The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

I hate Vtec!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PPGFREAK
Why would you think this is an open discussion about hondas? The thread is called "I hate Vtec" were in the thread name does it say "open discussion about Vtec" So if you dont like them then great! Jump in and talk about it, if you like them then got start a thread about it "Vtec is cool yo" or "I like to build cheap cars yo"

Now back ON TOPIC I dont like Vtec's my self There popular imo because there cheap to buy and so are the parts.
how are parts cheaper? there isn't many performance mods you can buy for our cars besides turbos and superchargers, but a full race kit for the k20 or a peakboost kit for the k20 is way into the 4,000 dollar range and thats for a basic kit not including fuel systems, kpro or anything like that. Even for the b series it is still pricey! Even all motor aspects are hella expensive! Not saying that the g parts aren't expensive because even with my discount the HKS twin turbo kit for my car was like 3gs lol I understand what you guys are saying but where does it say if you disagree then don't talk by the guy whom originally started this thread? I'm sure I am about to get flogged again and told to get off of this forum because I am not a "die hard" single type of car enthusiast, I am a multiple brand of car enthusiast which I guess where my arguments are coming from. I look into every type of car and dynamics too it I try to be educated into every type of car and other aspects of different cars such as ferraris, toyotas, hondas, lexus, acuras, nissan, infiniti etc. I can carry a pretty good intelligent conversation about pretty much all but when it comes to close mindness I hate it!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Coming from (3) VTEC Hondas/Acuras, blown and sprayed, I have to say me likey VTEC OMG, seeing the RSX makes me want my GSR back!!! DANG!!! I love pocket rockets, nothing like em!

Last edited by baileyt35; 06-07-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by PPGFREAK
Why would you think this is an open discussion about hondas? The thread is called "I hate Vtec" were in the thread name does it say "open discussion about Vtec" So if you dont like them then great! Jump in and talk about it, if you like them then got start a thread about it "Vtec is cool yo" or "I like to build cheap cars yo"

Now back ON TOPIC I dont like Vtec's my self There popular imo because there cheap to buy and so are the parts.
Sounds like jealousy to me. I wouldn't mind having a vtec or vvel on my G35. Like I said Nissan is about 6 years behind Honda.

Honda had touchscreen NAVI back in 2002 or So. Nissan didn't do it til 2008.

Honda had VTEC back in the 90's or 80's. Nissan didn't get their own till when? 2007?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by caits_g
how are parts cheaper? there isn't many performance mods you can buy for our cars besides turbos and superchargers, but a full race kit for the k20 or a peakboost kit for the k20 is way into the 4,000 dollar range and thats for a basic kit not including fuel systems, kpro or anything like that. Even for the b series it is still pricey! Even all motor aspects are hella expensive! Not saying that the g parts aren't expensive because even with my discount the HKS twin turbo kit for my car was like 3gs lol I understand what you guys are saying but where does it say if you disagree then don't talk by the guy whom originally started this thread? I'm sure I am about to get flogged again and told to get off of this forum because I am not a "die hard" single type of car enthusiast, I am a multiple brand of car enthusiast which I guess where my arguments are coming from. I look into every type of car and dynamics too it I try to be educated into every type of car and other aspects of different cars such as ferraris, toyotas, hondas, lexus, acuras, nissan, infiniti etc. I can carry a pretty good intelligent conversation about pretty much all but when it comes to close mindness I hate it!
Is it just me or does anybody else think a 21 year old female that knows her **** about cars is sexy as hell?

Cait, you go girl!!! You can stay here as long as you like IMHO

Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
This thread is teh ghay.

I actually like the new civic si and always been a fan of properly done hondas but i can never convince myself to drive a 4cyl. I think its something to do with ego, i donno i have to work on that.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Sounds like jealousy to me. I wouldn't mind having a vtec or vvel on my G35. Like I said Nissan is about 6 years behind Honda.

Honda had VTEC back in the 90's or 80's. Nissan didn't get their own till when? 2007?
if i recall right it was in 96 when nissan launched the NEO VVL, which not only was the same as VTEC but it included exhuast profiles

honda didnt include exhaust untill 4 years after nissan did

it was in project car, it was an sr20ve vs an ls vtec and it clearly explains that nissan took hondas tech inproved it and held the fort down untill honda could play catch up

Old 06-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by eljoker
if i recall right it was in 96 when nissan launched the NEO VVL, which not only was the same as VTEC but it included exhuast profiles

honda didnt include exhaust untill 4 years after nissan did

it was in project car, it was an sr20ve vs an ls vtec and it clearly explains that nissan took hondas tech inproved it and held the fort down untill honda could play catch up
So why did Nissan skip a couple of Generation? Because our G only has CVTC on the intake side.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 AM
So why did Nissan skip a couple of Generation? Because our G only has CVTC on the intake side.
you do realise that the you keep compairing 4 bangers to 6 right?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by eljoker
you do realise that the you keep compairing 4 bangers to 6 right?
I thought we were talking about Nissan and their VVEL system.

