The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

In the market for my first G35...school me please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market for my first G35...school me please!

I've done some homework, but not much....i do know that i want 2005-2007 since that's when then redesigned the motor somewhat for a bit more power.

One main question i have is regarding the VQ35-HR...everything i'm finding leads me to believe that this version of the motor was only available in the 2007-2008 SEDAN and not the COUPE? Is this true. I'd like the option of the dual throttle, amonth the other perks of the 2007 VQ motor...but i'm looking strictly for a coupe.

If i can't get the HR motor in the coupe, i guess it'll be a good thing because that gives me more options...i'll be able to look for anything 2005 to 2007 rather than just 2007, making it easier to find what i want...which is:

Black on Black
M-6
Navigation
HID's (not sure if these are standard on all G35's)
19" premium wheels
spoiler
sunroof (Also not sure if this is standard on the option list)
under 40k miles

From what i've found, i'll prob be looking around the $20K give or take a few grand depending on if i go to a dealer for the luxury of being able to get an extended warranty, or private party and taking my chances.

What i'm looking for here is a list of potential problems these cars have a history of...what i should be looking for on the car itself, and on it's maintenance history/records. What weak points exist in these cars that at certain miles should be address or i should be concerned with.

Any and all help in my shopping experience would be great! Judging by the looks of this site, i'll get all the help i need. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Just do a search, I would say dont limit yourself on a HR or DE motor, both are good options. Screw the wheels, if you really want them buy some from the classifieds. Limiting your car search on the wheels will narrow you down too much, you also have to fight the 1/10 chance of the car being a manual and the color combo of int/ext. Check your oil levels weekly is probably the most consistent answer you will get.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I was thinking of not being too particular about the wheels since i'll want a set of the base, smaller wheels to put snow tires on anyway since this will be driven year round.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, have all the money and I'm ready to buy, just need to find the perfect one. But in my search I've noticed....

Black on Black- For sure one of the more desired color combos...I'm in the north east and every dealer is charging a premium for black on black, they're popular though so its not impossible to find one.

M-6

Again every car I've looked at so far the 6 speeds are priced about $2,000 more then that autos, sucks for us who love manuals but again they're the more desirable

Navigation- harder to find, esp when factored in with the color combo and trannie

HID's (not sure if these are standard on all G35's)- These are not standard up untill 05 I believe, if not 06

19" premium wheels- 05-06 they started coming with the forged wheels

spoiler- 75-80% of coupes I've seen have em

sunroof (Also not sure if this is standard on the option list)- Not standard, but you would be hard pressed to find one that doesn't have one.

under 40k miles- Most 05's will be over this, Some 06's and most 0'7s will be good.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 AM
My car just turned 40000 miles and is a 2005 Black on Black, 6 speed, with Nav, and sunroof. I feel so lucky now after reading this post! I did special order it this way.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Hmm, 90NA300Z....I loved my '92300ZXTT! Good Luck finding what you're looking for, '06+ G35 OB 6MT Coupe. Search all Infiniti dealerships within a 50 mile radius on line and check their inventory's. It wouldn't hurt to make contact and let them know what you're looking for. Be very specific about what you want including mileage. Before you lay down the $ do a CARFAX so you'll know the cars history....no junkyard dogs please!
Gary

Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 90NA300ZX
One main question i have is regarding the VQ35-HR...everything i'm finding leads me to believe that this version of the motor was only available in the 2007-2008 SEDAN and not the COUPE? Is this true. I'd like the option of the dual throttle, amonth the other perks of the 2007 VQ motor...but i'm looking strictly for a coupe.
True. The HR was never available on the coupe. The G coupe went from DE to VHR. If you really want a coupe with an HR motor, you may want to consider a used 350Z.

