G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

The G Is Showing Her Age - Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I won't ever buy a brand new car again for a lot of reasons. If you shop around for a used, but CPO, car you should be good. Find one that has service records available and as low miles as possible. Cars these days are being built extremely well and if taken care of early will usually last a long time, look at your G for example. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to buy a new car, drive it off the lot, and have it depreciate 20% on the spot. You could find a nice G in your area with less than 35K for under $30K.

I found these as examples:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

+++10000

This ! I've worked at a dealership one summer and just watching people loose some 20% of their cars value the moment the damn thing was registered was a joke. If you're a car guy (and you are if your reading this thread) then you can figure out what to look for when looking for a used car.

Personally, OP , go 6mt and do some preventative maintenance. Its not much effort to inspect your suspension, change tranny oil, diff oil, etc. I just turned 100K and I would be willing to bet that my car is in better shape and general upkeep than most of the G's out there with less than 50K miles. So start wrenching

Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would definitely go for a 370z and change it up... If not, go for a G35 coupe... You can get another G with around 30k miles for less than $30,000 ...

Old 09-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I won't ever buy a brand new car again for a lot of reasons. If you shop around for a used, but CPO, car you should be good. Find one that has service records available and as low miles as possible. Cars these days are being built extremely well and if taken care of early will usually last a long time, look at your G for example. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to buy a new car, drive it off the lot, and have it depreciate 20% on the spot. You could find a nice G in your area with less than 35K for under $30K.

I found these as examples:

This definitely seems the way to go - and it seems to be the way I will go. Rebuild the car a bit - and for around 2700-3000 I can have something that's worth 5k on a trade-in. Then drive her around while I look for a good deal on a CPO.

Out of those 3 - I do not think any of them are certified.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Metalp3n
The reason I am not considering another Infiniti is because a new one is a bit out of the price range at the moment, and I really would rather not get a CPO one. I have gotten 10 years out of this car - and I would like to get another 10 out of a new one (if I go that route). CPO warranty's are on the first date of service, so a 2008 would only have 3 years of warranty left. A brand new one has 3 years of bumper-to-bumper; and 5 years of drivetrain warranty.

On a CPO I have no idea what the previous owner did. Who knows if they ever changed the fluids. Infiniti never once suggested during any maintenance visit (and the first 100k miles I did everything at the dealer) that I should have my transmission fluid changed; so who knows if they changed it this time around. It just leaves a-lot to question.
You can get a CPO with the Elite Plan and get 8 years / 120K miles of bumper to bumper (from the service date). http://www.infinitiusa.com/content/d...CPO.CPO_Offers

Don't buy new. That never makes sense financially. Get a CPO. Infiniti has an excellent plan, and does a pretty thorough job of qualifying a car for CPO status. They don't just take anything for that program. I went to my dealer, told them what I wanted (05 DG AWD Sedan with Premium), how much I would pay for it, and they went and bought one at an Infiniti-only auction, where Infiniti guarantees the cars will qualify as a CPO. They made money on it, but were able to get it for less because they knew they had a sale and didn't have to keep it on their lot. I ended up paying about $500 less than low blue book for it. I still have a full year left on the bumper-to-bumper. Whenever I go to buy another used car, I'm going to go that same route and get exactly what I want.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Row2k
+++10000

This ! I've worked at a dealership one summer and just watching people loose some 20% of their cars value the moment the damn thing was registered was a joke. If you're a car guy (and you are if your reading this thread) then you can figure out what to look for when looking for a used car.

Personally, OP , go 6mt and do some preventative maintenance. Its not much effort to inspect your suspension, change tranny oil, diff oil, etc. I just turned 100K and I would be willing to bet that my car is in better shape and general upkeep than most of the G's out there with less than 50K miles. So start wrenching
The 20% loss only impacts if you have an accident or have to sell the car within 5 years or so. The longer you own it, the less impact it has.

Most everything you buy loses value. Try buying a TV at Target and then Craiglisting it as brand new. Hell, some items have a restocking fee of 15%.

This argument is very tired and can be minimized by a smart shopper.

If payments are an issue, go pre-owned off-lease, or lease something new.

CPO? Now there's a joke if I ever heard one. Why do you all care about service records when you have such a worthless opinion of dealerships? I've had too many issues with dealers to trust what a piece of paper says they did.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fix it up and just keep on driving. Japanese cars like ours usually tend to be pretty reliable and bullet-proof if you do your maintenance like the fluids.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
The 20% loss only impacts if you have an accident or have to sell the car within 5 years or so. The longer you own it, the less impact it has.

Most everything you buy loses value. Try buying a TV at Target and then Craiglisting it as brand new. Hell, some items have a restocking fee of 15%.

This argument is very tired and can be minimized by a smart shopper.

If payments are an issue, go pre-owned off-lease, or lease something new.

CPO? Now there's a joke if I ever heard one. Why do you all care about service records when you have such a worthless opinion of dealerships? I've had too many issues with dealers to trust what a piece of paper says they did.
I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about, pretty much across the board. A re-stock fee is nothing like the depreciation hit that a new car takes. Most items can be returned without a re-stock fee, including a TV at Target (I know, I returned one to them at no cost). A new car's immediate loss in value is real, and is never recovered. Just because you own it for a long time only spreads that loss out over more years but it doesn't lower the actual loss.

And while a TV does lose value, we're talking at least one order of magnitude in difference. A $2500 TV might lose 50% of it's value within a year or two, but that's just $1250. A $25,000 car will lose 20-25% in the first year, and upwards of 50% in 3 years. That's at least $5,000 in year 1, and $12,500 by year 3. In case you didn't notice, I compared an average priced car to a very expensive TV. A $1000 TV and a $50,000 car have much greater differences ($500 vs. $25,000). You can shop as smart as you want, but you will take a depreciation hit the minute you drive off the lot. You may think it's a tired argument, but whether it is or not doesn't change the fact that you do lose money.

And a CPO is backed by the manufacturer, not a dealer. They're the cream of the crop of pre-owned, off lease cars. You should also think about doing some research on leasing costs. Financially, it's easily the worst way to pay for the use of a car. Yes, your payments are lower, but you end up with nothing after the lease is over. All of the expenses and risks of car ownership and virtually none of the benefits. Even buying a new car is better financially than leasing.

The following users liked this post:
Metalp3n (09-22-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
You should also think about doing some research on leasing costs. Financially, it's easily the worst way to pay for the use of a car. Yes, your payments are lower, but you end up with nothing after the lease is over. All of the expenses and risks of car ownership and virtually none of the benefits. Even buying a new car is better financially than leasing.
Amen!

A quick update on the car though - replaced the rear main seal, keeping an eye on the valve cover to see if I notice any oil leaking. Tranny rebuild was done however they did not properly balance the torque convertor so there was a slight vibration at idle. It's waiting for a brand new torque convertor now and that should be in by this weekend.

She felt amazing with her new tranny. I forgot how smooth it used to shift.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metalp3n
Amen!

A quick update on the car though - replaced the rear main seal, keeping an eye on the valve cover to see if I notice any oil leaking. Tranny rebuild was done however they did not properly balance the torque convertor so there was a slight vibration at idle. It's waiting for a brand new torque convertor now and that should be in by this weekend.

She felt amazing with her new tranny. I forgot how smooth it used to shift.
Have them install the Transgo Shift Kit and you just might want to keep the car. I did it to my sedan and am shocked what a huge difference it makes under WOT. Should have done it years ago.