G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Anyone tried a Bypass Oil Filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tried a Bypass Oil Filter?

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?groupID=54

looks promising. and filters to 5 microns. any inputs?

I have had one installed for the past year and change my oil every 10k miles along with adding some lucas oil stabilizer every couple thousand miles.

My G35 is a 2006 and when installed had about 24k miles and presently has around 33k miles. I don't recall having any oil consumption problems, or any strange engine noise.

I should probably read up on if this will void my warranty.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I really dont think its worth it

ive had many cars run well into the 200k mark without any type of extra filter besides the oil filter.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
i would prefer to just re-locate the filter so i can change it without removing the skid plates under the car. i know porsche uses something like this because my boss' carrera has a 80k mile oil change interval (or some exaggerated number like that) but i simply don't understand how they pull that off. maybe one day ill go read up on it.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
i know porsche uses something like this because my boss' carrera has a 80k mile oil change interval (or some exaggerated number like that) but i simply don't understand how they pull that off. maybe one day ill go read up on it.
Here ya go

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1064407

They pull it off because the oil pan is so large and they push the limits of synthetic oil. More oil means longer oil change intervals and 20 k oil change interval looks nice to customers. Its like when platinum plugs came out and caddys were sold with 100k miles spark plugs. Sure sounds cheaper than 25k mile spark plug changes to grandpa.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
i would prefer to just re-locate the filter so i can change it without removing the skid plates under the car. i know Porsche uses something like this because my boss' carrera has a 80k mile oil change interval (or some exaggerated number like that) but i simply don't understand how they pull that off. maybe one day ill go read up on it.
Many company's sell oil filter relocation kits but there's not a lot of room in our cars to do so. You only need to remove four of the bolts that hold up the under cover on our cars to do an oil change or if you're extremely lazy cut a larger hole in the cover so you can change it without removing anything.
Gary

Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Here ya go

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1064407

They pull it off because the oil pan is so large and they push the limits of synthetic oil. More oil means longer oil change intervals and 20 k oil change interval looks nice to customers. Its like when platinum plugs came out and caddys were sold with 100k miles spark plugs. Sure sounds cheaper than 25k mile spark plug changes to grandpa.
Sweet info Mustang. I will definitely look into this. Probably hope to pair this with a larger oil filter for longevity.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Many company's sell oil filter relocation kits but there's not a lot of room in our cars to do so. You only need to remove four of the bolts that hold up the under cover on our cars to do an oil change or if you're extremely lazy cut a larger hole in the cover so you can change it without removing anything.
Gary
i'm assuming by undercover you just mean the little flap beneath the oil filter because it seemed like that whole skid plate took alot more effort to remove, plus my floor jack only goes so high and i still found working underneath with the skid plate hanging to be a pain.

i just find more often than not i end up getting oil inside the skid plate and then i have to go around cleaning it up by manuevering my hand in there and what not. my preference is to vacuum the oil out of the pan through the fill area and if i can replace the filter just as easily then that's just gravy to me. I haven't really poked around in the engine bay to look for space for a kit but maybe i will this weekend.