The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
The R32 might actually be faster to 60, but the G35 is definitely faster as the speeds increase. On the track, I'd have to say the G would probably be faster, but the R would definitely be easier to drive and is a lot more forgiving. Brakes on the R are a lot better too, with better feel, less fade, and the R feels more stable under heavy braking as well.

Bolt ons for the R32 are about the same price as the quality stuff for the G. $300 for an intake, $1000-3500 for an exhaust depending on what you want, $500-1000 for a tune, Haldex upgrade is also about a grand, and now you can also get the DSG reflashed to have it launch at 4500rpm instead of 3k. Aside from those things, not much more you can do other than spending 10k on a turbo kit, but with that you'll be putting down 400whp at a minimum.

The thing is, you can do the flapper mod (free) and that is all you'll really need. The car is perfect the way it came from the factory. You also already said you did not fit in the G very well. I had issues with my G35 with that as well, and it's a bit better in my G37, but not by much. The R is a very spacious car. Plus, the interior is a lot nicer on the R, and it has a few more luxury features.

Gas mileage sucks on both though. The best I could muster with both of my Rs was about 24mpg, and that was mixed driving. I was getting about 22mpg with my G35. My G37 surprisingly is getting about 24-26 right now with same type of driving.

Go with the R man, it's a car you can use 24/7/365.

PS....if you're gonna mod the R, get either the NeuSpeed or SuperSpring exhaust (if you can deal with the noise levels) and call it a day. The sound is pure sex and you will not find a car under 100k that sounds better.
Hey man, thank you so much for all your help! I like the way the R handled, wow what a dream, cutting thru curves with ease and stopping on a dime!
So spend about 5 grand initially for an intake, exhaust, and a tune. Where do you think that will set me(guesstimate) as far as HP and Tq go?? about 400whp with the upgrades you noted,or 400whp with the turbo? Thats a lot of cash for tubro haha!
I didn't know you could get your DSG reflashed! dang that is so sweet!! That would be really nice to have, I def. will do that.

I'll have to research on the VWVortex forums how to do the flapper mod, FREE IS AWESOME!

I've already prepared my wallet for the gas prices and MPG, It's worth it though for sure!!

At the end of the day, what matters is driving a car that puts a smile on your face, not what car is faster, or has better numbers!

Thanks for all your help again, as with all you other guys input I think I'll enjoy driving an R more. Now to FIND ONE!!

Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 AM

PS....if you're gonna mod the R, get either the NeuSpeed or SuperSpring exhaust (if you can deal with the noise levels) and call it a day. The sound is pure sex and you will not find a car under 100k that sounds better.
I'll also look into that, I'll see if there are any youtube videos of it installed, cause I'd like to hear that!! If its too loud your too old!! I'm sure they are in the $1000-$3500 budget range that you said.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
i beat my buddies 08 R32 from a dig (tire hopped in first) he took off initially but i pulled him in and passed him in Third. From a roll he didnt stand a chance.

Other things to take into account. The G wasnt made for performance. It was made as an grocery getter. She is a fat biotch too. 200lbs or so more than the 350z which is still a bit heavy than i would like.

Its all your preferance man. Ill just look better driving the G

Old 03-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by djleopard
So spend about 5 grand initially for an intake, exhaust, and a tune. Where do you think that will set me(guesstimate) as far as HP and Tq go?? about 400whp with the upgrades you noted,or 400whp with the turbo? Thats a lot of cash for tubro haha!
I didn't know you could get your DSG reflashed! dang that is so sweet!! That would be really nice to have, I def. will do that.
Stock, they put down anywhere between 185-200whp, depending on the dyno. With I/E/ and a tune, you'll be between 200-220whp. The car stock is capable of low 14/high 13 second passes in the 1/4 with traps ranging between 98-100mph. With bolt ons, you might gain between 3-4mph. The DSG reflash will be the biggest contributor to a good 1/4 mile time, and you can get into the low 13s with a DSG flash and bolt ons. Don't do a header on it, it's a waste of money and you will see no gains. You do have to understand, it is not a one dimensional car, and definitely not a 1/4 mile car. I would take that 5 grand you want to spend on mods, and spend about 150 bucks on a good set of pads and spend another 300 bucks on a track day. You will have unbelievable fun on a road course. Have an instructor go with you, preferably one that has some seat time in an R, and have him show you how to really drive the car. There are a lot of VW, and even R32 specific track days all over the country. It is a lot better way to spend money than putting mods on the car.

I'll have to research on the VWVortex forums how to do the flapper mod, FREE IS AWESOME!
On the very rear section of the muffler, there is a vacuum operated valve. "Flapper mod" is done in a few simple steps.
Step 1. Turn your car on
Step 2. Disconnect the vacuum line
Step 3. Plug the line with a small screw so dirt and debris don't get in it
Step 4. Enjoy your amazing exhaust sound.

Originally Posted by Th3R3dStar323
i beat my buddies 08 R32 from a dig (tire hopped in first) he took off initially but i pulled him in and passed him in Third. From a roll he didnt stand a chance.

Other things to take into account. The G wasnt made for performance. It was made as an grocery getter. She is a fat biotch too. 200lbs or so more than the 350z which is still a bit heavy than i would like.

So like I said, R32 will be faster from a dig due to AWD and no driver error due to launch control, with the G35 getting ahead up top.

