The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Horrible Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well sorry to hear that but G's are not great at gas consumption. The new models are much better. Not sure which one you have. I have an '04 G35x and its not that great either. I usually get around 12 to 13mpg which is due to tons of traffic in the city and even on the highways as I am in NYC and I drive to work in Manhattan five days a week and getting stuck in traffic & idling for parking plus AC blowing all contributes to the reduced gas mileage. First I was concerned too but eventually realized that its just the way it is and my mechanic told me the same thing that these engines are gas guzzlers.
Primarily highway driving though you shouldn't have any issues and you should get good mileage cause I do. If i make any far away trips like to NJ my mpg improves drastically.
Going to PA on Saturday will see how it is going 100+miles one way.
And lets face it. This is a sports sedan meant to be driven faster than other cars and for that it will use more gas! I do drive fast whenever I can.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
although i agree with your assessment that these arent economical vehicles, i have 2 friends that own g35s(one 2003 and one 2005, mine is 2004) and 1 a 350z(2005) and they get about 16-18mpg city and i have seen many people here post that they get high teens and low 20s. my car is doing worse mpg than my dad's ford e350 which is a v10.mine is doing about 8mpg which is beyond ridiculous. these cars are sporty but come they are not bugattis or lambos.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mike_gt2
although i agree with your assessment that these arent economical vehicles, i have 2 friends that own g35s(one 2003 and one 2005, mine is 2004) and 1 a 350z(2005) and they get about 16-18mpg city and i have seen many people here post that they get high teens and low 20s.
People claiming 20's are driving 90% highway. Not a fair comparison.

But I do admit that my mpg has gotten worse. Brand new 60/40 (hyw/city) I was getting 17-19mpg.

I now get about 15mpg. Maybe I should change the air filter.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 PM
at this point i would be delighted with 15. 8-9 is ridiculous(with slow driving)

Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mike,
Just athought. Have you ever cleaned the injectors? Taken out and cleaned or run Techron through the gas? If the injectors are dirty they may be squirting the correct amount of gas but the spay pattern might be poor. To burn cleanly and completely the fuel must vaporize quickly. If instead of a fine mist, you're getting large drops the gas will not burn properly. This would corespond with your CEL of running rich. The engine is just not burning all the gas that's being pumped into it.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey you guys, long time no talk. After having gone to 2 general mechanics in the last 6 months(owned the car for 8 months) and nothing showing up on their diagnostics, i went to infiniti dealer today. just got my 2004 g35(auto) back and i was hoping they could tell me what was wrong but it turns out the "car is running perfectly." i am really running out of hope and think im going to have to get rid of my baby G. to much money being wasted on gas when it shouldnt be. my gas consumption when from about 180mi every 17-18 gals to now about 135. any advise would be appreciated as i rly want to keep it.

things ive done:

New k&N air filer
New Platinum tipped spark plugs
BG air intake system cleanse
regular oil changes...first i used castrol syntec then changed to royal purple
93 gas everytime
gradual accelerations at about 2000-2500rpm

fyi:about 7 months ago my service engine light turned on so i went to advance auto to get codes read. it threw a running rich and evap system small leak codes dude deleted it and never came back on.

my friends, i really need your recommendations. thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Bassman
Mike,
Just athought. Have you ever cleaned the injectors? Taken out and cleaned or run Techron through the gas? If the injectors are dirty they may be squirting the correct amount of gas but the spay pattern might be poor. To burn cleanly and completely the fuel must vaporize quickly. If instead of a fine mist, you're getting large drops the gas will not burn properly. This would corespond with your CEL of running rich. The engine is just not burning all the gas that's being pumped into it.
thx for the reply bassman. wouldnt the bg airintake system cleanse count as a fuel injection cleanse? i have run gas treatment but not techron. i put my original post above. thx again

Old 07-30-2010, 11:48 AM
bg is supposed to be good. Did it go through the air intake? Maybe it was to clean the MF sensor. BG does make a fuel system cleaner. I only suggested Techron because I've read so many good comments about it.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
yes, it did go through air intake

Old 07-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Try a quality injector cleaner in your gas. It sounds like you may need several tanks worth.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Give her the old Seafoam treatment. Or take it out one night and beat the living **** out of it for a half hour or so and see if it blows any carbon out and check the mileage again on the next tank or two.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 PM
I need to try the seafoam treatment and the techron. I haven't done that at all. I think I will try the techron first and see how that goes. I just dump that in with when I get fuel fill up thats it ?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 PM
i'l give the seafoam a try. i just cant believe 2 mechanics and even infiniti dont know whats goin on =/

Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by mike_gt2
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and a first time G35 owner. I bought my 2004 G35 coupe about 6 weeks ago. to begin with i knew it wasn't a very fuel efficient vehicle but the gas mileage im getting is ridiculous. i do mostly city driving and i knew i probably wasn't going to get the 19mpg it says but im only getting 11.5-12 mpg on this car. i get only about 200 miles a tank. Service engine light isnt on. had the spark plugs replaced with new titanium tipped spark plugs, replaced the air filter, and i put premium Chevron gasoline. any recommendations you guys may have would be greatly appreciated. Engine Oil has been changed recently(when i bought it) and on a side note i drive it lightly, not lead footed at all. thanks in advance
Hi I have 2004 g35x sedan and I get the same milage (12 mpg ) I only have 34,000 orignal miles and only use moblie 1 oil and take very good care of my car and I get the same exact milage. this car just sucks on gas bottom line. get use to it !

Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by jimmypisciotta
Hi I have 2004 g35x sedan and I get the same milage (12 mpg ) I only have 34,000 orignal miles and only use moblie 1 oil and take very good care of my car and I get the same exact milage. this car just sucks on gas bottom line. get use to it !
Unfortunately can't do much about that. If you are driving highway though you are fine but mostly city driving these cars suck when it comes to gas mileage.
I was actually the same way when I first got the car. I thought something was definitely wrong with it but no its just a gas guzzler plus it probably won't be that fast if it didn't drink gas like it does. And Nissan has never been known for making gas efficient engines. Its all about the power! Which I love by the way. Just have to accept it and enjoy your ride.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, around town suburban driving, light to light averaging maybe 35mph on the trip computer. I get 19.5-20.5mpg according to my navigation. The jackrabbit throttle starts hurts these cars. My car has over 72,000mi on it now and it's the same mpg as when it was new. For those of you guys getting poorer mpg first adjust your driving technique then move on to basic maintenance. If you wanted to throw new parts on it I'd invest in brand new quality O2 sensors and sparks. Make sure the engine oil is always topped off. These cars are starting to get older so maybe the MAF isn't working quite up to spec. Any kind of vacuum leak can affect engine management. I found that the differential oil and gear oil viscosity (manual trans) made a huge difference in fuel consumption. When I had the wrong kind I was getting 16mpg so I can believe you guys getting bad or worse mpg. I even made a post about it a few years ago...

The following users liked this post:
alforque (11-16-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrible Gas Mileage