?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Front & Rear wheel drive cars are very different. I wonder if you guys driven an FF before?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Pictures of the JDM g35?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by papaya
I wonder if you guys driven an FF before?

I'll admit I never have. I've only owned RWD cars.

Technically, my g35x is my first non-RWD car. But even though it's AWD, i notice when i push it in turns on the power it does behave as a RWD car with the rear feeling like it wants to push out slightly on you

Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delaseouL
Drive in reverse?
Hey now... I'll openly admit that I put it in 6th 3 or 4 times before realizing how to get into R.... lol

Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dustin@m1autosport
v.d.c. off

now go have fun
Dude, no way. If someone's not familiar with the car, it's better to leave VDC on. The key to going fast is smoothness and using as much of the road as you can. On the track, that means edge to edge, on the road, as much as is reasonable within your lane so you don't go into oncoming traffic. If you drive correctly, VDC should never come on, since none of your wheels should be spinning or sliding. Spinning and sliding slow you down. In the case where you do screw up, VDC will save your butt.

Now, to answer the OP's question. If you really want to read a bit of good stuff about high performance driving, read
Going Faster Going Faster
, by the Skip Barber racing school. If you want to read some quick online stuff, http://www.turnfast.com/ is very good.

FWD and RWD cars handle exactly the same when you're not on the gas while turning at the limit. They behave identically accelerating in a straight line, braking, and cornering at neutral throttle. You can oversteer and understeer both RWD and FWD cars at the limit, it's more a question of technique rather than chassis.

The first thing you learn on the track, which is also very important for street driving, is that your tires only have so much grip to give. This grip is split between braking/accelerating and turning. If you are turning at your limit of traction, gas or brakes will require more traction than you have, so you will slide. If you are at the limit of acceleration or braking, then turning will make you slide. So, to drive the fastest possible way through a turn, you want to get all your braking (and shifting) done before you move the steering wheel to turn, then you turn at the limit without touching brakes, constant throttle, and moving the steering as little as possible. The links I provided above will explain what the best line through a turn is. This doesn't change much if you're driving a FWD or RWD car.

The biggest difference between FWD and RWD is that under acceleration, weight transfers to the back of a car. This will make FWD drive wheels have less grip, and RWD drive wheels have more grip, so the RWD cars have a higher acceleration limit.

FWD cars tend to be more nose heavy, so they have more of a tendency to understeer, while RWD are more balanced, so it's easier to get them to oversteer, but G35's are still a little nose heavy with an understeer tendency.

The most important thing to keep in mind in an RWD car is that if you ever start to feel a wiggle in the back, like you're near losing it, do not, under any circumstances, let up on the gas or brake, you will spin. In fact, gently add a little more gas (imagine an egg between the gas pedal and your foot, don't break the egg), this will transfer some weight to the back, give you more rear grip, and you'll make the turn.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
hmmmm, how about u don't drive it like an idiot for a while till you figure the car out instead of getting suggestion from the internet. Every car takes time to get used to when it comes to fast driving. Lack of basic knowledge about the cars balance and feel will not get you anywhere even if there was a book dedicated about how to drive the car fast.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by marcinr
Dude, no way. If someone's not familiar with the car, it's better to leave VDC on. The key to going fast is smoothness and using as much of the road as you can. On the track, that means edge to edge, on the road, as much as is reasonable within your lane so you don't go into oncoming traffic. If you drive correctly, VDC should never come on, since none of your wheels should be spinning or sliding. Spinning and sliding slow you down. In the case where you do screw up, VDC will save your butt.

Now, to answer the OP's question. If you really want to read a bit of good stuff about high performance driving, read Going Faster, by the Skip Barber racing school. If you want to read some quick online stuff, TurnFast! is very good.

FWD and RWD cars handle exactly the same when you're not on the gas while turning at the limit. They behave identically accelerating in a straight line, braking, and cornering at neutral throttle. You can oversteer and understeer both RWD and FWD cars at the limit, it's more a question of technique rather than chassis.

The first thing you learn on the track, which is also very important for street driving, is that your tires only have so much grip to give. This grip is split between braking/accelerating and turning. If you are turning at your limit of traction, gas or brakes will require more traction than you have, so you will slide. If you are at the limit of acceleration or braking, then turning will make you slide. So, to drive the fastest possible way through a turn, you want to get all your braking (and shifting) done before you move the steering wheel to turn, then you turn at the limit without touching brakes, constant throttle, and moving the steering as little as possible. The links I provided above will explain what the best line through a turn is. This doesn't change much if you're driving a FWD or RWD car.

The biggest difference between FWD and RWD is that under acceleration, weight transfers to the back of a car. This will make FWD drive wheels have less grip, and RWD drive wheels have more grip, so the RWD cars have a higher acceleration limit.

FWD cars tend to be more nose heavy, so they have more of a tendency to understeer, while RWD are more balanced, so it's easier to get them to oversteer, but G35's are still a little nose heavy with an understeer tendency.

The most important thing to keep in mind in an RWD car is that if you ever start to feel a wiggle in the back, like you're near losing it, do not, under any circumstances, let up on the gas or brake, you will spin. In fact, gently add a little more gas (imagine an egg between the gas pedal and your foot, don't break the egg), this will transfer some weight to the back, give you more rear grip, and you'll make the turn.
Someone who understands this post should already know how to drive and someone that doesn't will sound like blah, blah, blah.....
All this knowledge, with little bit of *****, without experience will wrap someone around a tree

Old 05-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get yourself some suspension mods and floor it at the end of every curve and enjoy.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Dubi2087
Get yourself some suspension mods and floor it at the end of every curve and enjoy.
Great adivice to wrap yourself around a tree in a faster way.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Someone who understands this post should already know how to drive and someone that doesn't will sound like blah, blah, blah.....
All this knowledge, with little bit of *****, without experience will wrap someone around a tree
Yep. The best performance mod you can buy is track lessons with an instructor. I just think the other advice to floor it through turns, turn off VDC, etc, is a recipe for disaster. It would be a lot safer to brake, then turn, then accelerate, don't mix them unless you know what you're doing.