The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

2013 G Coupe w/ Mercedes engines, including AMG's 5.5L V-8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Regardless, it still doesn't make sense to replace the V6 with an MB engine when the VQ is demonstably better.
Right. Google VQ35DE oil consumption.

Not just the G35 with this issue.

The VQ is old news. Time for a more refined motor.

The VQ's are known for horrible gas mileage, pinging, knocking, bad rings, oil consumption and stupid plastic valve covers.

Stop being a "brand *****". Companies join forces all the time. This is a good sign. Who cares if it isn't a Nissan motor.

And wtf is "demonstably"...

Old 08-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
hopefully it doesnt get any further than that concept stage!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers

Not just the G35 with this issue.

The VQ's are known for horrible gas mileage, pinging, knocking, bad rings, oil consumption and stupid plastic valve covers.

Stop being a "brand *****". Companies join forces all the time. This is a good sign. Who cares if it isn't a Nissan motor.

Oil consumption is almost exclusively on the rev-up, as I stated. The VQ's mileage is right in line with every other comparable engine (size, HP). The rest of those issues are very infrequent. I know you think every VQ has all of them, but don't forget, you detest this vehicle and bash it whenever the opportunity presents itself. And feel free to provide us with something other than your skewed opinion that backs up your claims.

I know I misspelled it, but it's pretty clear what the word was.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/demonstrably

Last edited by BuckeyeInMI; 08-21-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Banned
Well, I'm glad Nissan is moving forward instead of listening to some guy on the internet talk about how good the VQ is. This isn't the first time either.
All the new hybrids from Nissan / Infiniti all are technology borrowed from Toyota.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
The big difference is Consumer Reports doesn't take any auto industry money, JD Power wouldn't exist without it.
Exactly. J.D. Power exists solely to make the auto industry look good. Have you noticed that every superlative has "in its class" tacked onto the end of it? Have you ever looked at the classes? "Amongst midsized cars, with two doors, a full sized spare, made in Tennessee on Wednesdays."

Regardless, it still doesn't make sense to replace the V6 with an MB engine when the VQ is demonstably better.
Which makes you wonder if MB can make a 6 cheaper than Nissan, and if they can WHY and HOW? I suspect you'd have your answer there.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:41 AM
N80
Google "mercedes benz v6 oil consumption". Plenty of reading there too. Not the same as the VQ, the point being, each brand has its own brand of problems.

Agreed. But the MB aint it. Nissan needs to do this, not MB, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread so far.

The VQ's are known for horrible gas mileage, pinging, knocking, bad rings, oil consumption
Not mine. 86k miles and none of that. Wonder how that can be?

Stop being a "brand *****".
What a joke. I'd take advice from any of the "brand *****" fanboys here than from a dedicated brand hating troll who spends all of his time whining about his car.

Its a typo for "demonstrably". Obviusly.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by N80
Which makes you wonder if MB can make a 6 cheaper than Nissan, and if they can WHY and HOW? I suspect you'd have your answer there.
I doubt the price difference could be all that much, certainly not enough to cover the cost of a switchover.

And why would Nissan take a step backwards to a 3.5L? The newest MB 3.5, and by newest I mean the 2012 3.5, finally has specs comparable to the VQ 3.5. At best, they're getting the same engine, which is still not equal to the 3.7, all while risking their reputation for reliability. They're going to try and sell a car with worse performance and worse reliability? How does that make sense?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:32 AM
N80
I also seem to remember Nissan's V6 rating as a top ten engine every year since it came out, at least since the late 1980's. Has the MB line of V6's earned that same reputation? I have no idea, but even so.....

And doesn't Nissan have an excellent 5.6 liter V8 anyway? Isn't that what's in the M56? I don't know anything about that engine either but I haven't heard terrible things about it. Maybe it is too heavy?