And really? I look good no matter what I'm driving :-) And I used to get a lot more compliments on my R32 than I ever did on my G35 or my G37. All I got in my Infinitis was a bunch of 17 year old kids trying to race me left and right.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 PM
who complemented you on your R32? I take it was other VW fans. Personally im not a fan, never have never will. Its all preference though. Again preference but no VW looks "good" or "sexy" to me.

After i beat my buddies R32, everyone shut the hell up at the meet we were at. Only cars that beat me was a 86 RX7 turbo and a 06 cobalt turbo.

Gave the butt sects to a 08 RX8 and a 98 transam.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Stock, they put down anywhere between 185-200whp, depending on the dyno. With I/E/ and a tune, you'll be between 200-220whp. The car stock is capable of low 14/high 13 second passes in the 1/4 with traps ranging between 98-100mph. With bolt ons, you might gain between 3-4mph. The DSG reflash will be the biggest contributor to a good 1/4 mile time, and you can get into the low 13s with a DSG flash and bolt ons. Don't do a header on it, it's a waste of money and you will see no gains. You do have to understand, it is not a one dimensional car, and definitely not a 1/4 mile car. I would take that 5 grand you want to spend on mods, and spend about 150 bucks on a good set of pads and spend another 300 bucks on a track day. You will have unbelievable fun on a road course. Have an instructor go with you, preferably one that has some seat time in an R, and have him show you how to really drive the car. There are a lot of VW, and even R32 specific track days all over the country. It is a lot better way to spend money than putting mods on the car.
So it says 250HP, but you're saying 200WHP? *Confused* Sounds like I'll have a good time at the track, I'll see if anyone there has been in an R before!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM

Like I said, at the end of the day, what matters is your car putting a smile on your face and having fun in it, not what has better numbers R32 = really fun to drive!!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 PM
So it says 250HP, but you're saying 200WHP? *Confused* Sounds like I'll have a good time at the track, I'll see if anyone there has been in an R before!
you lose 15% or so at the crank. thus your whp will be less than what the hp of the motor is. wheel hp is what you will actually be pushing to the ground.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM
who complemented you on your R32? I take it was other VW fans. Personally im not a fan, never have never will. Its all preference though. Again preference but no VW looks "good" or "sexy" to me.

After i beat my buddies R32, everyone shut the hell up at the meet we were at. Only cars that beat me was a 86 RX7 turbo and a 06 cobalt turbo.

Gave the butt sects to a 08 RX8 and a 98 transam.
Not necessarily VW fans...I've had a few Lamborghini owners complement me at the last C&C I went to with a buddy of mine. I've had guys from local Auto-X events come up to me and complement the car. But that's beside the point, I don't buy cars to stroke my ego. And impressive if you beat a 98 T/A. Those things dyno over 290 to the wheels...must have been a sick car or a bad driver, unless your G pops off low 13 second passes. And way to kick the puppy by beating on an RX8 lol

The engine is rated at 250hp, but due to drivetrain loss, they put down about 200 horsepower at the wheels. And you will have a blast at the track.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Not necessarily VW fans...I've had a few Lamborghini owners complement me at the last C&C I went to with a buddy of mine. I've had guys from local Auto-X events come up to me and complement the car. But that's beside the point, I don't buy cars to stroke my ego. And impressive if you beat a 98 T/A. Those things dyno over 290 to the wheels...must have been a sick car or a bad driver, unless your G pops off low 13 second passes. And way to kick the puppy by beating on an RX8 lol

yeah the transam guy didnt know how to drive, he should have beat me. I was expecting to lose and suprisingly i beat him lol i wanted to race him again and let his buddy drive but he didnt want anyone "touching " his car lol

and yes i had to give it to the RX8 owner. Dude just got it and was talking a bunch of mess. Had his girl backing him up and talking crap too it was hilarious. People even told him he was going to lose but he was stuborn.
I didnt buy my car to stoke my ego, maybe im just loyal to my G. Everything else to me just doesnt do it for me. I dont really knwo how to explain it lol Its even hard to me to get another car for a DD. I am always comparing it to my G.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM
I didnt buy my car to stoke my ego, maybe im just loyal to my G. Everything else to me just doesnt do it for me. I dont really knwo how to explain it lol Its even hard to me to get another car for a DD. I am always comparing it to my G.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah the transam guy didnt know how to drive, he should have beat me. I was expecting to lose and suprisingly i beat him lol i wanted to race him again and let his buddy drive but he didnt want anyone "touching " his car lol

and yes i had to give it to the RX8 owner. Dude just got it and was talking a bunch of mess. Had his girl backing him up and talking crap too it was hilarious. People even told him he was going to lose but he was stuborn.
So, you smoked the RX-8? Was it close? Not close? My buddy has one of those and he always brags about how fast it is and is 100% confident he could beat me in a race. We have never raced, because I really don't wanna go to jail....and I really don't wanna hurt his feelings either!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:48 PM
you lose 15% or so at the crank. thus your whp will be less than what the hp of the motor is. wheel hp is what you will actually be pushing to the ground.
Ohhh okay thank you!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM
This is a tough decision still

Old 03-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by jake227
So, you smoked the RX-8? Was it close? Not close? My buddy has one of those and he always brags about how fast it is and is 100% confident he could beat me in a race. We have never raced, because I really don't wanna go to jail....and I really don't wanna hurt his feelings either!
Unless he can really drive, and you really suck at driving, you should **** all over the RX8. And after you do, he will go on and brag about how he has a low center of gravity, and usable back seats, and how his car handles like it's on rails.

This is a tough decision still
Not really

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Pros & Cons