The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Used oil analysis and reality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Used oil analysis and reality

Do the differences in metals in the used oil between Mobil 1 or Castrol or Amsoil or PP or RP and other synthetics really amount to significant changes in engine wear over 50K or 100K miles, even if the oil is changed at regular intervals.

I read the numbers and statistics and the passion of those who believe in only this or that oil--- but I've not read where the various wear numbers translate into actual mechanical changes that require repairs or that affect hp in a measurable way. Did I miss this somewhere?

Old 05-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
But to answer your question, no, it really doesn't as long as you're not running nos or FI. Changing the oil regularly is still the best thing you can do and it probably outweighs the type of oil used.

But there is valitity in those tests. Because some oils are expensive. So seeing how X oil tests out vs Y oil is interesting to read. It also dispels alot of myths regarding how some hyped up oils aren't really worth their price once the tests are done. Other oils are validated by their testing. ie.. RP is significantly more expensive than PP.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^Yep.

Also, Mobil1 and Castrol are about the same price for full synthetic, but the Castrol significantly outperforms the Mobil1 on UOA... so why not just get the better oil for the same price.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is really silly to see so much debate over which oil is best. I don't think anyone will argue that there is absolutely no difference if you change the oil regularly or more frequently if you drive it hard.

We just love our cars and like to use the best regardless. I personally have put on over 100k miles using only mobile1 every 7500 miles.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys for your replies. I don't think I asked the question right:

All things being equal, if I change my oil every 5K and the UOA results show that Mobil 1 has higher wear numbers than many other synthetics-- b/c according to everyone that posts with such results, they will be higher no matter the mileage--- do those numbers translate into noticeable/real wear or are the wear numbers so small (in micrometres) as to be insignificant, even at 100K miles? This is not about frequency of oil change since it seems the wear numbers exist irrespective of mileage on the oil.

What is being is asked is: Are these numbers a moot point given that the measurements are so small (in micrometres I believe) as to be insignificant in real life conditions-- or are they something to be concerned about?

It's a different question than what is being answered. Jeff, I think you answered it, but I'm not sure and you know my English is not the best. Tick, this is sort of where I'm leaning too.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:45 AM
? = 2B || !2B

^In the long run, it probably makes little if any difference.

That being said... why wouldn't you just use Castrol? Normally is the same price, or slightly cheaper than Mobile1.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
But to answer your question, no, it really doesn't as long as you're not running nos or FI. Changing the oil regularly is still the best thing you can do and it probably outweighs the type of oil used.

But there is valitity in those tests. Because some oils are expensive. So seeing how X oil tests out vs Y oil is interesting to read. It also dispels alot of myths regarding how some hyped up oils aren't really worth their price once the tests are done. Other oils are validated by their testing. ie.. RP is significantly more expensive than PP.
Wow! Jeff and I agree on something!

He's right, the main thing is changing it regularly. Use a name brand oil and a good filter and you won't have any problems.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Scout and Jeff--- amazing things happen when you move away from the politics section--- coffee anyone?...Or is this just too much for for right now?

So, given this, what is the purpose of the long threads on the UOA's and the occasional insult? Just curious!

But thanks so much for answering the practical question.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:12 PM
What that amounts to is bickering over 2% of what is the "best" oil. In reality, ALL name brand oils will cover 98% of your protection and the rest of them are bickering over the last 2%. It only matter when you are doing extended change intervals (15,000+) or racing.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:14 PM
? = 2B || !2B

^Know ye not?
The internet itself was BUILT on the foundation of bickering over 2%

Old 05-09-2010, 03:14 PM
AMEN Brother!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
What that amounts to is bickering over 2% of what is the "best" oil. In reality, ALL name brand oils will cover 98% of your protection and the rest of them are bickering over the last 2%. It only matter when you are doing extended change intervals (15,000+) or racing.
Very well said!

If you want to go 15,000 miles between oil changes or do a lot of racing, it would be worth to research which oil will work best. Changing every 5k miles, won't make any difference which oil you use.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
do those numbers translate into noticeable/real wear or are the wear numbers so small (in micrometres) as to be insignificant, even at 100K miles
Now I see. That's a very difficult question. There are so many varibles within the life of a motor over the course of 100k, it's hard to tell.

But consider this. If the price is about the same, why not use an oil that happens to test out better? Less wear means the motor is operating as close to it's factory tolerances as possible. Which equates to more hp, better mpg, less oil usage etc etc.. The differences are probably small but why not use what tends to test out better? All other things being equal?

Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
? = 2B || !2B

^This, exactly 100%

Old 05-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Now I see. That's a very difficult question. There are so many varibles within the life of a motor over the course of 100k, it's hard to tell.
Excellent point. Too many variables to ever know which oil worked best over 100k miles. You can't rely on the few UOA's that people post. It would take a huge study with before and after dyno's. That would never happen because the differenced would be so minimal that no one would waste their time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Used oil analysis and reality