Anyway, it just makes me wonder if the Germans are getting better at outsourcing labor. Maybe the Germans can get the engine made in Bosnia or the Czech Republic for less than the Japanese can get theirs made in Japan or Thailand. Pure speculation but I'd rather have an engine with a bad reputation from the Pacific rim than an engine with a good reputation for the Ukraine or former Yugoslavia.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned
LOL, are you taking "Wards top 10 motor" as a reference to why you think Nissan should stick with the VQ?

Lets take a look at Wards Top 10 Interior for 2011.

Audi A8
BMW X3 xDrive35i
Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
Dodge Charger Rallye Plus
Ford Focus Titanium
Honda Odyssey Elite
Hyundai Elantra Limited
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
Kia Optima EX
Volvo S60

LOL, c'mon. Dodge Charger Rallye Plus interior? The Lexus IS350 interior is better than most of the car listed above.

----------------
Also realize the VQ is no longer in the Top 10. Maybe that's why to decided to move forward. lol They ran with the same motor for 10 years. It's time to move on.

I mean a 2001 motor is still seen in a 2011 Maxima. It's old news.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
i wont be driving that either. How many of is driving the G25?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:20 PM
**** it.. Infiniti needs something to compete with the ISF, M series, and AMG vehicles and we all know NOTHING will get the motor from a GTR. Nissan will not sabotage the GTR's exclusivity. Even if they were to throw in a GTR motor, the tranny, drivetrain, brakes and all other goodies would have to come with it and putting an infiniti badge on it would mean a $120K+ price tag.

Not only that but the true buyer whose shopping for this type of car wants a sporty V8. V6's are slowly turning into the new 4 bangers. Everything serious is starting to get a V8 now and they're all getting great MPG.

Infiniti needs to step up their game. Their G lineup is straight up garbage. Especially the ugly coupe.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:20 AM
LOL, are you taking "Wards top 10 motor" as a reference to why you think Nissan should stick with the VQ?

Audi A8
BMW X3 xDrive35i
Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
Ford Focus Titanium
Honda Odyssey Elite
Hyundai Elantra Limited
Kia Optima EX
Volvo S60

LOL, c'mon. Dodge Charger Rallye Plus interior? The Lexus IS350 interior is better than most of the car listed above.

----------------
Also realize the VQ is no longer in the Top 10. Maybe that's why to decided to move forward. lol They ran with the same motor for 10 years. It's time to move on.

So, because you disagree with 1 car from their INTERIOR list, that invalidates anything done by Wards? And they did move on from the VQ 3.5L in question 3 model years ago. Maybe you haven't heard, but they use a 3.7L now. (who cares what the Maxima has) BTW, the IS might have a nice interior, but maybe it didn't make the list because it's extremely cramped.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those concept cars are hideous. And on a side note a nissan car should have a nissan engine in it. IMO

Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Never going to happen...

Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by N80
I also seem to remember Nissan's V6 rating as a top ten engine every year since it came out, at least since the late 1980's. Has the MB line of V6's earned that same reputation? I have no idea, but even so.....

And doesn't Nissan have an excellent 5.6 liter V8 anyway? Isn't that what's in the M56? I don't know anything about that engine either but I haven't heard terrible things about it. Maybe it is too heavy?

Anyway, it just makes me wonder if the Germans are getting better at outsourcing labor. Maybe the Germans can get the engine made in Bosnia or the Czech Republic for less than the Japanese can get theirs made in Japan or Thailand. Pure speculation but I'd rather have an engine with a bad reputation from the Pacific rim than an engine with a good reputation for the Ukraine or former Yugoslavia.
i believe it ended after 13-14 years.

Audi A8
BMW X3 xDrive35i
Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
Ford Focus Titanium
Honda Odyssey Elite
Hyundai Elantra Limited
Kia Optima EX
Volvo S60

----------------

Do you know why Nissan's VQ didnt make it? Ward changed their guidelines for the 1st time to include MPG.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 G Coupe w/ Mercedes engines, including AMG's 5.5L V-8?