The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Drove my Q70 for a Tesla Test Drive today

Test Drive A Tesla This Week At Bell Works

Stop by Bell Works this Thursday, May 16 through Saturday, May 18​ between 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. for Tesla's on-site drive event.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/holmdel...ign=newsletter

HOLMDEL, NJ — Ever wanted to take a Tesla for a spin? You can this Thursday through Saturday at Bell Works in Holmdel.

Stop by Bell Works this Thursday, May 16 through Saturday, May 18 between 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at Tesla's onsite Test Drive Event for the opportunity to drive a Model S, Model 3 or Model X.

This is part of an on-site promotion hosted by Tesla. As interest in — and rental occupancy — at Bells Works grows, the office complex has hosted several buzzy events recently, such as when Anthony Scaramucci spoke there last summer.

What an amazing vehicle. I test drove both the Model 3 and the Model S today
The acceleration is incredible and is similar to the feeling one experiences when setting in a jet passenger plane as it begins to accelerate down the runway at take off and your back presses into the seat back.
Over 500 hp to the wheels and reached 83 MPH in a few seconds in a parking lot before lifting my foot off the pedal and the vehicle immediately uses regenerative braking to slow down. Brake pads typically last 100k miles. Also tested the auto pilot feature as the vehicle goes around curves with no hands on the steering wheel.and automatically slows when a vehicle in front slows for a turn and then speeds up again automatically.
An absolute incredible experience.

Telcoman

Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
04 6mt Coupe - motordyne 5/16 ART pipes TDX2; KWv2; Hotchkiss; custom seats.
Originally Posted by MikeG35Coupe
The OEM implementations I've seen are of the ventilated type, where there is ducting and a fan that draws air through the perforated seating surfaces.
A couple of companies make universal kits for heat/cooling for a fair bit of $$.
But really I think this is just going to take a bit of bravery (cutting a hole for air ducts in the molded seat foam), a little electrical and plumbing wizardry, some fans and new switches to make this work as good as katz or others. Not really sure I would be doing this unless I already was all in on doing the seat reupholstery.

Spending some spare thought bubbles figuring out the best way to diffuse the cooler air across the surface of the seat and back. Most of the aftermarket kits use plastic or silicone tray to create air channels, usually with a less dense/open cell foam on top then the perforated or cloth seat cover to further diffuse and provide cushion from the tray. Gonna head to a hardware stores this weekend for inspiration to see what I can come up with.

Picked up a free z seat to experiment with. Put on hazmat suit to remove upholstery and clean foam.
Enjoyed putting some spirited miles on the back roads.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
04 6mt Coupe - motordyne 5/16 ART pipes TDX2; KWv2; Hotchkiss; custom seats.
Originally Posted by telcoman
What an amazing vehicle. I test drove both the Model 3 and the Model S today
The acceleration is incredible and is similar to the feeling one experiences when setting in a jet passenger plane as it begins to accelerate down the runway at take off and your back presses into the seat back.
Was granted an overnight test drive with a 2015 Model S by a salesman at the local luxury/euro/exotic used lot that at the time was attached to the Infiniti dealership. No idea why he thought I was going to buy, but I wasn't going to argue. Had a blast draining that battery down in ludicrous mode without supervision. Dropped the fob off and said thanks for the funz, you might want to charge her up. Personally rather have a classic car and restomod it than buy a new one...but I can totally see the appeal, it is quite the machine...

Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah one of my younger brothers is on his second P100D, the second one he paid the ludicrous tax. They're awesome in a straight line but as soon as you turn you can definitely feel the weight of the car, his first one did NOT have the adaptive suspension and it felt 5x worse in the corners.

They'll be a much better car when the second generation Model S comes out, right now they're severely expensive (sticker on his second one was $140k but he got it for $106k because it was a test car at a dealership in L.A.) and the fit and finish is utter dogshit. Misaligned panels, misaligned headlights, misaligned trim, squeaks and rattles like you wouldn't believe. It took 50' of 1/2" foam stuffed into every crack just to make it legitimately driveable and I spent about 2 hours with a plastic mallet and a tube of BASF NP1 "breaking" plastic trim pieces with the mallet and using the NP1 to glue things into the proper position. Headlights weren't fixable, all the misalignment was inside the housing so you could see it if you looked closely but I was able to get them to throw the beam in a straight line at least.

Both cars had nearly identical problems, the first was a 2016 and brand new, the second was a 2017 with 1000 miles of test driving but sold as brand new. It's worthless to have a Tesla service center work on them because the backlog was like 7 months for cosmetic issues lol.

The longevity seems to be in the 350k range before you have major "rebuild" type repairs, unfortunately aftermarket parts are nonexistant for major components.

The technology though is amazing, especially the autopilot.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ohh and I didn't do anything to the G today because it's not the weekend YET.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 PM
Received 410 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by TokkioDrift
Was granted an overnight test drive with a 2015 Model S by a salesman at the local luxury/euro/exotic used lot that at the time was attached to the Infiniti dealership. No idea why he thought I was going to buy, but I wasn't going to argue. Had a blast draining that battery down in ludicrous mode without supervision. Dropped the fob off and said thanks for the funz, you might want to charge her up. Personally rather have a classic car and restomod it than buy a new one...but I can totally see the appeal, it is quite the machine...
Shouldve drove it to a Jiffy lube and asked them how much for an oil change.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The motors are mated to a differential that DOES get serviced, just because it's electric doesn't mean there aren't fluids to change.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:22 PM
Received 354 Likes on 305 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Jiffy Lube would still have suggested that the air filter was dirty and needed to be changed.

The following 2 users liked this post by G2B35AGN:
cleric670 (05-18-2019), Scorpi0 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Jiffy Lube would still have suggested that the air filter was dirty and needed to be changed.
It does have a cabin filter. Not sure about filters under the seats?

Old 05-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Replaced the cabin filter in my Q70

Telcoman

Old 05-18-2019, 01:11 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Has anyone used the K&N cabin air filters? Any opinions?

Old 05-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Drove in a charity rally in the NH mountains today with over a 300 car turnout. Was cruising with a charger srt8 on an empty twisty highway, the road straightened out and before I knew it I was bouncing off the limiter in 5th, and deep into 6th!! Funny how that happens.

Obviously he ate me in the straights but I'd pass him in the next sweeper every time. The G really is a great car and took the 4+ hours of abuse like a champ.

Another callout to Firestone Indy 500 tires.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Is that a fellow Caribbean Blue G or Athens Blue?

Old 05-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Yeah it was a supercharged DE with nice paint and wheels. At the time of photo before the rollout it was cranking without starting, no codes. The owner had recently replaced his cam sensors with cheap autozone parts... I told him to go get hitachi. After awhile it started and he headed home, he had also gotten pulled over right before that so I guess he was done for the day :0

Last edited by cswlightning; 05-19-2019 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NemesisGee (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts
Decided to take matters on my own hands, patch up the front plate hole up front, DIY an tow hook license plate holder, fixed a broken corner on the bumper ..... but the colormatch touch paint all gone wrong

ugh, i guess i will just live with it until getting a new bumper if i repaint it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?