G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Questions about manual vs. automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhambor
...........in a perfect world.
How often do you see a thread pop up about someone's auto tranny going out (that isn't FI), versus all the threads you normally see about someone's clutch or synchros going out?

The OP is asking which trans has less problems. Putting personal opinions of which is more fun aside, it's far more likely you'll have to replace MT componets more often than AT components.

I drive a supercharged 5AT myself and have never had any problems or had to replace anything in my transmission. OP, if you want to drive a 6MT, then go for it, MT cars are fun to drive. Regardless of how hard it is to learn to drive a MT G, all it takes is practice. I believe every man should know how to drive stick shift. I enjoy driving one myself every now and then, but eventually get tired of it, especially with all the traffic we have here in SoCal. Just a personal preference.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
I'll take hills any time compared to the traffic we had after the '94 Northridge quake driving inch at a time for hours....nightmare!
Gary
I don't mind traffic at all, even for hours. Heavy traffic on steep hills for even a couple minutes is way more of a pain than hours on flat ground. Especially with a 6-puck. Every time I go from a dead stop, the entire car shakes from the 6-puck grabbing violently.

But still, no complaints here. The amount of fun I have with the manual trans more than makes up for the traffic.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by STAP IT
But still, no complaints here. The amount of fun I have with the manual trans more than makes up for the traffic.
+1. After about 2 weeks of driving a stick, it becomes second nature....you won't even have to think about it. I can't recall a time I ever thought to myself..."damn, I wish I had an automatic!"

Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 PM
^ well said.

I'd find myself saying "damn I wish I had a manual" way WAY WAY WAY WAY more than I'd find myself saying "damn, I wish I had an automatic"

And how hard is it to just coast in 1st with some extra room in front of you?

The following users liked this post:
6klub (10-31-2020)
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
The new RJM clutch pedal will save your left leg in traffic. You have no option but to buy the pedal when you have 6MT G,Z

Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ well said.

I'd find myself saying "damn I wish I had a manual" way WAY WAY WAY WAY more than I'd find myself saying "damn, I wish I had an automatic"

This is kind of what I am thinking. This is one of those cars that has a significant difference to get the stick shift. If I were looking into a honda civic I probably wouldn't care as much, but as this is a sportscar....I appreciate the feedback, especially that in relation to the actual maintenance issues. It appears as though there isn't a significant difference between the two, and might actually favor the 6MT for upkeep. As far as traffic which everyone is mentioning, I live/work near Phoenix, and while that is a small concern it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Can you guys describe what you mean by the g35 being hard to drive?

Coming from my evo, and driving my friends G35, I can drive that thing while asleep. What's the issue for you guys?

The only thing (if anything) that I noticed on the G35 was the high engagement. (wasn't even that high to be honest)

Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sundevil88
This is kind of what I am thinking. This is one of those cars that has a significant difference to get the stick shift. If I were looking into a honda civic I probably wouldn't care as much, but as this is a sportscar....I appreciate the feedback, especially that in relation to the actual maintenance issues. It appears as though there isn't a significant difference between the two, and might actually favor the 6MT for upkeep. As far as traffic which everyone is mentioning, I live/work near Phoenix, and while that is a small concern it wouldn't be a deal breaker.
First of all let me say that you probably should get a manual. But, your statement about upkeep is wrong. In addition to having to replace the clutch plate, pressure plate and throwout bearing. You will also at some point need to replace the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder. Periodic replacement of the clutch fluid and bleeding the clutch line is also required. With the auto you only need to have the transmission fluid drained and a refill at 30,000mile intervals if your OCD or longer if your not. Now go find a MT so you can be Macho but, be careful with your selection when replacing your clutch...experiencing shaking every time you release the clutch just doesn.t seem worth it when it does very little as far as performance goes.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Can you guys describe what you mean by the g35 being hard to drive?

Coming from my evo, and driving my friends G35, I can drive that thing while asleep. What's the issue for you guys?

The only thing (if anything) that I noticed on the G35 was the high engagement. (wasn't even that high to be honest)
I'm not sure why everyone complains so much about the clutch in these cars. It's just a little heaver feeling than say a vw clutch. I drive my friends 08 6mt and that clutch is completely different than mine. It's light and is very springy which I don't like but I would get used to it if I drove it everyday...

Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
For me, I hated feeling so disconnected from the clutch. With the spring that's on the stock clutch pedal you really don't get a good feeling for where the friction point is. After installing the RJM clutch pedal bracket, I find the car so much easier and more fun to drive.

I'll also note that my 05 6MT has 85k mi on the stock clutch, and it's still grabby as hell. Yeah, I need to have the clutch line bled, and fluid replaced soon, but that's like an extra 10 minutes when I get my next oil change.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Songle6MT
I'm not sure why everyone complains so much about the clutch in these cars. It's just a little heaver feeling than say a vw clutch. I drive my friends 08 6mt and that clutch is completely different than mine. It's light and is very springy which I don't like but I would get used to it if I drove it everyday...
If people's complaint is that the clutch pedal is heavy, maybe they're a little too old to be driving a car at all...

Old 02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
My '08 6MT Sedan's clutch is on the heavy side (coming from Honda)

And the engagement is narrow and high, and i have a bad left knee and complains all the times ... but I would still opt for 6MT or nothing.

If my knee can't take it any more, then I would have to switch back to cars with lighter clutches ... no clutch pedal will be my last last last resort ...

Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
how is a MT more fun than driving in manumatic mode?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
You get to push in an extra pedal.

The following users liked this post:
bigc (02-17-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
You get to push in an extra pedal.
that's kind of awesome. How much does it cost to upgrade the AT to MT?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions about manual vs. automatic transmission