G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

So what Gas Station do you go to??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dablakbradpitt
just asking.. y not 93? and do you think theres a difference between 91 n 93? trying to learn a lil here lol
93 BAH , where you from boy, in CALI there is no such thing of 93, unless you go to a racing fuel distributor.

but when im going cheap like last summer, i got with Valero 91

Old 07-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Chevron 91 Premium Octane my choice....!

In our manual and inside the gas door it says to use premium, Nissan built our engines so I follow what they recommend. Does anyone doubt that Nissan knows what should be run in their vehicles.... If you can afford our cars why would you skimp for a few $ a month, unless you're unemployed and living in CA.!
Gary

Old 07-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shell 91 :] has nitrogen, a little bit more expensive but worth every penny

Old 07-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Does anyone know exactly why ca. Doesnt do 93 octane ?

Old 07-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by IMAFUKINRIDER
Does anyone know exactly why ca. Doesnt do 93 octane ?
my guess is safety? ca is strict?

Old 07-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
In our manual and inside the gas door it says to use premium, Nissan built our engines so I follow what they recommend. Does anyone doubt that Nissan knows what should be run in their vehicles.... If you can afford our cars why would you skimp for a few $ a month, unless you're unemployed and living in CA.!
Gary
gary, i dont know a lot about cars, but my neighbor has a hummer and he runs 87 o.O . i dont know how he does it but he explained to me in very short terms and said rattling = upgrade to 89, but so far his car is perfectly fine? i would like to find out how this works too. not saying i would put 87 in a G.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
No Chevron yet? I use Chevron and so far it hasn't failed me =)

Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunoco 93

Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by xdEnbOyx
No Chevron yet? I use Chevron and so far it hasn't failed me =)
chevrons good. i noticed one thing, i dont know whether its so cal only but every chevron down here has so much room! haha, good if u want to caravan and cars can park n wait o.O

Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't pay for fuel i run it thru my wife's company but its s^itty gas...centex....they say 89 oct

Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i only use the shell vpower from the station a few miles up the road from my house. That way i know i'll always get the same gas. It's a great station.

I've thought about switching to the sunoco a little further away and using ultra 94. A lot of my boosted friends use that and love it. So far the 93 vpower is doing great with my 12psi.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by SxSkyLinexS
gary, i dont know a lot about cars, but my neighbor has a hummer and he runs 87 o.O . i dont know how he does it but he explained to me in very short terms and said rattling = upgrade to 89, but so far his car is perfectly fine? i would like to find out how this works too. not saying i would put 87 in a G.

Read the manual. What grade gas to put in it is listed in there JUST like what grade oil. It amazed me how much research people go on different grade oils to put in their engine, but then are completely uneducated about the different octane levels of fuel.

Commercially available, you can get 85, 87, 89, 91, 93 and 94 octane. You can get higher, but i won't get into that. A few states out in the midwest at high altitudes offer 85 octane because the high altitude air is thinner and can support a lower octane without detonation.

Your engine has a recommended octane level based on a few factors. Is the engine a high compression engine? Is tuned with performance fuel and timing curves? Is there a power adder such as a turbo or supercharger? These are the factors that go into deciding what octane to run.

Octane is simply the resistance to burning a fuel is rated at. The lower the octane, the easier the fuel burns. That's it. No other difference in detergents and such within a brand. If you go to Mobil, their put the same additives in 87 octane as they do in 93 octane. The difference is the resistance to burning in an engine. Which to use depends on how the engine is engineered.

You want to run the LOWEST octane you can get away with without detonation - that marbles in a can sound you sometimes hear going up a hill. Many cars today are equipped with a KNOCK SENSOR which detects this and changes the fuel and timing to one that reduces knock. That's why the G35 says "Premium recommended" if you run 87, the knock sensor will pick up knock (if any) and reduce timing to save the engine and run safe. As a result, you may not get optimun performance.

