G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post G35 Pros & Cons

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums so go easy on me

I really want to buy an Infiniti g35, I'm having a hard time deciding which year is best, so far I've landed on the '06 as the most solid buy. Correct me if I'm wrong (6mt coupe) My dad isn't very fond of the Infinitis, and tends to like VW more (R32 and GTi to be specific) What are some pros of the G35 that I can list to him that will sway him to be more open to the idea of a G35? He said he saw on motortrend.com that the overall rating of the infiniti g35 was "average" and the vw gti to be "excellent" I need some good factual data on the Infiniti G35 (Links would work great) to help him be more okay with an Infiniti. Any help would be GREAT as far as safety, reliability, comparisons, maintenance cost etc.

Thank you so much!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:48 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
There are multiple links in the thread below that will provide some information. The rev-up engine (05+ 6MT) are know for the oil consumption problem, some have it and some don't.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...d-threads.html

Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Thank you for the fast reply! I will check that out right now! Now if you guys were in my situation, would you drive the R32, or the G35?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 AM
I will never drive a stubby hatchback. The look of the G35 was my main selling point.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 AM
I like the hatchback for the head room for friends in the car, its a nice thing to have but not always necessary Over all, I think the both cars are very nice! But I love the look of the G35, I like the engine they come with, and I love how easily modded they are, cause I like doing all my own work But it's gonna take more than me loving a car for my dad to be convinced!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by djleopard
and I love how easily modded they are...
It is expensive to get additional power out of these cars whether you stay N/A or go FI. I would not consider a G35 mod friendly. I don't know that much about VW but if you get a G35, try to get one that is still under warranty. If the car was maintained properly then you should not have any major issues with an 06. Definitely do the research on here before doing any mods.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 AM
I'll take that into consideration. It's hard to find a G35 for a good price, with the right package, and still under warranty!! haha, but my search will not end! And I'll definitely do that thank you for all your help! I guess I'll find out if I'm gonna be ridin' in a G35 or a R32 here pretty soon. Letcha know

Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Bump

Old 03-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm probably biased but except for outright speed, I'd probably take the new GTI over the G. R32 is one of the most underrated AWD cars out there IMO, and the rarity of them would make them an attractive purchase for me.

G35

Pros for me:

- Fairly quick for an overweight sporty-ish car.
- Lots of features you have to pay for on other cars.
- It's a nice overall car.

Cons:

- Gas mileage is ridiculously bad considering the performance.
- Interior (depending on the year) is pretty much a polished Nissan.
- Lots of creaks and groans over time. My car is an '05 with 33K on the odo and it creaks more than I would expect given how I've treated her.
- Absolutely pathetic response to bolt on mods. Dollar per added horsepower is ridiculous.
- It's become a kid's car. It's pretty much the new civic. They never should have put it in video games. LOL..
- No brand recognition compared to the rest of the entry level luxury cars out there. It doesn't really matter to me, but many folks don't think Infiniti doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Is your dad buying your car? Are you not old enough to make your own decision and spend your own money?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

I like the hatchback for the head room for friends in the car, its a nice thing to have but not always necessary Over all, I think the both cars are very nice! But I love the look of the G35, I like the engine they come with, and I love how easily modded they are, cause I like doing all my own work But it's gonna take more than me loving a car for my dad to be convinced!
You can bolt on mods all day. Don't expect them to result in much unless you're dumping serious dollars in, and even then your gains will be minimal.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the reply!! Some very solid Pros and Cons!
I'm putting down 10g, and my dad is putting down 10g, so it's kind of my decision as well as his! But I'll most likely be paying the other ten off in time towards him in the future. It sounds like the G35 costs a lot to mod with very little HP gain etc. is it the same for VW? Does it cost a lot for bolt ons for minimal results?
The G35 is definitely a CHICK MAGNETTT hahah thats a plus.
You would take the GTI over the G35 and the R32??

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Thanks for the reply!! Some very solid Pros and Cons!
I'm putting down 10g, and my dad is putting down 10g, so it's kind of my decision as well as his! But I'll most likely be paying the other ten off in time towards him in the future. It sounds like the G35 costs a lot to mod with very little HP gain etc. is it the same for VW? Does it cost a lot for bolt ons for minimal results?
The G35 is definitely a CHICK MAGNETTT hahah thats a plus.
You would take the GTI over the G35 and the R32??
Honestly, my order (today - it was a different market in 05) would be R32/GTI/G35. I live in an area that would greatly benefit from AWD/FWD, plus I love the Audi influence on the VW interiors.

VWs respond well to some mods, but they also have reliability issues that you probably won't have with the Japanese iron. That would be a good argument for your dad - the G will almost always be more reliable (and cheaper to maintain) out of warranty.

In my life I've seen more broken VWs than I have Nissans.

As for the chick magnet - I don't put a lot of value in a chick that likes me for my car. Never have. I drive what I like and let the cards fall where they may.

Having said all that, I'm an old bastard and haven't worried about chicks digging my car in ages. LOL.

My advice on the VW modding scene would be to check out their forums and do some reading. You'll either find the VW is more suited for your ultimate goal (which sounds like you want a nice car that you can mod and reap the rewards of those mods), or you'll find that the reliability issues will help you sway your dad toward the VW.

Go look inside an R32 man. If you haven't seen one/driven one, they're worth a good look. Ditto the GTI. GTI is one of the best handling cars (out of the box) out there - especially given it's FWD and not all that expensive.

It's on everyone's must have list - C&D, R&T, Automobile - it always gets great reviews. Not so much the G35/37..

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

And good on ya for splitting the cost with your dad. That's always a good thing.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah I think I agree with you on the order of cars! Not only is the AWD good in the snow it gives a different characteristic and feel to the car as well. I am 6'3 so the hatchback is definitely great for head room! And yeah thats what I've been hearing, (i'm a member of VWvortex) and they say VWs respond well to mods and can get you more HP easily depending on parts. I Don't like the reliability of VWs but, as with any car, you take good care of it and it will take good care of you!

HAHA good point on the chick magnet thing!! but hey, looks and double takes are always fun

I definitely want to mod and reap the rewards! Make the car unique, my own, have fun with it and just enjoy driving it being a youngin :P

I've sat in the GTI and I love them!! But not the R32, it's hard to find them that are near me. Are they similar to GTI?

I don't know what C&D, R&T is.

Thank you so much for your help! And I'm new to the forums so I don't know how to include orignal quotes in my posts like you did? =s

Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
What does motortrend know?

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/best-used-cars.html

Edmunds lists G35 as their best bet for used luxury cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Pros & Cons