The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

HKS knock offs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
knock-offs....why buy some cheap azz system you have to add a crossover to and it still doesn't line up correctly to save a few $$? The OE exhaust is better made and would sound good if you just add HFCs, this isn't the Honda you used to drive don't make it so!
Gary
Amen brotha..

Old 07-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
knock-offs....why buy some cheap azz system you have to add a crossover to and it still doesn't line up correctly to save a few $$? The OE exhaust is better made and would sound good if you just add HFCs, this isn't the Honda you used to drive don't make it so!
Gary

Listen here. The reason why I added an x-pipe is becaust I prefer an x-pipe to an h-pipe. The x-pipe has nothing to do with the tip fitment. Yes it was cheap. $260 cheap, compared to over $1k for some bent pipes. The OE exhaust is well made, but it doesn't flow as well. I also seek more power as I visit the track often. If it breaks, big deal. It's cheap. If all I did was parking lot meets where the cars don't move, maybe so. Adding cats does to the OE system isn't the best for flow. For $260, it still made good power before nad after the osiris tune.

I bought it for function not looks. Not to look cool in parking lot meets. I don't have a show car. It looks good enough for me, and the misaligned tip is a very easy fix. Just bend a hanger or reweld one of the tips.

Gary C, I remember seeing you at the HB meet. If your at the Riverside meet, prove to me that the HKS dyno's higher.

The Honda comment just takes the cake.

Last edited by Jairen; 07-12-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Jairen
Listen here. The reason why I added an x-pipe is becaust I prefer an x-pipe to an h-pipe. The x-pipe has nothing to do with the tip fitment. Yes it was cheap. $260 cheap, compared to over $1k for some bent pipes. The OE exhaust is well made, but it doesn't flow as well. I also seek more power as I visit the track often. If it breaks, big deal. It's cheap. If all I did was parking lot meets where the cars don't move, maybe so. Adding cats does to the OE system isn't the best for flow. For $260, it still made good power before nad after the osiris tune.

I bought it for function not looks. Not to look cool in parking lot meets. I don't have a show car. It looks good enough for me, and the misaligned tip is a very easy fix. Just bend a hanger or reweld one of the tips.

Gary C, I remember seeing you at the HB meet. If your at the Riverside meet, prove to me that the HKS dyno's higher.

The Honda comment just takes the cake.

If you haven't seen gary's posts before he almost always supports the most expensive options. I mean that is fine, it floats his boat so who cares. Now giving a biased, partially untrue statement about "how crappy" the knock off's are is a different story...

Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
I have the X02 and I love it. To me, there isn't anything wrong with buying a knock off, so long as it looks decent and floats your taste.

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a replica exhaust so long as it doesn't look tacky.... like it has green tips or something.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
wait around, and see what pops up in the marketplace. I bought my hks used for $650 from a local

Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Just get the real thing...

Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screw both HKS and X02... AMUSE babee FTMFW...
(just kidding around, trying to stir up some emotions)
bottom line OP get what YOU want.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:51 PM
A32
Originally Posted by Beebo
read this review and then at the end of it you still want hks then that's what you should get. I'm pretty sure there's a hks exhaust review out there too so read that one first and do vis versa. GL i'm picking up mine from henry@statik Friday, I'll let you know .

Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by A32
read this review and then at the end of it you still want hks then that's what you should get. I'm pretty sure there's a hks exhaust review out there too so read that one first and do vis versa. GL i'm picking up mine from henry@statik Friday, I'll let you know .
Just got mine from statik today and I'm stoked its going on later this week. As for the HKS vs knock off, even if it rusts out you can get another have both installed for about half the price of the HKS and get more power out of the knock off, for me power > name brand any day

Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 PM
A32
Originally Posted by johnnyd6404
Just got mine from statik today and I'm stoked its going on later this week. As for the HKS vs knock off, even if it rusts out you can get another have both installed for about half the price of the HKS and get more power out of the knock off, for me power > name brand any day
Ah that's awesome, keep me updated

Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyd6404
Still to this day, nobody had proven gains with the HKS. For $1000-1500 brand new, I'd expect a dyno at least. For a $260 exhaust, I wouldn't expect dyno's. In the end, it's bent pipes with straight through mufflers and resonators.

If I were to spend that kind of money, I'd go Motordyne all the way over HKS. Proven power with direct support from the owner on the forums, v-band clamps, interchangeability, posted R&D independent dyno's, made in America and local if your in SoCal. None of those can be said for the HKS. Not many people with an HKS takes there car to the track. Most have claimed in a previous thread it was more for looks and status.

Nothing against HKS without a doubt. Superior build but expensive price with no numbers. I need something more than just a status exhaust to look cool at parking lot meets. For a 1k plus price tag new, it better have some numbers to back up the price unless they are advertising it solely as a parking lot pimpin piece. Obviously not since it is called the "hi-power" exhaust with no dynos.

With that said, the X02 is no diamond. It has it's flaws not seen in the HKS. As I mentioned, the misaligned tips and rust issue (I love in SoCal, no worries). Most replace the tips anyways. Also, the h-pipe isn't a true h-pipe. The hole is only 1/2" drilled hole connecting the 2 primaries instead of 2.25". The perforated pipe in the resonators on the y-pipe tend to come loose causing rattling and impede flow. If you are adding in an, that problem is null as it is replaced by the Magnaflow x-pipe ($70-90 shipped).

In the end, it still a bang for the buck exhaust.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by g35sweetness; 08-04-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My cheap Knock Off with my intake that got me +18hp after a tune @ Uprev Austin today ...... hhahahahahahaa!!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
the only thing that has rusted on my xo2 (that I've had for a year now with a huge snow storm too) is the burnt tip and that was an easy fix, I just turned it around so now it looks like stock tips...much cleaner too but thats just my taste

Last edited by G35Bandit; 07-17-2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: adding detail
Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Motordyne over HKS? LOL Motordyne is just another HKS rip off. When did they open for business? 2007?

Maybe I should copy the Amuse exhaust, sell it for cheap and call my company Amuze Engineering..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HKS knock offs