G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Clanking noise when braking.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clanking noise when braking.

I've got a used 2006 G35 6MT coupe with 75k miles. Runs great but over the last few weeks it has started making a clinking noise from the left rear when I brake at slow speeds right before I stop. It is almost a ratcheting noise at about the same speed as tire rotation: clink, clink, clink. Let the brake out an it stops. Happens with clutch in or out. Brakes seem to be working fine.

I have not removed the wheel but brake caliper etc appear normal. Will be several days before I can get it on a jack and remove wheel to inspect closer.

Any ideas?

P.S.: Hand brake works but is loose-ish but using the handbrake to slow the car does not reproduce the sound. Only regular brakes.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
It could be uneven brake pad deposits on the rear rotor, or less likely, some sort of rotor warping. The hand brake is a drum brake inside the rotor and since that makes no noise, it's got to be disc-brake related. If the car brakes correctly and doesn't pull, wouldn't worry too much about it, but just to be safe, take off the wheel and check that all caliper bolts are tight, there are only four of them.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM
N80
Thanks, that makes sense. Will follow up when I've had a chance to check it out.

George

Old 09-22-2010, 06:35 PM
N80
I pulled the rear wheel off and inspected everything. All the caliper bolts are tight. Nothing appears to be touching the dust shield. Rotor appears normal with no grooves or uneven wear. Of course it may not be possible to eyeball warping. Could not rotate hub/rotor as I was by myself and even with it chocked I wasn't willing to take emergency brake off and put it in neutral. (Live downtown now, no garage, no really level spot to work).

Brake pads looked a bit thin to me. Any chance this noise is the wear warning noise? Most other ones I've heard were more of a squeak. This is a distinct clinking noise.

What about a U/CV joint in the half shaft? Don't know why it would only do it under braking though.

Anyway, I thinking about getting some ceramic (street) pads and getting the system flushed and bled and changing to Motul so I may have the brake guys see what they can find.

Any other tips or ideas would be appreciated.

George

Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
really the only thing it coule be is something to do with your caliper or your brake pads or rotor.... there is really nothing else it could be when you narrow it down to only makeing the noise when you brake... did you make sure everything was tightened to specs including your lug nuts. other than that i cant help you besides completely take it apart and look for anything unusual.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Some of these cars do develop an axle click, my 2003 6MT has it, but that happens when you transition on and off throttle, so it's likely not that, it's some sort of brake thing, most likely. Sometimes, when one of the pads is down to the metal backing, you get clinking like that when the metal contacts the rotor, since all rotors are slightly eccentric due to normal wear and tear. If The pads you saw are thin, I'd look over all of them carefully, both sides. The inboard pads wear faster in the rear.

Be careful with the Motul fluid, I use it in my track car, and it's great when it's fresh, but it absorbs water quicker than other fluids, I get less than 6 months out of it and I live in dry California weather. For a street car, I'd use something else. I use Castrol LMA fluid (like $10/qt) in my G35 and it works great.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
I've had the same issue for >60K miles with no untoward affect. I took the wheel off and inspected the rotors and pads carefully-- nothing! Then I tapped the pads and tried to move them up and down and jiggle them, the light clicking sound was there, although there was plenty of pad left. Sometimes the small clip that attaches to the brake pads is loose or broken. The best solution for that on my ancient Volvo was to buy a brake hardware kit.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Last edited by Infiniti Chica; 09-22-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 AM
N80
Thanks guys. Agree that it probably isn't axle click. No click with acceleration. Time to pull the brakes apart and check things out. A hardware kit is probably a good idea.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you ever fix this problem I have the same problem

Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
N80
Nope. Still there. No change. No problems though.

However, I did just recently get the Infiniti service history on my car and one of the previous owners had the same complaint. I don't have the record in my hand right now but it said something about lubricating the brake pad backing plate or something like that. I'll try to get hold of the record so I can tell you exactly what it said.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
N80
Service record says "no lube between rear pads and torque member."

Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM
N80
Here is a follow up on this problem. It was the shim/shim cover. I recently changed pads myself and lubed up the shims real good and the clicking noise went away. But, its been two weeks and its already starting back. I'm going to buy new shims.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Thats good to know....I recently developed a similar problem

Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
This may sound heinous, but I don't use shims with my pads, just whatever is on the back... plus lube.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
It's your axles. I've seen them make all kinds of noises under any condition (even braking).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clanking noise when braking.