The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

2013 G Coupe w/ Mercedes engines, including AMG's 5.5L V-8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 G Coupe w/ Mercedes engines, including AMG's 5.5L V-8?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...finiti-g-coupe

Old 08-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
We'll see, that's all theoretical right now, like the ugly prototype they show. I just can't see Infiniti intentionally choosing to go from a very reliable V6 to an engine lineup with a history of problems. Mercedes engines may perform well, but they aren't known for being reliable. And please, no comments about the VQ's problems. It was only the Rev-Up that had anything major, every other version has an excellent history. Go ahead with the 5.5L, or even the 6.2L, but leave the 3.5 alone.

BTW, why would they go with a 3.5 V6 that produces about the same power as the 3.5 they already have? And alot less than the 3.7 they already have?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
We'll see, that's all theoretical right now, like the ugly prototype they show. I just can't see Infiniti intentionally choosing to go from a very reliable V6 to an engine lineup with a history of problems. Mercedes engines may perform well, but they aren't known for being reliable. And please, no comments about the VQ's problems. It was only the Rev-Up that had anything major, every other version has an excellent history. Go ahead with the 5.5L, or even the 6.2L, but leave the 3.5 alone.

BTW, why would they go with a 3.5 V6 that produces about the same power as the 3.5 they already have? And alot less than the 3.7 they already have?
I'm pretty sure the best things about mercedes are the motors and strength of their bodies.

Not sure how I feel about a Merc motor in a Nissan.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI

Please post some published facts, articles, etc. (links will do) about any recent problems with AMG engines. AMG engines are built by hand something that can't be said about anything Nissan builds. AMG is a seperate division of MB.

The MB V8 would only be in the IPL as I understand it. The standard G37's will retain the Nissan V6 engines. The car will be priced in the $70,000. The engine in the new C63 coupe which is basically the same size as the G37 has the 6.2l with 451hp...443-lb-ft of torque with the optional performance package it produces 480hp. It is base priced at $63,000.

Looks like the first photo is where the artists rendering of the G37 took it's styling cues.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 G Coupe w/ Mercedes engines, including AMG's 5.5L V-8?-etherea.jpg   2013 G Coupe w/ Mercedes engines, including AMG's 5.5L V-8?-2013_infiniti_g.jpg  

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 08-20-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
Please post some published facts, articles, etc. (links will do) about any recent problems with AMG engines. AMG engines are built by hand something that can't be said about anything Nissan builds. AMG is a seperate division of MB.

The MB V8 would only be in the IPL as I understand it. The standard G37's will retain the Nissan V6 engines. The car will be priced in the $70,000. The engine in the new C63 coupe which is basically the same size as the G37 has the 6.2l with 451hp...443-lb-ft of torque with the optional performance package it produces 480hp. It is base priced at $63,000.

Looks like the first photo is where the artists rendering of the G37 took it's styling cues.
As I said, I wasn't talking about the AMG engines, just the 3.5. I'll admit I was a little harsh on the MB V6, but the VQ is still a much better engine. I was influenced by the fact that overall, like the other 2 German makers, MB is not a very reliable car, and nowhere near Infiniti or the other Japanese makers. The attached are from Consumer Reports.

There's not much unbiased info out there for the AMG's reliability, but being handmade doesn't automatically make them reliable. They're great engines, don't get me wrong, but that's not the same thing.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 G Coupe w/ Mercedes engines, including AMG's 5.5L V-8?-vq-v6.jpg   2013 G Coupe w/ Mercedes engines, including AMG's 5.5L V-8?-mb-v6.jpg  
Old 08-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Sorry but, I have as much faith in Consumer Reports car reliability reviews obtained by owner surveys. (great reviews on toasters and vacuum cleaners though) as you have in JD Powers. Since I own an MB I spend alot of time on the Mercedes forums and I'm not seeing alot of problem threads.

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 08-20-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Why Mercedes motors when they can throw in the VR38DETT from the GT-R...that motor is stout!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
This sucks. I was hoping Infiniti would keep using an Altima motor in their Luxury Performance vehicle.

Who care who makes the motor. As long as they get the dip stick right, it's all that matters.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by silver g
Why Mercedes motors when they can throw in the VR38DETT from the GT-R...that motor is stout!
Might as well make an Infiniti version gt-r too huh?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
this is pretty retarded..

turbo charged titan v8 would be awesome

Old 08-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You won't see me driving that fugly ride, rather move over to BMW or next gen Vette....
Gary

Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG engines are built by hand something that can't be said about anything Nissan builds.
I've read, but can't confirm, that the GT-R engine is made by hand. By one man, Hattori Hanzo.

But I agree with OP. And I don't care how reliable an MB engine is, or an AMG for that matter. If I want an MB (which I don't and never will), I'll buy one.

What bugs me is not really who is building the engine but why. Why does Nissan need MB to make an engine for its luxury performance line. It makes no sense to me, although I'm sure there is some kind of convoluted, one-world-village, global economic voodoo at play.

It is time for Nissan to make a better V6 (maybe a little more displacement, happier at higher revs, etc) and if they can't do it then why should I trust them to build the rest of the car right.

And if they do put MB engines in the Infiniti line, particularly the IPL, then my next car might as well be all German and it will be a Cayman S.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 PM
N80
And as for the picture in that link, I agree, if Infiniti makes something THAT ugly, I won't be in the market for one. One of the best, if not THE best thing about the G line is its looks. The G37 already lost a little of the classic, classy elegance of the G35. The car in that picture looks like a badguy character from Samuri Jack.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:23 PM
N80
And that article says that coupe will cost around $70,000!!!!!!! Pure insanity. Put the engine from the stinkin' GT-R in the dang thing and be done with it. The GT-R costs about $90k. Leave off the nitrogen filled tires, the Play Station dash and there you go, $70k G coupe with something to brag about.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry but, I have as much faith in Consumer Reports car reliability reviews obtained by owner surveys. (great reviews on toasters and vacuum cleaners though) as you have in JD Powers. Since I own an MB I spend alot of time on the Mercedes forums and I'm not seeing alot of problem threads.
The big difference is Consumer Reports doesn't take any auto industry money, JD Power wouldn't exist without it. And JD only does initial and short term reliability, nothing long term. Anyone can make a car that's reliable for a year.

And no offense, but your forum is a tiny niche of owners just like this one, hardly a valid cross-section of owners. In fact, I'd say it's considerably worse than this one because of the MB owner demographic. They don't tend to be the online, forum-participating crowd.

Regardless, it still doesn't make sense to replace the V6 with an MB engine when the VQ is demonstably better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 G Coupe w/ Mercedes engines, including AMG's 5.5L V-8?