The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
So it wasn't today, but I finally got the factory nav screen space put to good use. It involved some nail-biting modifications of the Pioneer DMH-WC5700NEX, but it fits great in there. I disabled the raise and lower function of the screen, but it might work if I plugged the motor back in.

I need to experiment with what you can do with a USB keyboard attached to a phone while Android Auto is active, as I'd like to make some physical buttons in the gaping space where the previous radio used to be. There will at least be a phone slot with wireless charging in there, but I'd like a physical volume **** and such if possible down there. I'm covering up that unsightly hole with the old factory trim for the picture.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 11-24-2021 at 08:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
cleric670 (11-25-2021), NemesisGee (12-15-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 09:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
04 TB G35 coupe 6mt w' Brembos
Plugged this in the other day

Old 12-12-2021, 05:09 PM
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts
Yesterday get together with the Z cars , for some lineup photoshoot and dinner afterwards

The following users liked this post:
NemesisGee (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 05:14 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
We finally got some rain here yesterday and a lot of it!! So on my way home from work I did hit some water puddles here and there. Parked the car and went to sleep and when I work up this morning and tried to start it, the battery was completely dead! Jumped the battery from my sister’s car and let it run for about 15 minutes to let it recharge a bit. I shut the car off and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I came back and tried to start the car and the battery was drained down again!!

Something definitel got wet and is drawing some power while the car is off. So for the next few days, Im gonna have to disconnect my battery whenever I park, until whatever got wet is dried out.

Last edited by Scorpi0; 12-15-2021 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:30 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago after an hour's highway drive in the pouring rain. Got to work just fine but after a few minutes the horn started going off on its own. Started up the car and the dash was all lit up, wouldn't rev past 2500 rpm, no crankshaft signal, etc. Horn still going off.

Took the battery out during lunch break and pulled out the IPDM from the firewall bracket. There was a bunch of built up crud built up underneath, all of it was soaked and condensation was going right up into the unsealed IPDM housing. I cleaned up the mess, dried out the insides of a couple of very slightly wet connectors, and left everything to sit for the rest of the day.

Put it all back together after work, no problems since.... Although next time I'll spray some dielectric grease around the connectors and wiring down there as a shield.

One place to check on your car

Old 12-16-2021, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago after an hour's highway drive in the pouring rain. Got to work just fine but after a few minutes the horn started going off on its own. Started up the car and the dash was all lit up, wouldn't rev past 2500 rpm, no crankshaft signal, etc. Horn still going off.

Took the battery out during lunch break and pulled out the IPDM from the firewall bracket. There was a bunch of built up crud built up underneath, all of it was soaked and condensation was going right up into the unsealed IPDM housing. I cleaned up the mess, dried out the insides of a couple of very slightly wet connectors, and left everything to sit for the rest of the day.

Put it all back together after work, no problems since.... Although next time I'll spray some dielectric grease around the connectors and wiring down there as a shield.

One place to check on your car
Ya I was thinking its probably the ipdm as well. I drove the car to work and back and when I parked it I immediately checked the voltage on my battery for a few seconds. It wasnt dropping at all so I decided to leave my battery connected for the next few hours. Few hours passed and I turned the key and she started right up! So my problem is gone for now. But I think one of these days Im gonna remove the ipdm and see what else I can do underneath to moisture proof it even more.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:39 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
I'm a couple weeks late posting this, but right before putting my G away for the winter I replaced the taillights with the '06-'07 ones. I had chipped one of my original lights when replacing the rear bumper cover brackets this summer, so figured I'd use it as an excuse to update them.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
G35x/Cayman S 3.8L
New Z1 coils and OEM plugs...new valve covers and gaskets because of the dreaded oil infiltration. Whatever, I'll just lie to myself and say that those components needed to be changed anyway due to the high mileage.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:47 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
I haven't posted any updates but I'm continuing development of the car for the upcoming track season
I finally got around to developing some fins for the bottom of the front splitter. Made a few test prints and then printed some molds:

I'm sitting on about 7 unfinished molds with more on the way that need to be sanded, primered, and sealed before I can make carbon parts out of them. In the end I should make some very nice and lightweight fins for the splitter.
I also made some molds for additional bumper inlet ducting to better route the air to the radiator (the shoe looking ones)
So yea, lots of carbon fiber work to be done in January

I also started collecting bits and pieces for a front end rebuild, my front subframe is more rust than metal at this point, so I got a lightly used one and had it cleaned and powdercoated. It goes well with some new engine mounts:

Nothing exciting, but I promise the carbon bits will look great when all of this comes together.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:05 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
eBay aluminum radiator and silicone hoses came in today, when/if the snow ever melts I'll drive over to the shop and put them in. Sort of left the G in the driveway where it was puking out coolant a month ago.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:12 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Dad died a couple weeks ago, I had always worked out of his shop for my auto projects. It was primarily a carpentry shop because my dad was a retired carpenter. Now I'm in the process of converting things over to be more automotive-oriented, and I'm finally getting around to that radiator project.

Need to saw cut / jackhammer out a section of concrete and pour a thicker and rebar reinforced section because some time this summer I plan on putting in a 2 post lift of my own so I no longer have to use my friends'. Also reengineer a couple trusses and vault them for more overhead clearance.

Feels so empty without the tablesaw at one end and boat stored in the shop. I think it's 55' long so PLENTY of room to work with.

The following 2 users liked this post by cleric670:
No Boost (02-12-2022), Urbanengineer (04-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 10:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Black w/ gray A/T
Sorry for you loss.

looks like a nice garage. Wish mine was that deep.
your G looks like mine (black w/black grill and chrome emblem) albeit newer.
mines an 04

Joe

Old 02-13-2022, 03:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad, man 😔👎

Old 02-14-2022, 03:45 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by cleric670
Dad died a couple weeks ago, I had always worked out of his shop for my auto projects. It was primarily a carpentry shop because my dad was a retired carpenter. Now I'm in the process of converting things over to be more automotive-oriented, and I'm finally getting around to that radiator project.

Need to saw cut / jackhammer out a section of concrete and pour a thicker and rebar reinforced section because some time this summer I plan on putting in a 2 post lift of my own so I no longer have to use my friends'. Also reengineer a couple trusses and vault them for more overhead clearance.

Feels so empty without the tablesaw at one end and boat stored in the shop. I think it's 55' long so PLENTY of room to work with.
Sorry for your loss Cleric.

I would love to have a lift, but it just won't work in my current garage. Someday...

Old 02-15-2022, 05:24 PM
I can haz potato?

Received 1,016 Likes on 791 Posts
sabertooth tiger
Originally Posted by cleric670

[img]
sorry for your loss cleric670, my condolences!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?