The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Winter Setup - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
I bought my G Coupe this summer and unfortunately I will be driving the car in the winter. It's getting to be late september and I am starting to think about what I will have to do to prep my car for the winter.

2.) Oil

I don't know too much about car engines but I was wondering if it would be better to use a certain type of oil for cold winter months. The previous owner of my car religiously used Mobil 1 syn and I have kept that going since I bought the car but I was wondering what the best type of oil to use would be. Or, should I just stick to using the Mobil 1 syn?
As others will tell you, there really is no best oil if you change it religiously as called for. Have been using Castrol Edge, and others with good wear numbers (depending on what's on sale/clearance). What I do do is only use good filters like Pure One or Bosch, and I change them every 3.5-4K miles while I keep the oil for 6-8K miles.
3.) Rust protecion

I live in upstate NY (Rochester) and we can get a LOT of snow sometimes...up to 10-15" in one night is not unheard of here. Since we get so much snow our town likes to use a LOT of salt. I was wondering if anyone has done any rust protection to their car to protect the undercarrage of the car. My previous car was a honda prelude and I had to fix the exhaust of the car multiple times due to holes created by rust and I don't want that to happen to my G. Has anyone seen positive benefits to doing this?
For the exhaust, I have it coated with a special paint sealant that's heat and rust resistant (the name escapes me now). It's painted black up to the tips, which remain chrome colored. I don't touch anything else on it but do wash the undercarriage weekly in the winter.

4.) Body protection

I plan on keeping my car clean and waxed during the winter but are there any special types of waxes meant for winter protection?

I know that I have a lot of questions but I appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks in advance!
I wax/seal my car monthly over the summer and quarterly over the winter, with Collinite 845, which is a fairly indestructible sealant used on boats, buses and other painted surfaces that get hit with a lot of salt and chemicals. There are others who use different sealants.

Tires... I use all seasons (Hankook H727 or H418) and have had zero problems in the ice/snow. Today I'm running 235/55/17's all around, but a 245 will fit the rears easily.

Good luck and I hope this helps.