Wheels, Spoiler, Exhaust and Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2010 | 11:41 PM
|
Wheels, Spoiler, Exhaust and Maintenance

Hi Everyone

Catch Can

So to start off, a simple plug change turned into tearing the engine apart. The coil over bolt was seized in the valve cover and of course the head broke off. then the screw extractor broke off inside the cover as well. Long story short I ended up buying a new valve cover and ended up replacing all gaskets, seals, etc on the way into getting the valve cover out.

The reason I was changing plugs is I was getting the engine ping and replaced them with Iridium to see if that helped. It did, but it was still there. When I was taking the manifold collector apart I found a bunch of oil pooled in the lower collector. I have read on here that a catch can is the best way to solve for this.

Q. Any recommendations on a silver or billet catch can. (links please)

Along with this I got on a Maintenance kick and replaced the following: Rear Diff, Front Diff, Flushed Radiator, Power Steering and Brake Lines.

Q. Any reason the Transfer fluid needs to be done? I have almost 80k on car and dealership just put in a new Transmission at about 65k. Would they have done this as well during a trans swap?

Spoiler

Next thing, Spoiler. I am going with the OEM as I like the look of it. I was originally looking at Grubbs Euro, but decided OEM. Local Infiniti said $383, which is $100 cheaper then all on-line shops (i.e infinitipartspeople.com).

Q. Anyone know how the OEM light hooks up on the Spoiler? Do I pull the harness for rear window CHMSL and plug and play or is it a wire tap job?

Wheels

Next up, Wheels. Need input on wheels.

If I go with Discount Tire (local tire shop), they have Drag wheels:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...9675&rc=AZWINT

Q. DR-19 style or DR-34 style?
Q. Then on Drag wheels, which color? Chrome, Machined, Charcoal Grey, Charcoal Grey w/ Machined lip, Black with Machined lip. You get the idea. The DR-19's have the rivets and I think a deeper lip.

If I go with TireRack.com, they have this Bremmer Kraft BR05 wheel:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Q. Do you guys like it better then the Drag wheel?

Exhaust

Looking at going with the Stillen Gen2 Cat Back setup.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...odel=G35%204DR

Q. Was looking at the Borla, but wanted to know if anyone has personally heard the Borla and well as this gen2 system. I want the Coupe sounding exhaust and not really interested in the HP, but will welcome it.

I know my opinion is all that counts as I have to live with my decisions, but I will take any input from you guys as it will help make my decisions more informed.

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:03 AM
as far as the spoiler goes. dont buy a spoiler. you can easily just trade trunk lids with someone on this forum that wants a wingless trunk. do u have a sedan or a coupe? and what color? im sure someone will just swap with you.

and for the wheels. you might want to hold off on the wheels if those are wheel choices. you can find alot better wheels in the marketplace. please dont go the cheap route on wheels u will regret it later down the line.

and finally concerning the exhaust the stillen sounds good!

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:13 AM
|
Originally Posted by sk8bo4rdv
as far as the spoiler goes. dont buy a spoiler. you can easily just trade trunk lids with someone on this forum that wants a wingless trunk. do u have a sedan or a coupe? and what color? im sure someone will just swap with you.

and for the wheels. you might want to hold off on the wheels if those are wheel choices. you can find alot better wheels in the marketplace. please dont go the cheap route on wheels u will regret it later down the line.

and finally concerning the exhaust the stillen sounds good!
On the Spoiler, I have the Liquid Platinum (Bright Silver). It is a G35x Sedan. I hadn't thought about swapping lids, but it does make sense. If anyone is interested let me know and we can talk. Only issues with my is the Infiniti logo is starting to peel, otherwise paint is perfect.

As for the wheels, it is not really about costs, but I am also not going to spend 500 a wheel for 18's. I really want the stock 18's (double spoke sport wheels), but can't find any for a decent price without curb rash or other damage.

