The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Driving uphill from standstill in a stick shift...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a possible chance that they might not notice you roll back as long its like 2-3 inches and they are scooting forward.
From an insurance claim it should be whoever hits you from the back it should be the person who hit the back's fault

Old 12-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Deleted

Last edited by TimTran; 12-10-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by patman530
^^lol 6 years is a long time to not know how to drive on a hill
Seriously, this is quite funny.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ Lol agreed.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran into this situation once. My buddy paid. The police cited him for "Following to closely". This is in Texas however...

This is my first manual transmission car.. I have been driving it 3 weeks and I do ok with hills. I agree with rolling back a little to let the person know to give you some room before they stop. Works well for me

Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
learning on a g35 isnt a wise choice. go jump in a honda or something. clutch/flywheel combos dont cost 700+ on those to replace lol

Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by the_coupe
learning on a g35 isnt a wise choice. go jump in a honda or something. clutch/flywheel combos dont cost 700+ on those to replace lol
I learned on my G35, it's not that bad. If you're taking so long to learn that it's wrecking your clutch, you may want to just get an automatic instead.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tragedycat
I learned on my G35, it's not that bad. If you're taking so long to learn that it's wrecking your clutch, you may want to just get an automatic instead.
+1

If you don't get the basic concepts of a manual transmission, I highly suggest a beater car... But I knew what I was going after right out of the gate. It took me about two days to get moving without clutching it so much. Then about a week to make everything smooth... Then a couple more to fine tune. Now no one is the wiser...

Plus, I have a shop at my disposal and the labor I get is free

Edit: I have to admit, this car's clutch is WAY more difficult to negotiate than my cousins Kia... That thing has about 9000 inches of engagement point. I did the clutch-adjustment mod, and helps quite a bit. (YES YES YES I KNOW ABOUT THE BAD THAT CAN CAUSE AND I ACCEPT IT)

Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Guys, try this:

When on an incline at a stop and trying to take off, let off the clutch and tap the throttle while the clutch is still in but catching just a bit. You'll start moving, and once you've gained enough momentum you can let off the clutch fully and just add more gas. This approach works because our cars are drive by wire and the computer will convert your throttle blips to an effective anti-roll back technique.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I will say that the G is my 6th manual car(Never owned an auto before), and out of all 6, it is easily the most picky and difficult to master transmission of any of them. The engagement point is so strangely high, the opposite of what you'd expect from any sports car, and it feels like it isn't linear at all. The heavy flywheel and really strange clutch made driving this car a challenge for quite a while. It took me most of my first year of ownership before I could move the car like my arms and legs. That being said, not being able to engage the clutch quickly on a hill is merely due to inexperience, the picky clutch usually just makes for less than stellar shifts in the beginning.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
^^ur saying if u roll back and hit the guy behinD u its their fault from an insurance claim point of view?

It can go either way. Depends on how far you roll back. If you roll back 2 inches and hit them, then they are following too closely. If you roll back 2 feet...then you failed to maintain safe control of your vehicle.

You can always claim the other person rear ended you, but it's your word vs theirs.

Its kinda a tricky situation, but I wouldn't call it a slam dunk that you'll win. I wouldn't want to find out

Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Never really had a problem but when someone is fairly close to my *** I tend use use option #2 handbrake.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
2, i just roll back a little bit when the car behind me is coming up, they see this and stop shorter to give me room.

Now when it snows i might have a bigger problem with it, but its kinda natural at this point. I can roll back ~ 2-3 inches at the sharpest inclines.
+1.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by patman530
^^lol 6 years is a long time to not know how to drive on a hill
Love idiot comments like these, I knew some ignorant a$$holes would come on here to talk crap, funny how you couldn't read my post and realize i haven't been driving the same car for 6 years, but thats what idiots do, just ramble on and talk crap for no apparent reason...

And I never said I was unable to drive on a hill, get your facts straight and keep your $hit talking to yourself don't need your comments buddy move on

Funny how forums are supposed to be a place where people can ask for help/advice but instead its mostly full of arrogant a$$holes thinking they know it all and are Gods at everything and no one is allowed to ask questions. I love how people are on the internet behind their little screen but in real life don't know/can't do half if not all the $hit they claim online.

/rant

Thanks to the others who shared some advice, it is rather difficult to learn to do something when I barely ever get the chance to practice since i rarely come across this situation...but it definitely is about practice, I'll find a hill to practice on, I'm sure it isnt difficult to master this, i just need a place to practice rather than in traffic with someone stuck on my a$$

Old 12-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
What I did was practice at a parking lot on the weekends at an empty college whose parking lots had some incline changes. Lots are perfect because it's large enough so that someone can just go around you.

Hills can be a pain in the ***, there's a hill here that is like a 45 degree incline lmao. I believe it's appropriately named after a mountain. What I do is just avoid it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving uphill from standstill in a stick shift...