Power adder cars usually want to run highest octane possible period, because any detonation can be fatal. So the idea is to run as big of a buffer as you can.

If your manual says your car can run safely on 87 octane (and achieve max performance) then there is no benefit to putting 93 octane in it. It's not a doggie treat for your car for years or good service. You are just wasting money. However, as years and miles go on, carbon deposits inside the engine can actually start to cause detonation even with the recommended octane level, and usually you have to step up a level to 89 octane or so. The carbon deposits retain heat and cause the fuel to pre-ignite. Good time to seafoam the engine.

With that said, the G35 recommended 91 or better for max performance. I put 93 octane in my car since 91 is tough to find.

My previous Mustang GT only required 87 octane on it's low compression V8 (8.5:1) to achieve max performance, so that's all i ever put in it. Putting 93 octane in that car would have been a waste of money.

That's the theory behind octanes, but not everyone goes along with it. You'll always have that one guy that puts 93 in everything thinking it gives him exta power and then there is the guy who just doesn't care and puts 87 octane into is SL55 even though premium is REQUIRED.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Read the manual. What grade gas to put in it is listed in there JUST like what grade oil. It amazed me how much research people go on different grade oils to put in their engine, but then are completely uneducated about the different octane levels of fuel.

Commercially available, you can get 85, 87, 89, 91, 93 and 94 octane. You can get higher, but i won't get into that. A few states out in the midwest at high altitudes offer 85 octane because the high altitude air is thinner and can support a lower octane without detonation.

Your engine has a recommended octane level based on a few factors. Is the engine a high compression engine? Is tuned with performance fuel and timing curves? Is there a power adder such as a turbo or supercharger? These are the factors that go into deciding what octane to run.

Octane is simply the resistance to burning a fuel is rated at. The lower the octane, the easier the fuel burns. That's it. No other difference in detergents and such within a brand. If you go to Mobil, their put the same additives in 87 octane as they do in 93 octane. The difference is the resistance to burning in an engine. Which to use depends on how the engine is engineered.

You want to run the LOWEST octane you can get away with without detonation - that marbles in a can sound you sometimes hear going up a hill. Many cars today are equipped with a KNOCK SENSOR which detects this and changes the fuel and timing to one that reduces knock. That's why the G35 says "Premium recommended" if you run 87, the knock sensor will pick up knock (if any) and reduce timing to save the engine and run safe. As a result, you may not get optimun performance.

Power adder cars usually want to run highest octane possible period, because any detonation can be fatal. So the idea is to run as big of a buffer as you can.

If your manual says your car can run safely on 87 octane (and achieve max performance) then there is no benefit to putting 93 octane in it. It's not a doggie treat for your car for years or good service. You are just wasting money. However, as years and miles go on, carbon deposits inside the engine can actually start to cause detonation even with the recommended octane level, and usually you have to step up a level to 89 octane or so. The carbon deposits retain heat and cause the fuel to pre-ignite. Good time to seafoam the engine.

With that said, the G35 recommended 91 or better for max performance. I put 93 octane in my car since 91 is tough to find.

My previous Mustang GT only required 87 octane on it's low compression V8 (8.5:1) to achieve max performance, so that's all i ever put in it. Putting 93 octane in that car would have been a waste of money.

That's the theory behind octanes, but not everyone goes along with it. You'll always have that one guy that puts 93 in everything thinking it gives him exta power and then there is the guy who just doesn't care and puts 87 octane into is SL55 even though premium is REQUIRED.
nicely said :]

Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Cali is a communist state with their emissions. 93 probably isnt green enough for them lol

I always get from the Shell or BP stations which are 2 blocks from my hose. 93 Octane is what i get.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Cali is a communist state with their emissions. 93 probably isnt green enough for them lol

I always get from the Shell or BP stations which are 2 blocks from my hose. 93 Octane is what i get.
i see u want to move to cali o.O come over n pump 91!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So what Gas Station do you go to??