Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing but Cheveron 93, ever.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
You want to run the LOWEST octane you can get away with without detonation - that marbles in a can sound you sometimes hear going up a hill. Many cars today are equipped with a KNOCK SENSOR which detects this and changes the fuel and timing to one that reduces knock. That's why the G35 says "Premium recommended" if you run 87, the knock sensor will pick up knock (if any) and reduce timing to save the engine and run safe. As a result, you may not get optimun performance.

If your manual says your car can run safely on 87 octane (and achieve max performance) then there is no benefit to putting 93 octane in it. It's not a doggie treat for your car for years or good service. You are just wasting money. However, as years and miles go on, carbon deposits inside the engine can actually start to cause detonation even with the recommended octane level, and usually you have to step up a level to 89 octane or so. The carbon deposits retain heat and cause the fuel to pre-ignite. Good time to seafoam the engine.
so when i shut my car off, ive noticed sometimes my engine sounds a little like pop rocks for a minute.. i need to seafoam?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by risingson
so when i shut my car off, ive noticed sometimes my engine sounds a little like pop rocks for a minute.. i need to seafoam?

When you turn it off??

That's usually the exhaust pipes cooling and expanding. Quite normal.

The can full of BB's sound you would hear would happen with the engine running under load...like up a hill in a low gear or accelerating

Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by g35TUNER-CHICk
u have this posted on two sites?
yeah because this website is nationwide, the other is strictly for Ny since i live in Ny i can get better answers for answers in our neighborhood

Old 07-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Read the manual. What grade gas to put in it is listed in there JUST like what grade oil. It amazed me how much research people go on different grade oils to put in their engine, but then are completely uneducated about the different octane levels of fuel.

Commercially available, you can get 85, 87, 89, 91, 93 and 94 octane. You can get higher, but i won't get into that. A few states out in the midwest at high altitudes offer 85 octane because the high altitude air is thinner and can support a lower octane without detonation.

Your engine has a recommended octane level based on a few factors. Is the engine a high compression engine? Is tuned with performance fuel and timing curves? Is there a power adder such as a turbo or supercharger? These are the factors that go into deciding what octane to run.

Octane is simply the resistance to burning a fuel is rated at. The lower the octane, the easier the fuel burns. That's it. No other difference in detergents and such within a brand. If you go to Mobil, their put the same additives in 87 octane as they do in 93 octane. The difference is the resistance to burning in an engine. Which to use depends on how the engine is engineered.

You want to run the LOWEST octane you can get away with without detonation - that marbles in a can sound you sometimes hear going up a hill. Many cars today are equipped with a KNOCK SENSOR which detects this and changes the fuel and timing to one that reduces knock. That's why the G35 says "Premium recommended" if you run 87, the knock sensor will pick up knock (if any) and reduce timing to save the engine and run safe. As a result, you may not get optimun performance.

Power adder cars usually want to run highest octane possible period, because any detonation can be fatal. So the idea is to run as big of a buffer as you can.

If your manual says your car can run safely on 87 octane (and achieve max performance) then there is no benefit to putting 93 octane in it. It's not a doggie treat for your car for years or good service. You are just wasting money. However, as years and miles go on, carbon deposits inside the engine can actually start to cause detonation even with the recommended octane level, and usually you have to step up a level to 89 octane or so. The carbon deposits retain heat and cause the fuel to pre-ignite. Good time to seafoam the engine.

With that said, the G35 recommended 91 or better for max performance. I put 93 octane in my car since 91 is tough to find.

My previous Mustang GT only required 87 octane on it's low compression V8 (8.5:1) to achieve max performance, so that's all i ever put in it. Putting 93 octane in that car would have been a waste of money.

That's the theory behind octanes, but not everyone goes along with it. You'll always have that one guy that puts 93 in everything thinking it gives him exta power and then there is the guy who just doesn't care and puts 87 octane into is SL55 even though premium is REQUIRED.
awesome post!! n ur right 91 is a hard find. I think only sunoco sells it

Old 07-12-2009, 12:56 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I run it on Costco Premium fuel

for some reason I get the most millage out of it.......bout 350 miles on 18 gallons (summer grade fuel)

Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I run Sunoco for 3 reasons.

