Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for it!!! (easier said living in AZ)

Attached Thumbnails smoked tail lights illegal? (vegas)-g-back.jpg  
Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
it's not illegal - this has been discussed in other threads... check you local VC...

In CA, as long as they illuminate red and can be seen from a distance of 500 feet they are legal... with LEDs they light up red. The law doesnt say anything about the color of the lense itself, just the color of illumination.

I've had cops behind me many times and nothing... I was pulled over one time for something entirely different and rookie cop tried to tell me it was illegal until I recited the vehicle code - his response "you seem to know what you are talking about" (yes, I do - I deal with transportation law for commercial vehicles and am constantly dealing with different vehicle codes and compliance issues)... I printed the VC and now I keep it in my glove box.

I wish people would stop posting inaccurate info out here... look up the law if you want to help someone by posting information.

BTW - to the few that keep saying its a safety issue... I've been behind vehicles with ultra red lenses when the sun is directly behind it's very difficult to tell when the brakes are on or not... ironically with tinted lenses it is VERY obvious when the brakes are on (with LEDS).

Old 10-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
i had smoked lenses on my old s-10 and never once was i pulled over or harassed by an officer.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is illegal to have anything over your tail lights that isnt the way it came from the manufacturer. I had tinted tail lights for over a year and was never harrassed by the police about them but you are using them at your own risk. For instance, if someone were to run into the back of you, you would be the at fault party no matter what because you had something over your taillights that isnt stock. All the person that ran into tha back of you would have to say is "their tail lights had some type of tint over them and i couldnt see the brake lights. It doesnt matter if they were bright enough to see, in a court of law and as far as how insurance goes....you're going to be at fault.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ please post vehicle code (or any other legal reference) to validate your post...

If you do a search for the sdame subject you will find posts I made that has the vehicle code listed... it is accurate and completely refutes what you said.

BTW, you can say whatever you want in court... all I'd have to do is take judge or commissioner or deputy to my vehicle and show that the brake lights are completely and totally visible. Then I'd sue your @ss HARD for rear ending me (or driving while blind).

If a cop writes a citation, they need to reference the vehicle code you are violation of. It's so interesting that many of us have posted cops being behind us and never mentioning taillights - and I even posted the CA VC that clearly states the reality... yet no one has ever posted the vehicle code they were in violation of for tainted taillights... hmmmm...

Old 10-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Not only are they illegal, they are ugly!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Far from. It actually helps the color flow of our cars (unless you have a laser red coupe).