The changes from DE to HR / VHR are dramatic. The newer engines are a much stronger design in terms of journal bearing and rod design. You already know about the intake. Bigger gains are also available from engine mods, especially when using forced induction.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjd240
My car just turned 40000 miles and is a 2005 Black on Black, 6 speed, with Nav, and sunroof. I feel so lucky now after reading this post! I did special order it this way.
I feel like i have a gem then.. 16k on an 06 Black on Black fully loaded minus RAS, felt the RAS was a waste to have.

To the OP, be aware that the 05's and early 06's were know to have oil consumption issues. Check your oil weekly to make sure your motor isnt one of the ones that have that issue. As far as projectors, those came standard on the 06 and 07's. So your really limiting yourself to the 06 - 07 coupes. or you can always buy a used set and install them. Navigation is a joke with the push **** thing. You can save and opt out of that and install an after market double din which will be touch screen let alone upgrade the ****ty stock radio.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JoeR45; 03-08-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Funny you mentioned that because i was JUST reading some of the sticky threads and am having trouble finding a thread that explains what this problem is. I'm seeing threads about oil consumption and infiniti admitting this was a real problem, but see nothing regarding what miles this problem starts at, if it was covered by a recall/warranty, if after a certain mileage i'm **** outta luck and infiniti will not fix this problem even though they admit it to be faulty design, etc...

Just what is "oil consumption?"

I'm also seeing a thread about people finding pools of oil by the spark plugs, specifically by cylinder #6...is this the same thing as the "oil consumption" issue?

I'm sure if i check service records on a car before buynig it, i'd see if this was a problem the car had and if it was properly taken care of...i refuse to buy a car without seeing a full service history/carfax.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The oil consumption issue from what i read up on was people were burning just about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I'm not sure about the warrenty on that since I was fortunate to not experience the issue. I know theres write ups about this on the forum.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:51 AM
id get an 06 or above,6MT,( i dont see a point of gettin auto. if you're in a sport's car but that's just me).

Old 03-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Is the oil consumption issue due to piston rings, valve covers, or valve cover gaskets? i can't seem to find which since all three have been mentioned in my research on the topic.

Also, what is infiniti willing to do to address this issue...if i buy a used car from a private party, am i on my own if this problem comes up within a few months or will infiniti recognize that it's their faulty design that caused the problem, and offer to fix it?

I really wanted a G35 coupe...but after reading all these horror stories, i'm terrified to step into one fearing i'll need to replace the motor in a few months and will have no warranty option to cover it for me since i don't want to have to be bound to buying from an infiniti dealer.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Nissan isn't going to cover your engine if you have OC issues without a warranty. Having been on DRIVER for a few years even when they know it's an issue some dealerships will do anything not to replace the engine. Like blaming an aftermarket exhaust, that why we call them "Stealerships!" The problem is piston rings although I've never seen anyone from Nissan admit that's what causes the failure. This is a good argument for buying a used G35 from the dealership and getting an extended warranty. Kinda like pay now or take a chance on getting screwed down the road....
Gary

Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Don't bother getting the nav, it sucks. The toggle stick makes it really annoying to operate. Use that money on a nice double din with touchscreen nav.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Nissan isn't going to cover your engine if you have OC issues without a warranty. Having been on DRIVER for a few years even when they know it's an issue some dealerships will do anything not to replace the engine. Like blaming an aftermarket exhaust, that why we call them "Stealerships!" The problem is piston rings although I've never seen anyone from Nissan admit that's what causes the failure. This is a good argument for buying a used G35 from the dealership and getting an extended warranty. Kinda like pay now or take a chance on getting screwed down the road....
Gary

This is why i was considering going through a stealership...so i can get an extended warranty. I do all my own labor and most of my friends' too...but it's just getting to the point where working on cars isn't fun for me any more when it's repairs/maintenance...(upgrades and mods i still love installing ).

To me it'd almost be worth paying $2k more on sticker for the option of putting down another $1500 on a warranty to last me a few more years...that way i can romp on my car all i want and know if anything breaks i'm covered. Sometimes peace of mind is worth more than a few grand...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In the market for my first G35...school me please!