The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Winter Driving Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Winter Driving Tips

I made a thread on winter driving tips just help each other out. I drive my g35 in Canadian winter and I know many other brave g35 owners do also. Winter driving can be safe and headache-free when done right. Please post one or two tips on driving in winter conditions.

Being equipped with a set of winter tires should be given.

my tip is:

Leave your VDC off and control your wheel spin with your throttle. This gives me more control as sometimes I let the wheels to spin a bit (on take offs usually and occasional turns). Some drivers like to have VDC on at all times but I think it's a good practice to try out both ways.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:07 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I agree on both your major points. Winter/snow tires are the single most important component for safe winter driving, nothing else is even close. And I always turn off my VDC when it's snowy and/or icy. I don't mind a little wheel spin, and I even think it helps get you moving. What I do mind is a little wheel spin and then having the VDC Nanny kick in and really slow me down.

And there's nothing like making a turn with the VDC off. Start the turn, give a little gas so the rear end slides out a little, and ease off once you're pointed in the right direction. Fun stuff.

When I first saw that KP Technologies made a unit that remembers your VDC setting when you shut the car off, I thought that $40 was too much when I could just push the button. But I'm seriously considering one now that I'm in my second winter with this car.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get an "X" model and be done with it!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
^ and weight a ton, have barely any good lowering options and not have rwd fun in summer? i'll pass

Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
I agree on both your major points. Winter/snow tires are the single most important component for safe winter driving, nothing else is even close. And I always turn off my VDC when it's snowy and/or icy. I don't mind a little wheel spin, and I even think it helps get you moving. What I do mind is a little wheel spin and then having the VDC Nanny kick in and really slow me down.

And there's nothing like making a turn with the VDC off. Start the turn, give a little gas so the rear end slides out a little, and ease off once you're pointed in the right direction. Fun stuff.

When I first saw that KP Technologies made a unit that remembers your VDC setting when you shut the car off, I thought that $40 was too much when I could just push the button. But I'm seriously considering one now that I'm in my second winter with this car.
I'm not sure having a bit of wheel spin is going to help you accelerate faster. The coefficient of friction is highest when your tire's not sliding across the snow/ice. So in theory, having the VDC on all the time to control/minimize wheel spin is going to give you the best acceleration times.

I do agree that having a bit of wheel spin and sliding around a bit is fun..

Last edited by geronimomoe; 01-05-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Well Gangsta, I beg to differ with you. My X IS RWD in the summer. No, It's not a drifter if that's what lights your fire.
The OP was talking about WINTER driving not summer. How to maximize control under difficult conditions.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by akoustic
I made a thread on winter driving tips just help each other out. I drive my g35 in Canadian winter and I know many other brave g35 owners do also. Winter driving can be safe and headache-free when done right. Please post one or two tips on driving in winter conditions.

Being equipped with a set of winter tires should be given.

my tip is:

Leave your VDC off and control your wheel spin with your throttle. This gives me more control as sometimes I let the wheels to spin a bit (on take offs usually and occasional turns). Some drivers like to have VDC on at all times but I think it's a good practice to try out both ways.
Agreed on the winter tires. I also agree with it's best to practice with the VDC off.

My tips are: drive slowly until you get to know the conditions/limits of your tires/car and have a full tank of gas!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Winter tires. Then just drive normally.

I cant wait to drive my G next winter with some Blizzaks. It will be a blast!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Wannabe,
I have Blizzak WS-50's on my wife's Maxima. I wanted to put the new WS-60's on my G35x. I waited too long. My size was sold out so I put the new Conti ExtremeWinter Contacs on. Sofar they work great. The Conti's feel a little more planted on dry roads than the Bizzaks. The Bizzaks have been wearing well. They first went on in the fall of '05. They had 8/32" tread when I put them back on in November.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I'll probably get the WS-60 because i can get a good deal on them and they have been pretty highly recommended.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
I'm not sure having a bit of wheel spin is going to help you accelerate faster. The coefficient of friction is highest when your tire's not sliding across the snow/ice. So in theory, having the VDC on all the time to control/minimize wheel spin is going to give you the best acceleration times.
Well, my experiences driving in winter conditions are real, not theoretical. And those experiences have shown that my car is far more responsive and accelerates much quicker with the VDC Off than On, even if there is a little more wheel spin. The coefficient of friction is indeed higher when you're not spinning, but you need to factor in the reduced throttle and the ABS activation that come with that better COF. The VDC is just too restrictive when it does activate, and it stays activated far longer than necessary. I don't know where you live, or what you've driven through, but my experiences have shown it's really not even close as to which way works better.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by geronimomoe

I do agree that having a bit of wheel spin and sliding around a bit is fun..
Actually for me, I will never be able to get into my garage if I have VDC on since my drive way is a mountain to climb. If I leave VDC on as soon as wheel slips a bit VDC cuts off the throttle which at that point I have not enough rpm to get going. As well when in snowy situations with VDC off I let wheel spin a bit so the sipes on your winter tires can push out the snow and find traction below to get going. It's not for everyone, but it's working for me now with all the snow we are getting all of a sudden...

Old 01-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Well, my experiences driving in winter conditions are real, not theoretical. And those experiences have shown that my car is far more responsive and accelerates much quicker with the VDC Off than On, even if there is a little more wheel spin. The coefficient of friction is indeed higher when you're not spinning, but you need to factor in the reduced throttle and the ABS activation that come with that better COF. The VDC is just too restrictive when it does activate, and it stays activated far longer than necessary. I don't know where you live, or what you've driven through, but my experiences have shown it's really not even close as to which way works better.
I'll take your word for it as I've never timed it or "raced" another person in the snow so I can't debate without firm facts.

I'm in northern NJ so I've been in snow/ice.. With my 08 X, it's fun especially with my snows.

Just out of curious if anyone on this forum has performed an impromptu test of this sort with another member in snow/ice conditions and what were the results???

Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by akoustic
Actually for me, I will never be able to get into my garage if I have VDC on since my drive way is a mountain to climb. If I leave VDC on as soon as wheel slips a bit VDC cuts off the throttle which at that point I have not enough rpm to get going. As well when in snowy situations with VDC off I let wheel spin a bit so the sipes on your winter tires can push out the snow and find traction below to get going. It's not for everyone, but it's working for me now with all the snow we are getting all of a sudden...
Definitely agree in your case, as the drive wheels need to work down to the ground and get some traction.....

Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 PM
It's my first winter on a car with traction control... I still haven't figured it out. I'll turn the VDC off, then try to get moving and if I don't have traction (starting in a pile of snow) I hear that ABS type sound... it's almost like turning VDC off makes no difference. Am I missing something?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Driving Tips