The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:06 AM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
how long did it take you to take the dash apart? I need to this as well...

Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Edgarc6789
how long did it take you to take the dash apart? I need to this as well...
from the salvage car I pulled the dash in a few hours, but I wasn't worried about breaking any of the trim pieces in the process. I plan on taking my time installing it in my car. use the FSM. wouldn't be possible without it

Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,026 Likes on 943 Posts
Consider getting your front window tinted with that 100%/70% stuff to protect your new dash and keep the temps was down in the cabin. One of the best things I ever did for the G, proper ceramic tinting.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Consider getting your front window tinted with that 100%/70% stuff to protect your new dash and keep the temps was down in the cabin. One of the best things I ever did for the G, proper ceramic tinting.
3M makes a crystal ceramic, it blocks UV rays and radiant heat, but is practically clear. Something like 97%. All the benefits of tint without compromising night time visibility.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
3M makes a crystal ceramic, it blocks UV rays and radiant heat, but is practically clear. Something like 97%. All the benefits of tint without compromising night time visibility.
Great idea. Might as well pay a little to protect all the hours I've put into this project so far. I'll check out my local shop where I had my windows tinted. Just ordered a sunshade by Covercraft a few days ago. Hoping it fits well

The following users liked this post:
Fastmodz (08-04-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
any idea how much that ran you?

Old 08-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NjMatteSedan
installed High output alternator, big 3 wire upgrade, new alternator belt and belt tensioner
This reply is useless without pics. Like a girl telling you she just got implants wearing a big heavy coat and doesn't show you the work. Whenever time allows I'm gonna finish piecing together my audio build. I'm starting on a CLD, CCF, MLV with butyl strips in cracks and crevices. What brand/amps did you go with. Did you keep the factory B+ hooked up? What about alt to starter connection. I don't have a crimper so I was debating ferrule sleeves in set screw connections

Old 08-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Great idea. Might as well pay a little to protect all the hours I've put into this project so far. I'll check out my local shop where I had my windows tinted. Just ordered a sunshade by Covercraft a few days ago. Hoping it fits well
Lots of good brands and % out there. Some shops might not keep the pricy stuff on hand like the 80-90% windshield stuff. So talk to them, you want something that doesn't look visually tinted from the exterior windshield but does it's job with heat reflection. I've seen some great night shots that reduced glare. I don't care about anyone saying projectors are perfect, they are perfect on a perfectly paved flat road. I've been blinded many times by projector glare on these expensive new model cars so a windshield tint with glare and reducing properties in my future.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

$100 for the front window alone, or $80 with a 5 window tint (had them all done at the same time).

Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of cars are not even properly aimed from the factory - oh bother.

I'm guessing you don't live in an inspection state/county?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 PM
well tinting the whole windshield is definitely illegal in florida. So I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. If I were to get anything above 80% what are the chances a cop will even notice? Plus does it effect the visibility at any time of day or night? (glare, grainy or orange peel look to it) I'd hate to get a ticket for it and having it removed sounds like a PITA

Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Ever heard of clear ceramic tint? Pretty. Neat stuff. Only like a 3% reduction in light passage.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Today was the first time I've heard of it. Been trying to find out more. The main benefit is obviously protecting the interior and keeping the temperatures down and possibly take some abuse off the A/C. Here's what I don't like what I've found out.. maybe you can sway my opinion
1. Technically it's still illegal in fl (insurance won't cover a traffic accident because of it)
2. The water during installation would probably leak down the dash possibly frying something underneath
3. Rainbow city with polarized sunglasses I'm sure (which most cops wear)

I'll stop by the shop that I've had all my previous work done. Awesome job with all my windows. I did have my passenger window peel because of the window rolling down and up to seal the gap when the doors open and close. That was replaced under warranty. I believe they offer 3m so I wouldn't mind paying a little extra. Thanks for the idea! Never heard of this ceramic film

Old 08-04-2017, 03:16 AM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I have 35% on my front windows to my truck and car
Keeps the heat out and it's only a tiny bit darker to see at night. It is illegal. Even having tint on your front windows is illegal here in Cali.

In the truck scene there guys with 5% on the front that's just too much you can bearly see anything

Old 08-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Today was the first time I've heard of it. Been trying to find out more. The main benefit is obviously protecting the interior and keeping the temperatures down and possibly take some abuse off the A/C. Here's what I don't like what I've found out.. maybe you can sway my opinion
1. Technically it's still illegal in fl (insurance won't cover a traffic accident because of it)
2. The water during installation would probably leak down the dash possibly frying something underneath
3. Rainbow city with polarized sunglasses I'm sure (which most cops wear)

I'll stop by the shop that I've had all my previous work done. Awesome job with all my windows. I did have my passenger window peel because of the window rolling down and up to seal the gap when the doors open and close. That was replaced under warranty. I believe they offer 3m so I wouldn't mind paying a little extra. Thanks for the idea! Never heard of this ceramic film
ceramic film is very common for all tint. I'm referring to specifically 3M Crystalline Series tint. They have a very light, almost clear, shade that's barely noticeable.

I drove my brother-in-law's car with a tinted windshield and couldn't stand it at night. It was ok in town, but as soon as I got out where there are zero street lights it was pretty sketchy.

So far I just slap up a sun shade in the summer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?