The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Selling my G35 to Carmax.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Selling my G35 to Carmax.

Well I've been trying to sell my car now for a few months with no luck.. KBB states my car is worth a little over 12K(private party. retails is over 14K) right now with its miles and condition but I haven't even gotten an offer close to that at all.. All I've gotten is flakers and low ballers.. For some reason people have been obsessed with giving me 10K for the car.. I'm starting to give in and will take anything 10K and higher just to get rid of it.. Whats annoying me is that people who offer me the 10K come to look at it after I say yes and start to point out tiny flaws Its an 8 year old car!!! of course it will have imperfections here and there (tiny rock chips on hood, a little wear on left side of steering wheel, tiny scratch on center console.) then they offer me 9K or 9.5K.. What the heck? I see other G's with more miles going for more money than what I'm asking (12K).

So now I figure why should I sell my car to some chump whose lowballing me? I'd rather sell my car for 10K to a dealer that won't haggle me on small crap that uses the KBB system.. I don't know exactly what they use to apprasie your car and how much they'd give you but after researching on google I've read that they give exactly what KBB trade in gives.. Which is a tad over 10K for my car..

What do you guys think?

Here are my car's specs;

03 coupe. Auto. 95K miles. Normal wear for year and mileage. Brand new tires, newer brakes, new shocks/springs, lower control arm bushings replace, compression rods replace recently. Maintained properly.

I've owned the car since it had 21K miles on it.. Pretty much new. I've personally put the other 74K miles myself.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Also my leather seats, carpet and dash are all clean and in near perfect condition.. Leather has no stains, rips or tears.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont see 10k being a problem. around here, ive seen 03-04 coupes with 150k still going for 8-10k. ive been considering trading my car at the dealership too. just so many flakes and hagglers out there now. good luck!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by erklep
i dont see 10k being a problem. around here, ive seen 03-04 coupes with 150k still going for 8-10k. ive been considering trading my car at the dealership too. just so many flakes and hagglers out there now. good luck!
Thanks.. I paid around 80 bucks to have my car on auto trader.. Its came up in thousands of searches but only 2 people have requested my number... That sucks.

Craigslist people suck

Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by officerdbag
Thanks.. I paid around 80 bucks to have my car on auto trader.. Its came up in thousands of searches but only 2 people have requested my number... That sucks.

Craigslist people suck
craigslist is the worst with flakers. i try and do alot of my sales on craigslist to save on the fees but half the time its not even worth it because you spend so much time responding to people who never get back to you. at least with ebay, its rare someone doesnt pay ot requests to back out. but damn those fees are killer!

80 bucks isnt too bad to shell out if it gets you your asking price. what ive found is recently, you have to wait it out. you will get your asking price but it just seems to take longer for the right person to come by.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 PM
craigslist is the worst with flakers. i try and do alot of my sales on craigslist to save on the fees but half the time its not even worth it because you spend so much time responding to people who never get back to you. at least with ebay, its rare someone doesnt pay ot requests to back out. but damn those fees are killer!

80 bucks isnt too bad to shell out if it gets you your asking price. what ive found is recently, you have to wait it out. you will get your asking price but it just seems to take longer for the right person to come by.
So true.. However its been 3 months and I do not drive the car anymore.. This may sound crazy but the car is an eye sore just sitting there 24/7 for 3 months.. I take it out for a drive at least once a week and thats about it.. On top of that my mom won't shut up about getting the out of the way if I'm not going to keep it.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Carmax trade-in value is horrible! I'm sure they quote well under KBB.
Check your value with http://www.nada.com/

Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 PM
So true.. However its been 3 months and I do not drive the car anymore.. This may sound crazy but the car is an eye sore just sitting there 24/7 for 3 months.. I take it out for a drive at least once a week and thats about it.. On top of that my mom won't shut up about getting the out of the way if I'm not going to keep it.
believe me, i know! even if the thing was only a year old, you would feel the same way. i had one of my bikes listed for well under bluebook for about 4 months before someone actually came through with the cash. i realize it might be tough to get your hands on that kind of cash(10.5k i was asking) but i must have dealt with easily 50 people who pretended to be interested. and that entire time, even though it was a beautiful looking bike, i just wanted it gone. i was sick of looking at it.

stick it out, this is tax return season. im sure someone will come grab it within the next 2 months or so. if not, then i would consider the dealer.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Hold The Line

stick it out, this is tax return season. im sure someone will come grab it within the next 2 months or so. if not, then i would consider the dealer.
This! Sit on it awhile longer. Inflate the price little so potential buyers feel like they have some haggling room.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
I guess you guys are right.. It is tax return season.. I'll give it another month.

Nada is appraising my car for more than KBB.. good to know.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Hold The Line

I guess you guys are right.. It is tax return season.. I'll give it another month.

That is what most, if not all dealers go off of. Don't quote me on that though

Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 AM

nada is always a little more generous with their values. i actually think nada numbers are always closer to true value. for whatever reason, kbb shoots low

Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Remember too that coupe prices deflate in the winter and inflate in the summer. Consider holding it until June or July. You should get more for it then.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
modifiedcartrader.com I got asking price for my Rice Rocket.

Even got a few calls from out of State individuals that really wanted my car. But I decided to deal locally. Forget all the hassle of shipping and crap.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
lol carmax will prob offer like 7k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Selling my G35 to Carmax.