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by BacaraG35
On the Spoiler, I have the Liquid Platinum (Bright Silver). It is a G35x Sedan. I hadn't thought about swapping lids, but it does make sense. If anyone is interested let me know and we can talk. Only issues with my is the Infiniti logo is starting to peel, otherwise paint is perfect.

As for the wheels, it is not really about costs, but I am also not going to spend 500 a wheel for 18's. I really want the stock 18's (double spoke sport wheels), but can't find any for a decent price without curb rash or other damage.
take pics of your trunk lid as post in the exterior marketplace as FT. and the emblem peeling shouldnt be a biggie since the person looking debadge can just get rid of it all together.

try looking on my350z.com for wheels as well you might find something you like there as well. if not just wait off on the wheels till you can find a quality set for the price you like.

hope that helps

Old 03-21-2010 | 10:33 AM
If youre going to get drag or something similar, just stick with OEM. Your goal is to move forward not backwards.

Old 04-25-2010 | 04:51 PM
|
Thoughts?

Any thought on this wheel in a 19?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=8&vid=009675

Attached Thumbnails Wheels, Spoiler, Exhaust and Maintenance-konill.bcm.ang.jpg  
Old 04-25-2010 | 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by BacaraG35
Hi Everyone

Next thing, Spoiler. I am going with the OEM as I like the look of it. I was originally looking at Grubbs Euro, but decided OEM. Local Infiniti said $383, which is $100 cheaper then all on-line shops .
Is that painted? Led brake light too?

I want an oem wing but I dont want an aftermarket replica. Everyone I see installed has a dim or dying third stop light. Most owner leave the original light still working too.

For me it's oem quality or nothing else (unless I went with grubs or something more expensive)

Old 04-25-2010 | 08:45 PM
|
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Is that painted? Led brake light too?

I want an oem wing but I dont want an aftermarket replica. Everyone I see installed has a dim or dying third stop light. Most owner leave the original light still working too.

For me it's oem quality or nothing else (unless I went with grubs or something more expensive)
On the spoiler, I have decided that the one that the local infiniti shop quoted me was the replacement spoiler painted and not the accessory spoiler which gives you all the seals, bolts, etc. I will be picking up the OEM spoiler now from Circle Infiniti (site sponsor) for a great deal.

Old 04-25-2010 | 10:36 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Premier Member
I have an NRG catch can and it works well. I got it as much for dress up though as I did for efficiency. They're under $100 I believe. Send M Motorsports a PM to inquire on pricing. It comes with really cheap hoses so you'll probably want to replace those pretty quick. My hoses collapsed in a couple of weeks so I went with braided.

Old 05-03-2010 | 02:11 PM
|
Anyone have thoughts on post #6?

Old 05-03-2010 | 11:34 PM
Here's an opinion. It's probably junk. Any wheel that's $165 new is going to be cast, heavy, and probably not very strong. Expect a bent rim if you hit a moderately sized pothole. If you're going to go aftermarket on wheels, then plan on spending some money or don't bother. You'd be 10x better off taking that $700+ and putting it towards a good set of OEM 19's. They are vastly superior to those Konig's. They're forged, lighter, and much stronger than any cheap aftermarket. You can usually find a good set for around $1000 in the Marketplace.

Old 05-04-2010 | 12:39 AM
|
^^ I was hoping for input more on look as I completely understand the quality factor. Price is not an issue, it was more look. I have searched for awhile on aftermarket and decided to go with coupe 19's, that was until I found this wheel.

I did talk to discount and they said they are apx 27lbs, but either way I am not real concerned about weight as a priority if this is incorrect. Good thing is, I live in AZ and I can't remember the last time I saw a pothole (not saying they don't exist, but not where I live and drive ).

I am definitely open to negative feedback as well even though I will ultimately make the decision on Wed when they test fit the 19 for me.

Old 05-04-2010 | 01:08 AM
In that case, they look decent enough, but that's up to you. What we like shouldn't impact what you like. I prefer a more OEM-type look, and all those wheels kinda have that. My favorite is the gunmetal DR-34. I prefer my wheels with one color, and those should work with your LP.