The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Horrible Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
On, but off topic. Anyone know where to get seafoam in Canada?
i got it at Napa. i believe. but i live in BC

Old 11-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've checked. i get about 16~ mpg. i drive sorta spirited.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
last week i got 300 miles on one tank a gas.. i have never seen that in this car i mostly get about 280.. so the same i got 300 miles on 1 tank of gas i threw myself a party lol

Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MissouriG35
my new route to work is the same distance, but much more stop and go. That being said, my hwy mileage is still horrific. I can see the needle dropping as I drive.
That's what did it, the stop and go. All cars are the most efficient when running at constant, low RPM at constant throttle. Any sort of acceleration/deceleration kills them on the highway.

For instance, on long trips, if I'm careful to drive at a constant speed or if I use the cruise control, I average almost 30 mpg, usually in the 29 mpg range (I'm ****, I keep track of mileage on a spreadsheet ). If I drive on the highway with a little more gusto, I get just over 20. It's all about how you drive. The best I was ever able to squeeze out of the car was about 32 mpg driving ~50 mph on long, straight country roads.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
That's what did it, the stop and go. All cars are the most efficient when running at constant, low RPM at constant throttle. Any sort of acceleration/deceleration kills them on the highway.

For instance, on long trips, if I'm careful to drive at a constant speed or if I use the cruise control, I average almost 30 mpg, usually in the 29 mpg range (I'm ****, I keep track of mileage on a spreadsheet ). If I drive on the highway with a little more gusto, I get just over 20. It's all about how you drive. The best I was ever able to squeeze out of the car was about 32 mpg driving ~50 mph on long, straight country roads.
Depends on what is considered low rpm. There is an efficient band for all motors but it varies, sometimes greatly. Hypermilers would tell you to not use the cruise control (although maybe it is better than how many would drive on their own).

One interesting statement above is that of stop and go. I read an article by a guy in Seattle who basically stated the way to drive in this sort of traffic was to drive the average speed between the stop and go. By doing so you are not stopping and going and those behind you automatically adopt the same pattern which in turn gets rid of bottle necks. It was done as sort of a personal experiment but worked. What was interesting is that there are those that argue that if you do this others will just pass you by. True but those that stay behind see the benefits and after awhile in certain areas those numbers can grow. I have also been reading about the possible use of electronic speed limit signs that would follow the same logic, measure the average speed and that becomes the new speed limit and is adjusted up and downward as necessary.

It would be interesting to know what the posters average mph is since I have found that even a little bit of difference there over the same route can greatly affect mpg depending on the reason behind the drop (ie bottle necks, weather, lower speed limits).

Old 11-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Depends on what is considered low rpm. There is an efficient band for all motors but it varies, sometimes greatly. Hypermilers would tell you to not use the cruise control (although maybe it is better than how many would drive on their own).

One interesting statement above is that of stop and go. I read an article by a guy in Seattle who basically stated the way to drive in this sort of traffic was to drive the average speed between the stop and go. By doing so you are not stopping and going and those behind you automatically adopt the same pattern which in turn gets rid of bottle necks. It was done as sort of a personal experiment but worked. What was interesting is that there are those that argue that if you do this others will just pass you by. True but those that stay behind see the benefits and after awhile in certain areas those numbers can grow. I have also been reading about the possible use of electronic speed limit signs that would follow the same logic, measure the average speed and that becomes the new speed limit and is adjusted up and downward as necessary.

It would be interesting to know what the posters average mph is since I have found that even a little bit of difference there over the same route can greatly affect mpg depending on the reason behind the drop (ie bottle necks, weather, lower speed limits).
so my STOP and GO is a good thing

YES! lol, every1 says its bad muahahahhaha

Old 11-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I average about 20-24 MPG again depending on driving style...

The stop and go will kill any cars average range

Old 11-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im mostly highway prob about 75-80% of the time and i get only about 17MPG. i mean i guess i got a semi heavy foot but am slow at times. Im at 120k and only changed it once i believe. Should i change mine again also? haha

Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
i dont use the cruse if you going down a hill or something shift into N let it coast, im thinking i get better mpg in any gear above 4th the lower gears us it more, but it all come down to your foot if your worried about mpg stop stepping on it all the time

Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
i dont use the cruse if you going down a hill or something shift into N let it coast, im thinking i get better mpg in any gear above 4th the lower gears us it more, but it all come down to your foot if your worried about mpg stop stepping on it all the time
If staying within the speed limit probably doesn't do much for you in some cases as engine braking may just allow you to go above anyway.

Probably the best way is to determine the sweet zone for the engine and try to maintain in that area (CVT method). Aniticipate stops, drive average speed, maintain tire pressures, keep windows rolled up, etc.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
^^yeah, granted i do get on the throttle sometimes bc why have a fast car an not do it every now and then, this is my every day driver so when im in town i keep it easy pull out slow keep my distances and try no to get in a hurry that works for me

Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
^^yeah, granted i do get on the throttle sometimes bc why have a fast car an not do it every now and then, this is my every day driver so when im in town i keep it easy pull out slow keep my distances and try no to get in a hurry that works for me
Keeping distance is a good thing. One thing I have also read about is following distance inside of town. There has been a trend over the years to cut this distance based on speed which affects others pulling in front of you from side streets, etc. This backs up the side streets which waste gas for those idling which of course is often us. Maybe if we had hydraulic starters it would not make as much of a difference.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM
maybe but you wouldnt get that same roar on start up, i usually dont have to deal with that kind of traffic but if and when im in the DC area it cant be helped driving in places like that is a joke...
also distance on the interstate you could follow someone who is going about the same as you but get in their slip stream then your car doesnt have the wind resistance hence doesnt need to work as hard to keep the speed up

Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 AM
put my G to the test as far as gas milage made my trip back from home 214mi (90% interstate) kept it at a constant 70mph and got a lil over 24mpg, im happy with that considering what kind of car this is

Old 12-01-2009, 06:54 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
winter fuel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrible Gas Mileage