The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Low / No Oil Consumption Gs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
I change my own oil all the time and I know that a good amount of oil leaks out of the filter area.. But then again, the drain bolt is removed at the same time.

Next time, I'll remove the filter 1st just to see what happens.
When is your next oil change? I'm interested to see if this check valve theory holds.

Also, this check valve could be limiting oil flow on some higher mileage motors. Possible to remove it maybe? I see no purpose in preventing backflow when the motor is off...

Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
It's going to be a while. I just changed my oil 2 weeks ago. Someone else should volunteer.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Someone test this theory please. lol.

On a side note, Just taught the girlfriend how to change oil. That was funny... She almost dropped an oil filter full of oil on her face.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned
^ lol.

My face is never directly under the oil pan, oil filter, etc etc. I hate the smell of used oil.

It was a lot worse when I had the teg. The oil filter was behind the block. And you had to reach way up there to get it. You would have to craw back to the near middle of the car too.

Unlike the G, where the bolt and filter is near the front. My only gripe is the 15+ bolts to get to the 2 things. I found a way just to remove about 5-6 bolts and fold the plastic back to get to where I need to, but it's still a pain because you don't get a much leverage with the plastic in the way.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM
My face is never directly under the oil pan, oil filter, etc etc. I hate the smell of used oil.
Hers was.

Solution, I just removed the undertray. Fuggit.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have problems with Oil consumption.. Knock on wood. But then again, my car has barely 10k miles and this isn't my daily driver.

I did have problems with the following:

1) At low speed, the Tranny make some type of grinding sound.
- Fixed thru warranty

2) Rear was making some strange popping clanking noise
- Fixed thru warranty - Cause - Loose axle bolt, re-torqued and it's all good

3) Creaking sound coming from the dash,
- Not yet fixed, "supposedly Normal" according to this forum, yet this is a TSB on it.

4) Creaking sound coming from rear seat
- Not yet fixed. TSB is issued on this

5) Horrible uneven tire wear, aligned to spec by Nissan and then again by Performance Plus in LB. Problems still recurs.
- Front driver side - Outer tire wear, horrible feathering
- Front passenger side - feathering, not bad is driver side
- Both Rear - feathering inside

6) Creaking noise from the sunroof.
- Not fixed yet. TSB issued.

7) Right side, rear speaker
- popping noise?? Static?

I might take the car in when Infiniti issues a recall on the air bags. I'll let them take a look at all this..

But it's nice to see that you're happy that your car burns oil. If that was my car, I would be really pissed. Maybe when it's out of warranty it'll show signs of oil consumption.
Did you even read what I wrote? I said that it's low 1/4 quart or less each oil change and that it's probably due more to the fact that I'm running a larger than stock oil filter. Even if it was burning 1/4 quart in 4,000 miles, I would consider that normal on any vehicle.

Your constant b****ing about all things Infiniti on every thread you post in is very annoying. I think more than a few people on this board would agree with me. Maybe instead of complaining about every little creak and pop on your car, you could do some research and learn how to fix something yourself.

Last edited by OKStateG35; 05-05-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned
ahh, back to the "it's normal excuse"..

also, you know what you can do since my post are bugging you? Add me to your ignore lists.

Last edited by jibberjabbers; 05-05-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM
ahh, back to the "it's normal excuse"..

also, you know what you can do since my post are bugging you? Add me to your ignore lists.
Who is making excuses? You need to work on your reading comprehension. I think anyone who knows anything about cars would agree that the excessive oil burning experienced by several G35 owners is not normal. In my particular case I have already mentioned twice that I believe the 1/4 quart low level of my oil is primarily due to the larger oil filter I use. Even if we pretend I never said that (like you continue to do) and assume my engine is burning 1/16th of a quart per 1000 miles I would still consider that in the normal range since all combustion engines burn oil to some extent. We can argue all day long about what should be considered normal, but the point is moot because I don't believe my car is experiencing any noticeable oil consumption.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
there is a minimal oil usage period. look at your intake plenum to see if it has oil or not in it. bet it does . as far as oil leaking around your filter area.....that would be the oil cooler seal leaking. cheap and easy fix. buy a new seal from the dealer, have a 22mm wrench when you do your next oil change and take the bolt out, change seal, and put it back together. vwallaaaaaa.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
Even if it was burning 1/4 quart in 4,000 miles, I would consider that normal on any vehicle.
ahh, back to the "it's normal excuse".
Are you saying that it's not normal? What, too high? too low? If you're expecting to burn less than a 1/4 quart every 4000 miles on a car with 50K plus miles, you have seriously unrealistic expectations. Or you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP here, thanks for all the info guys. I originally thought this was an MT issue, then thought all G's took a quart per 3k miles, now I know it is all over the map

I'll keep checking my dipstick for now but will certainly get the dealers inputs (Infiniti extended warranty).

Still love the G!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Why dont you just drain your oil into an Empty oil pan and pour that oil pan into one of those 5 gallon oil containers.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 04 g35 coupe with 42k miles, my last oil change I drained out about 4 1/4 quarts of oil. I drove about 3,500 miles in between changes now, so I'm guessing I burn half a quart or more.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
My 05' "Rev Up" used about a table spoon between 7500 mile oil changes for the first three or four years. Now It uses about four ounces. I have almost 90K on it now.

As for the Dyno vs Syn Oil, I use Valvoline Syn oil and I love it. I have used Mobil one in the past. Funny thing, my Son bought a new 2006 Jeep Unlimited with the old straight six. He tried Syn oil and it practically RAN thru the motor. It used like two qts in five hundred miles. He switched back to dyno oil and it hasn't used a drop since. He had ten thousand miles on it when he tried the syn so it was not a break in issue.

Last edited by Texasscout; 05-07-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 AM
I run valvoline high mileage oil and Fram filter. Don't change my oil. Only refill..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low / No Oil Consumption Gs?