The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Buying tires online: What's the benefit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Buying tires online: What's the benefit?

I'm about to venture into the heresy/blasphemy world with this thread, but I'm open to stories that show me a different view.

After researching tires for quite some time now, I'm not sure I see any real advantage to buying tires from an online retailer. This isn't directed specifically at Tire Rack, but I'm going to use them as a reference because I know people who've ordered from them, and they're the biggest online retailer by a long shot.

Cost Online: Other than when a tire is on super-duper clearance, the online prices I've seen are not all that different from the quotes I've gotten from local tire shops. For example, Bridgestone RE760's (245/45-18) would have cost me about $710 from Tire Rack. $165 each, plus about $50 in shipping.

Installation: There are a few local Tire Rack approved installers in my area, but installation was at least $75 from them (one was over $100). I've found someone else who'd do it for about $60, so we're at $770 installed if I buy them from Tire Rack.

Cost/Installation Local: I'm buying these same tires from a local shop and the total cost installed for all 4 of these Bridgestones, including taxes, is $760. $10 cheaper and a lot less hassle than buying online.

Warranty Online: Two local Tire Rack approved installers said that if I have any warranty issues with the tires, I have to deal with Tire Rack directly, they can't help me. This means paying someone to unmount the tire and then paying to ship it back to Tire Rack. I don't anticipate having a warranty issue, but what a pain in the ****. I've also heard two real horror stories when trying to get a warranty handled through Tire Rack. I'd like to think these were total anomalies, but they were enough to convince me not to buy from them.

Warranty Local: Every shop I've talked to said all I had to do was bring the car in and they'd handle it. If it meant replacing the tire, they'd order and install it no charge.

I've compared online and local prices on several other tires I was considering, and in every case, the local price either beat the best online price, or was within about 3% of it. This doesn't factor in the benefits of supporting local businesses, which is not insubstantial, just difficult to quantify here.

So, if buying local is essentially the same cost as online, and the warranty is at worst the same as online, why would anyone buy tires from an online retailer? The only things I can think of are the super-duper clearance sales (usually low-end tires) or you don't have access to a local shop that can sell a particular make/model of tire you want.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I say what works best for you is the route you should go. I have always found that Tire Rack was far less expensive than buying local, but if that's not the case for you then it doesn't make sense to blindly buy from them.

Less money, less hassle is always my choice. Now if I could just find a girl that fits that description, I'll be set!!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
situation is completely different in my case.

First of all tires I get are not sold anywhere in my state
And if I go for the tires that are sold at my local tire shops I'll end up paying tons more.

So it is all depends on the tire you are getting.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Since you found a tire store in your area that can beat Tire Rack consider yourself lucky. I've been buying tires from them for 20 years and their prices have always been unbeatable compared to local shops....until recently. I guess all that television commerical time cost has to be passed on to someone.... At one time their prices were so good I was getting a tire free compared to the local shops in my area, not now!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 06-16-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I have gotten the last 4 sets of tires from Tirerack and just got some local places to install them. Never had any issues to even need a warranty.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think, like everyone else, it depends on your location. Tire rack has always been lower for me when compared to local pricing. However, I also have a buddy who owns an import performance shop and he will normally price match (or sometimes go lower) whatever tire rack sells for.

You ever look into wheelsnext.com? Their warranty policy is pretty good from what I hear.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
In your situation, it doesn't really make much sense to buy tires online, but sometimes you can get tires online for a far lower cost than locally, and then it makes sense to order.

For example, I track my other car a lot, and I use Toyo R888 tires. Locally, the best I've been able to find is $260 for the rears, for instance. Online, I can get them for $185. That's a huge difference that more than makes up for shipping.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by brandon402
You ever look into wheelsnext.com? Their warranty policy is pretty good from what I hear.
I've looked at them, but their prices are terrible. Every tire is at least $40 more than most other sites. For 4 235/45-18 Kumho SPT's, Tire Rack is $576 shipped, Wheelsnext shipped is $784. For 4 245/45-18 Toyo Proxes 4's, TiresDirect.Net is $525 shipped, Wheelsnext is a whopping $912!!! Almost $400 higher!!

There are a few sites like this where I honestly don't know how they stay in business. 1010Tires.com is one of them. Their prices are so drastically higher than other places, only a complete moron would buy from them. Those same SPT's from Wheelsnext that are $784 are $860 from 1010Tires.com, almost $300 more than the Rack. Yokohama W4S's are $1100 on 1010, more than $400 higher than the Rack. Who the hell would pay $1100 for those tires? Ridiculous.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your local experiences. I guess I didn't know how good I had it in this small town with regards to tire prices. But I still think it's possible to get similar prices anywhere if you shop around a bit.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I just bought tires from this place, saved a bundle of cash.
http://www.tires-easy.com/

Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I've bought from Online.

First I bought tires online, only to take them to tire chain shops who refused to mount them because I didn't buy them there. Had to go to a smaller type of tire shop to get them M&B.

Round two, i bought online and had the tires shipped to local installer who worked with tirerack. They gave me instore M&B pricing and did it for me, but the entire time all i heard was "Why didn't you just buy them from us? we have these"

Round three, i go on tirerack.com print out order for 4 tires plus shipping. I go to tire store and say "match this + M&B and i'll buy right now". If they do, i do it. If not i go to another store.

One thing to keep in mind. DATE CODES. Tirerack LOVES to have closeout pricing on tires they have overstock of. They will sell a $200 tire for $80. Why?? Because it's 4 years old!!! I've heard of a lot of guys getting these super deals and not checking their date codes and finding they have 3+ year old tires on their car when new. Generally you should replace a tire after 6 years..regardless of condition.

I fell for the "deal" once and got 4 year old bridgestones. I didn't catch it until they were M&B, so it was on me. They looked new and felt new, but 1 year later they were dryrotted. Never again.

NOW, when i buy tires, i specifically ask to see the dates codes on the tires and try to stay 6 months or newer.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need new tires and have been researching prices. Tire Rack is much cheaper and I'll use them.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
I've looked at them, but their prices are terrible. Every tire is at least $40 more than most other sites. For 4 235/45-18 Kumho SPT's, Tire Rack is $576 shipped, Wheelsnext shipped is $784. For 4 245/45-18 Toyo Proxes 4's, TiresDirect.Net is $525 shipped, Wheelsnext is a whopping $912!!! Almost $400 higher!!

There are a few sites like this where I honestly don't know how they stay in business. 1010Tires.com is one of them. Their prices are so drastically higher than other places, only a complete moron would buy from them. Those same SPT's from Wheelsnext that are $784 are $860 from 1010Tires.com, almost $300 more than the Rack. Yokohama W4S's are $1100 on 1010, more than $400 higher than the Rack. Who the hell would pay $1100 for those tires? Ridiculous.
1010tires stays in business because they are the largest online tire and wheel retailer in Canada. If you are going to compare tire/wheel companies, at least compare companies that are in the same country......Sheesh!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
a BIG advantage of staying local..
the extra $20~$50 you spend when buying local will pay for itself multiple times, every time you go in for the free, lifetime balance and rotation.. (probably 3~8 times depending on the tire type)

Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My local place goes on tire racks site, adds shipping and matches that total cost. Very convenient.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying tires online: What's the benefit?