So, only Nissan 4 bangers get to have the VVEL?

Skipped a couple of generations, and only to come back again in the G37?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Not as bitter as you are about your $200
Just trying to lighten up the mood here

Old 06-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to be honest all these honda's with vtec think they are fast because their cars are lighter and because they got a big exhaust but our g's and z's make those sound and look like little toys you get at a store

Old 06-08-2009, 02:21 AM
I thought we were talking about Nissan and their VVEL system.

So, only Nissan 4 bangers get to have the VVEL?

Skipped a couple of generations, and only to come back again in the G37?
how did it skip a couple generations? vvl was introduced on the SR and to date ther has not been a succesor to the sr

Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jealousy? Any one that knows me knows that I have three G35's, so trust me if I wanted a Vtec I could buy 20+ of them. Sorry but they dont have any thing I like, mabey when I was a kid. What do they have to look up to? S2000 Come on now, it only moves because of its size, and thats it. It looks and feels like a go-kart, sorry to burst your buble but its fine for kids but I cant dive any thing that feels and looks that small and cheap.

Like I said my wife drives a 6sp Accord Coupe, but you ask her about it and she drives that because the 350z is not good for her in the snow being rear wheel drive, and she likes to drive a coupe.
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Is it just me or does anybody else think a 21 year old female that knows her **** about cars is sexy as hell?

Cait, you go girl!!! You can stay here as long as you like IMHO
^+1 yup

Originally Posted by live fast
to be honest all these honda's with vtec think they are fast because their cars are lighter and because they got a big exhaust but our g's and z's make those sound and look like little toys you get at a store
^+1 That is well put my friend!

They also think there fast because 180hp is a lot to a honda

Old 06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
VTEC - the car essentially has 2 cam profiles. The lower profile is tuned for gas mileage and driveability, when the rpm gets high enough, the engine switches over to a more aggressive cam for extra power - sr20de4evr - automotive forums

CVTC:

"Variable-Valve Timing: "Nissan's Continuously Variable Timing Control (CVTC) electronically measures throttle position, vehicle speed and engine rpm, then adjusts the moment each valve breathes in. And it does this throughout the power band - from that first boost off the line to when you approach redline. Response time and efficiency are optimized. Power and torque, too." - Nissanusa.com

What does it mean?: Variable valve timing allows the SE-R's engine to get as much air as it can when you want it to. This adaptability enables the QR25DE to breathe very well no matter what engine speed it happens to be at. This technology gives the engine the most possible torque and horsepower from 1,000 to 6,200 RPM without the use of a turbocharger.

Now the ctvc smooths out the power band and does add some power, but there is no kick." -teggyls - automotive forums

They both do 2 totally different things. How can we even start to compare them? Do they both do what they were designed to? Yes, very well. Lets end it at that, they both do very good at what they were designed to do.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I look into every type of car and dynamics too it I try to be educated into every type of car and other aspects of different cars such as ferraris, toyotas, hondas, lexus, acuras, nissan, infiniti etc. I can carry a pretty good intelligent conversation about pretty much all but when it comes to close mindness I hate it!
You do huh? Well.... doesnt look like that education worked out too well for ya seeing as though you ended up in a car you dont even want. Right......?

I happen to own a g35 and would much rather have a car that has "vtec" especially a k20 swapped car that runs 11's with intake header exhaust and slicks!
Pretty sure if you had all that education working for you you would have indeed ended up in that eg/ek/ej/da with the "oh so precious" k swap of yours. And news flash.... those slicks that are 100% necessary to turn that 11 second pass... yea... not runnin those on the street. So there goes Mr. Traction... buh bye!

But honestly, this convo is pointless. There is, and always will be... NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. So, there is no comparison. You're talking apples to oranges between the two platforms. Our 6 cylinders will ALWAYS have an advantage over hondas 4. Its just that simple. Ask your buddies at the shop and they will say the same thing.

All im saying is, why even come to a g35 board when its obvious which platform you like more?

As for Jabber... dude just stop talking. This is the same numbnut who said he could put a honda into the 7s for cheaper than a G. It was just about that point where you lost all credibility. I now read your posts with the same level of enjoyment as I get from watching a child trying to figure out how to get the square block into the triangle hole.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.