1.) They're less than 1/4 away.

2.) They have gas sales on Sunday and Wednesday where 87 and 89 are the same price, 91 and 93 are only 10 cents more than the 89.

3.) I seem to get more mileage out of them than the other stations. I hit 425 miles before the gas light comes on.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Whichever 1 is convenient to me at the time. If I'm on the highway/interstate I'll stick with national brands. Locally I've used the same pumps for years.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Shell V-Power baby...

Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Shell V-Power 92 for me as well. Switched from 91 BP and I've got less low-rpm detonation in my revup (common problem).

Old 07-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Read the manual. What grade gas to put in it is listed in there JUST like what grade oil. It amazed me how much research people go on different grade oils to put in their engine, but then are completely uneducated about the different octane levels of fuel.

Commercially available, you can get 85, 87, 89, 91, 93 and 94 octane. You can get higher, but i won't get into that. A few states out in the midwest at high altitudes offer 85 octane because the high altitude air is thinner and can support a lower octane without detonation.

Your engine has a recommended octane level based on a few factors. Is the engine a high compression engine? Is tuned with performance fuel and timing curves? Is there a power adder such as a turbo or supercharger? These are the factors that go into deciding what octane to run.

Octane is simply the resistance to burning a fuel is rated at. The lower the octane, the easier the fuel burns. That's it. No other difference in detergents and such within a brand. If you go to Mobil, their put the same additives in 87 octane as they do in 93 octane. The difference is the resistance to burning in an engine. Which to use depends on how the engine is engineered.

Power adder cars usually want to run highest octane possible period, because any detonation can be fatal. So the idea is to run as big of a buffer as you can.

With that said, the G35 recommended 91 or better for max performance. I put 93 octane in my car since 91 is tough to find.

My previous Mustang GT only required 87 octane on it's low compression V8 (8.5:1) to achieve max performance, so that's all i ever put in it. Putting 93 octane in that car would have been a waste of money.

That's the theory behind octanes, but not everyone goes along with it. You'll always have that one guy that puts 93 in everything thinking it gives him exta power and then there is the guy who just doesn't care and puts 87 octane into is SL55 even though premium is REQUIRED.
Great post. Nice to see that someone knows what they are talking about when it comes to different grades of gasoline.

Also, to the guy who said all gas is the same no matter where it comes from. That's true and false at the same time. The gas itself may all be the same, but the detergents are not. Name brand, also known as Top Tier, gas is typically more expensive for a reason. They all have their own additives that differentiate them from the bargain sellers. While the EPA requires that all gasoline has a minimum level of detergents, in order to be considered Top Tier the gasoline must include a higher amount of detergents than is required. ConocoPhillips has SuperClean, Chevron has Techron, Shell has V-Power, etc. Whether you believe these are worth the extra money or not is up to you. I run ethanol-free ConocoPhillips 91 octane whenever possible.

Last edited by OKStateG35; 07-13-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I only use
cheveron
shell

I have convinced many people to switch..
many that have switched were using costco gas, Ralphs supermarket Gas, Arco and unknown gas stations. They have all said their vehicles feel stronger and smoother

Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SER-G35
Shell V-Power baby...

Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I usually get 93 from BP, Mobil, or Shell. But now I only use Shell 93 V-power. Cant beat getting good gas and 5% of it back on my shell mastercard.

Originally Posted by LightsOut

I have convinced many people to switch..
many that have switched were using costco gas, Ralphs supermarket Gas, Arco and unknown gas stations. They have all said their vehicles feel stronger and smoother
same here I know way too many people that cheap out on gas by going to Citgo, Costco, thortons, etc... and have had SEVERE fuel related problems. That 4 cents/gal they saved did absolutely nothing but cost them more in the end.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So what Gas Station do you go to??