The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 for a High School 17 year old?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey man if you honestly feel your son has earned the right to drive a G35 then you should by all means let him drive it. I'm 17 and my parents gave me their G35 to drive as my first car when I got my license at 16 and so far I have not gotten into any accidents or tickets. For me personally, I love my car and I take great care of it usually washing it once or twice a month, waxing and polishing it with the best stuff.

As a parent you should know by now how your son drives. Just make sure you have a serious talk with him regarding the usual things to avoid doing such as racing and other things such as messing with the radio or whatever.

Just show him how to respect the car and what it can do. Teach him the basic maintenence things such as changing the engine oil and brake pads and how to replace a flat tire to really gauge his seriousness about the car.

Modding gets expensive quick so resist the urge to dump money into the bottomless mod pit that most of us are addicted to.
PS: As a teen, every young driver will at some point find the urge to find the true potential of the car in terms of acceleration, braking, and cornering. I personally explored those areas thoroughly but I was smart about where I did it. Just take him out and let him try it a few times and he should be fine.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by william747400
PS: As a teen, every young driver will at some point find the urge to find the true potential of the car in terms of acceleration, braking, and cornering. I personally explored those areas thoroughly but I was smart about where I did it. Just take him out and let him try it a few times and he should be fine.
truth ^^^

might sound crazy but if you have a track near you, it might be good to let him take it out to it. I know this helped a lot of my friends when I was that age. My parents never wanted me doing that stuff so I had to find creative ways of taking part of track events when I was under 18. If you show interest in it and do it with him, it could keep him from street racing and being stupid on the road.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:56 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Scca.org
Drive like a complete idiot.... In a controlled environment

The following users liked this post:
thescreensavers (12-19-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
go for it..

i'm only 16 and i got a G35 6mt. I put alotta time and money into my car so I'm really careful with it. Does get annoying when kids in highschool wanna race, but i just do my best to ignore them. So if you trust your son, I say go for it.

I've gotten one speeding ticket btw (80 in a 70) really not a big deal.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
wow... alot of lucky teenagers in this forum/thread..!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
If you do get it for him, go automatic, make sure the VDC stays on at all times (crazy glue it if you have to) and make sure you and he both put the effort in to maintaining the car. If he works I say make him pay for a portion of the car himself that way its HIS MONEY going into it and therefore his INVESTMENT too. But the real question is "Has he earned a G35?" Is he an honor student, a good kid, responsible... all that stuff. A car that nice is a reward!!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^^ Very true statement. Make him pay for Insurance is probably the way to go because if he crashes, his insurance goes up sky high for the next 6 month. My friend's (16 years old) when he had his first accident in his parents' Mercedes E320 his insurance went up from about $1000 every 6 month to over $3000 now.
If he knows that his insurance will go up with an accident or ticket, and he has to always have the deductable amount in cash, he will probably be more careful of doing certain things. It will certainly make him think twice before doing it.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ima turn 17 in about 3 months but i got my g35 as an early bday present and i gotta say ima be helping around the house much more often lol......the deal was i keep my grades high and i keep the car sooo far everythings been good only had it for about 2 months and im already in love with it definately takes commitment and resposibility tho not going out and doing stupid things

Old 11-11-2011, 01:45 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I'v been driving G35s since I was 15 years old. Hell, i got my licence behind the wheel of a G35... the car is so natural to me now (after having 4 of them in the family between my dad and I) that the car is second nature to drive. I know them like the back of my hand.

When i turned 16 I was originally going to get my dads first 04 G35X, but the plans kinda fell through so i started driving a Chevy Trailblazer. Got my first accident out of the way with that car then about 2 months before I turned 17, I got my first 05 G35 sedan. That car didnt get wrecked once and was babied by me. Sure, i had my spirited driving moments, but who doesnt??

Really depends on the kid TBH. I'v had 2 G35s now, and I am 20.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a 2005 g35x and I'm 16. This is my second car (my first was a 2004 330i). I'm a responsible driver and drive defensively at all times. I trust myself completely with my car and my parents trust me with their '08 X as well. People think my parents bought the car for me but that's not the case at all. Some people are jealous even though the car isn't that nice but I try to ignore them. If your son is very responsible I would let him get one but many people my age would race it around town and total it within a week.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worked my *** off and paid for half my car when I was 17. It's true, if you pay for half the car (in Canada, an 06 g35 coupe AT was 26k-29k + tax) you treat it a lot better. So after about a year and a half of part time job and spending everything I earned for my own car, it feels pretty good.

First car was an old eclipse that my baller friend handed down to me for free (he had this car when he was 15, driving around with an L but never got pulled over), I treated that like crap because first of all, it IS crap and second of all, it was free and had 2-3k value on it with 180k km with some scrapes here and there.

Glad that I got my way of driving mostly straightened out in that POS before I bought a g35 coupe. After about 3.5 years of owning this car, I have had only two tickets. First one was ripping it down an empty road at night maybe 2 months after having the car (wanted to see how it felt like in this car compared to the POS). Second one was a no "license plate" ticket, which I told the cop it fell off and they just told me to put it back on and bring it to them.

I do have my regrets of having a RWD coupe though. The weather in Canada BC is horrible, black ice everywhere, snow that comes down at random times (seriously, during April!?) and worse than average gas mileage. I was all in for the looks of the g35 coupe, I had a bit extra that I could have spent on buying a g37 coupe instead, but that car looked way too feminine for me.

What could have been a better choice for me, would have been an Lancer EVO or a Subaru STI. Obviously, they don't look as sexy but they do handle a lot better in weather like this. Sometimes I have to move large objects as well, and this car is not up for that and makes me wish I had a 4-door.

Got my car at the last term of high school, there were like only maybe 15-20 kids with cars that time. The more mods I put on my car, the less careful I drove. Especially with an exhaust, you always want to hear the beast growl. And with an intake, you always want to get to 3k+ RPM to hear that high pitch intake noise. But then, putting on a body kit, lowering the car and changing the wheels makes me 10x more careful. (Dont want to scratch any of that!)

Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I got a 06 g35 coupe supercharged 6mt when i was 16.. im 17 now.. still not a scratch on it.. trust him and get it!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Don't let him drive in the rain if he has a 6 speed RWD Gwhip..

Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he is responsible then why not! Its a great car

Old 12-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO, 17 is too young but if you say he is a good driver then buy the car for him.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 for a High School 17 year old?