The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

In the market for my first G35...school me please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JizZLe23
id get an 06 or above,6MT,( i dont see a point of gettin auto. if you're in a sport's car but that's just me).
If you buy a 05-07 make sure you get the one with the muffler bearings.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by simpson
Muffler bearings?

Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Lol.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll go against the grain and suggest you stay away from the 6MT. These are not sports cars, they are semi comfortable cruisers. The 6MT feels like it belongs in a truck and ergonomically I find the seating position/interior a disaster when it comes to comfort and driving stick. The main point being that if you've come from cars with nice transmissions (S2000) a G is terrible in manual form and it justs does a better job at exposing the cars harsh drive train.

Having driven an Auto one previously, it's much better suited for this car.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by simpson
I'm a forum veteran....heard this one many a time. lol

Originally Posted by Abdizzle
I'll go against the grain and suggest you stay away from the 6MT. These are not sports cars, they are semi comfortable cruisers. The 6MT feels like it belongs in a truck and ergonomically I find the seating position/interior a disaster when it comes to comfort and driving stick. The main point being that if you've come from cars with nice transmissions (S2000) a G is terrible in manual form and it justs does a better job at exposing the cars harsh drive train.

How can you say this is not a sports car? It is a 350Z with a few more luxury options, and some sexier body panels...that's it. A refined sports car if you will. I will never drive an autotragic car again...

Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Abdizzle

I would also have to disagree about the transmissions. I have driven both cars and many others. I really like the 6 mt in the g35. I think that it is well placed and easy to control. I think that the s2000 has a great tight shift box but i feel that it is to high while sitting in the seat. I would not say that it is a sports car also but it is close with a bit of luxury.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
OP, if you're interested in buying one from a dealer and getting an extended warranty, then go to the dealer and have them buy you one from an Infiniti auction. That's what I did and I got the exact car I was looking for. They know what cars are coming up at auction so they can tell you if there's one that meets your requirements. These cars are only sold to Infiniti dealers and are guaranteed by Infiniti to qualify as Certified Pre-owned. That doesn't mean you have to get it as a CPO, but you know the quality is there. These are either cars coming off leases or trade-ins that are in very good shape.

My salesman gave me a list of the cars coming up at auction. Year, color, options, etc. If I liked one, then I told him how much I'd pay for each one (out the door prices for me). Based on that, he had his auction buyer bid on the cars as they came up. If they could get it for a low enough price to meet my price restrictions and still make money on it, then they'd buy it. I gave them the OK on 3 or 4 cars, but they had to bid on them in order of appearance at the auction, so the first one that worked out, they bought. It was really a great way to do it as far as I'm concerned. Because it was a guaranteed sale (you are entering into an agreement to buy the car provided there's nothing wrong with it), they were willing to accept a lower profit margin since it wouldn't be sitting in the lot. Based on a few people I know in the industry, and another dealer I talked with, they estimated that the dealership made about $1000 on my car. I've heard that's pretty much the minimum they'll accept unless something has been sitting around for a long time.

Anyhoo, just an option since you've got some very specific items you want on your car.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
would it be fair to say to stay away from the 06s? seems like they got the most oil comsumption problems?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
OP, if you're interested in buying one from a dealer and getting an extended warranty, then go to the dealer and have them buy you one from an Infiniti auction. That's what I did and I got the exact car I was looking for. They know what cars are coming up at auction so they can tell you if there's one that meets your requirements. These cars are only sold to Infiniti dealers and are guaranteed by Infiniti to qualify as Certified Pre-owned. That doesn't mean you have to get it as a CPO, but you know the quality is there. These are either cars coming off leases or trade-ins that are in very good shape.

My salesman gave me a list of the cars coming up at auction. Year, color, options, etc. If I liked one, then I told him how much I'd pay for each one (out the door prices for me). Based on that, he had his auction buyer bid on the cars as they came up. If they could get it for a low enough price to meet my price restrictions and still make money on it, then they'd buy it. I gave them the OK on 3 or 4 cars, but they had to bid on them in order of appearance at the auction, so the first one that worked out, they bought. It was really a great way to do it as far as I'm concerned. Because it was a guaranteed sale (you are entering into an agreement to buy the car provided there's nothing wrong with it), they were willing to accept a lower profit margin since it wouldn't be sitting in the lot. Based on a few people I know in the industry, and another dealer I talked with, they estimated that the dealership made about $1000 on my car. I've heard that's pretty much the minimum they'll accept unless something has been sitting around for a long time.

Anyhoo, just an option since you've got some very specific items you want on your car.

VERY informative reply, thank you very much for this...i had NO IDEA this was an option, but now that i know this kind of thing is possible it's exactly what i'll do. I'll approach a local dealer or two and say this is what i want to spend, this is what it must have....go get it.

Originally Posted by saywat?
would it be fair to say to stay away from the 06s? seems like they got the most oil comsumption problems?

Yeah...i'm thinking i may stay away from 2005's and 2006's altogether since the 2007 seems to be the only year/model G35 coupe that didn't have all the problems with oil consumption, pooling by spark plug 6, etc...seems like they finally got it right in 2007.

Also, 2007's should all just be coming off their 3 year leases so a bunch should be getting turned in around now.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
So...the reason i was set on the 2005 to 2007 was for the revised 298HP motor...i was under the impression that 2003 and 2004 only made like 250HP but i misread what i saw on wikipedia about the motor, and turns out the manual coupe in 2003 and 2004 still made 282HP...so i may consider an older one too.

What did they change from 2004 to 2005 for the extra 16HP? and did the pre 2005 G35's have the oil consumption problems too...or just 2005-2006? If i can get an older one cheaper with only 16hp less but not have to worry about shot piston rings causing nasty oil consumption, i might just go that route and save the money i'd have to spend by getting a 2007.

EDIT:

Just checked the TSB regarding the oil consumption problem and it clearly says at the top of it, 2005-2007 models...so if i do get an older one, i'll be sacraficing 16HP but gaining the peace of mind that i won't burn through a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I think that's worth way more than 16HP i can easly gain back with intake and exhaust upgrades.

Last edited by 90NA300ZX; 03-11-2010 at 04:29 PM.