Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jutn35

looool

Old 06-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
VTEC is pretty awesome. I've got the Toyota version of it in my other car (VVTL-i). Normally, when the engine would be dead over 6k RPM, the second cam kicks in and it's like you've got a new engine until redline. It's a different driving experience. The G is all torque all the time, while you have to keep RPM's up for VTEC, but it's also fun.
VVT-i and VTEC and 2 totally different things. VVT-i actually varies the timing on the cam. VTEC just has a different lobe for high RPM's which ads a little more lift and duration. VTEC was never designed for power but for emission control....added "power" was a side effect.

My friend has a type-r integra, I was riding with him today, told him it was his job to try and impress me with VTEC. He tried a lot the whole ride....needless to say, I wasn't impressed at all. He still says he'll smoke me through 4th...ROFL

Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by SUPER20G
Never cared for hondas. I was always a DSM fanatic! I still miss my GSX.
lol...

http://media.photobucket.com/image/c.../crankwalk.jpg

Im an ex-honda guy myself (had a ej2 civic that ran high 12s), and yes, the majority of honda guys are tards. Cant count the number of ******** who would mod their ECU's just to lower their vtec engagement point because it sounded cool.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
There should be age requirements to be a Driver member... This whole thread is pretty sad.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shakuya88
VVT-i and VTEC and 2 totally different things. VVT-i actually varies the timing on the cam.
Yeah, I know they're different, that's why I said my car has VVTL-i The VVTL version is identical to VTEC, and only present in the toyota 2ZZ engines which are used in the Celica GT-S and Lotus Elise.

A small engine with VTEC/VVTL-i isn't as exciting as a big powerful torquey engine, but the engines are much smaller and lighter and make for more nimbe cars. Throw in a turbo or supercharger, which allows the cam crossover at low rpm, and you have a very powerful, light engine, and there's something to be said for that. Sometimes I love the little high strung 4-cyl in my Elise, especially the sound at 8k rpm, but sometimes I'd like to have the G's torque.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I thinks its funny when someone says they love the sound of vtec. I thinks its justs sounds louder and more like sh*t

Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPER20G
Never cared for hondas. I was always a DSM fanatic! I still miss my GSX.
I am a Dsm man also..I have a 99 gs but I'm always looking for a 99 gsx..

Old 06-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoK4drSi
Vtec is nothing but boost and vtec is actually pretty schweet
Did people not see this post???

Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Shakuya88
VVT-i and VTEC and 2 totally different things. VVT-i actually varies the timing on the cam. VTEC just has a different lobe for high RPM's which ads a little more lift and duration. VTEC was never designed for power but for emission control....added "power" was a side effect.

WTF are you talking about VTEC also varies the timing....

VTEC = Variable Valve Timeing and Lift Electronic Control.... errr

------------------------
Honda's VTEC system is a simple method of endowing the engine with multiple camshaft profiles optimized for low and high RPM operations. Instead of one cam lobe actuating each valve, there are two: one optimized for low-RPM stability & fuel efficiency; the other designed to maximize high-RPM power output.
------------------------
Don't you wish our G was this Efficient? When in low RPM it's all about fuel efficiency, then when you hit pass 5k it bones out... Nice.

The one for Emission is actually VTEC-E.

------------------------
Honda's next version of VTEC, VTEC-E, was used in a slightly different way; instead of optimising performance at high RPM, it was used to increase efficiency at low RPM. At low RPM, one of the two intake valves is only allowed to open a very small amount, increasing the fuel/air atomization in the cylinder and thus allowing a leaner mixture to be used. As the engine's speed increases, both valves are needed to supply sufficient mixture. A sliding pin, which is pressured by oil, as in the regular VTEC, is used to connect both valves together and allows the full opening of the second valve.
------------------------

VTEC vs C-VTC (Type R vs G35) Funny how our G couldn't pass the Type R. Even though the weaker car did take off a bit early.

Last edited by jibberjabbers; 06-05-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
single stage VTEC does not alter cam timing. the sprocket is stationary.

its funny, because you just proved yourself wrong.

the valve is opened more fully, and for longer duration.

lift, duration, timing... three different things.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Zajac
I thinks its funny when someone says they love the sound of vtec. I thinks its justs sounds louder and more like sh*t
No, I love the sound of 8000 RPM, and not vtec specifically. The VTEC/VVTL-i is what makes the engine useful at that speed. It would run out of torque around 6000 rpm without it.

Look, VTEC has its place, just like big torque engines do. People who think that having VTEC makes their car fast are deluded, it just gives the engine a much better torque curve across a very wide RPM range. Hot cams suck at low RPM, low-RPM cams lose torque at high RPM, so put in both!

This discussion will be moot in a few years anyway, since we'll all be driving engines with hydraulic or electric lifters that have a continuously adaptable timing and lift, but until then, I'll enjoy my car screaming like crazy

Old 06-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by pwebb
single stage VTEC does not alter cam timing. the sprocket is stationary.

its funny, because you just proved yourself wrong.

the valve is opened more fully, and for longer duration.

lift, duration, timing... three different things.
This is even funnier.

Anyways, Honda does have VTEC-I

i-VTEC (intelligent-VTEC)[4] introduced continuously variable camshaft phasing on the intake cam of DOHC VTEC engines. The technology first appeared on Honda's K-series four cylinder engine family in 2001 (2002 in the U.S.). In the United States, Honda first debut the technology on the 2002 Honda Civic Si EP3 with the economy version.

Valve lift and duration are still limited to distinct low- and high-RPM profiles, but the intake camshaft is now capable of advancing between 25 and 50 degrees (depending upon engine configuration) during operation. Phase changes are implemented by a computer controlled, oil driven adjustable cam gear. Phasing is determined by a combination of engine load and rpm, ranging from fully retarded at idle to somewhat intelligent at full throttle and low rpm. The effect is further optimization of torque output, especially at low and midrange RPM.

Last edited by jibberjabbers; 06-05-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure Honda has VTEC on 100% of their cars..and it's purpose is fuel economy/emission. The VTEC included on a Civic/Accord does not add any power in upper RPMs. It merely serves to allow the engine to run more lean then it usually would at lower RPMs(economy cams). After 5500-6500 it shuts OFF vtec... The VTEC that comes with Civic SI/RSX is the performance edition that has continuously variable intake cam timing.

I think.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Frankieg35
I am a Dsm man also..I have a 99 gs but I'm always looking for a 99 gsx..

I dont get any "lol" at my crankwalk picture? Come on! You diamond star guys had to have at least chuckled a little at that? lol

Old 06-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by vincentl
I'm pretty sure Honda has VTEC on 100% of their cars..and it's purpose is fuel economy/emission. The VTEC included on a Civic/Accord does not add any power in upper RPMs. It merely serves to allow the engine to run more lean then it usually would at lower RPMs(economy cams). After 5500-6500 it shuts OFF vtec... The VTEC that comes with Civic SI/RSX is the performance edition that has continuously variable intake cam timing.

I think.
The Fuel economy one's are Soch Vtec and Vtec-E

The one on the NSX, RSX Type S, TL etc etc. Are for performance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.