The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

cold start grind sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
cold start grind sound

it happens at cold starts listen closely 0:04-0:05 it sounds like a grind or something is that normal with these cars?

Last edited by VisualSeven; 04-15-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Mine definitely does NOT do that. Where does the sound come from? Cold start only? Does it affect driving? Auto or MT?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine makes a slight grinding noise just like that happens during some (not all) cold starts and has done that since day one. I have read online about other swho have posted with similar issues, but the overall response was that this is somewhat normal. Yours sounds more noticeable though, almost like the starter is not disengaging at the right time or something.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
The brief noise you hear is made by the throw-out bearing in a m/t G. Upon cold startup it may make a short rattle/grind sound. Mine does this as well and is pretty normal.

The "throw-out bearing" is the heart of clutch operation. When the clutch pedal is depressed, the throw-out bearing moves toward the flywheel, pushing in the pressure plate's release fingers and moving the pressure plate fingers or levers against pressure plate spring force. This action moves the pressure plate away from the clutch disc, thus interrupting power flow.

Mounted on an iron casting called a hub, the throw-out bearing slides on a hollow shaft at the front of the transmission housing. The clutch fork and connecting linkage convert the movement of the clutch pedal to the back and forth movement of the clutch throw-out bearing. To disengage the clutch, the release bearing is moved toward the flywheel by the clutch fork. As the bearing contacts the pressure plate's release fingers, it begins to rotate with the pressure plate assembly. The release bearing continues to move forward and pressure on the release levers or fingers causes the force of the pressure plate's spring to move away from the clutch disc. To engage the clutch, the clutch pedal is released and the release bearing moves away from the pressure plate. This action allows the pressure plate's springs to force against the clutch disc, engaging the clutch to the flywheel. Once the clutch is fully engaged, the release bearing is normally stationary and does not rotate with the pressure plate.

hope that helped.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by supreme1911
Mine definitely does NOT do that. Where does the sound come from? Cold start only? Does it affect driving? Auto or MT?
its auto, i just got the car 2 weeks ago it seems to drive fine and cold start only.

Originally Posted by AustinG35
Mine makes a slight grinding noise just like that happens during some (not all) cold starts and has done that since day one. I have read online about other swho have posted with similar issues, but the overall response was that this is somewhat normal. Yours sounds more noticeable though, almost like the starter is not disengaging at the right time or something.
Today in the morning it didnt make the sound, but later on the day it got colder so after school i started the car up and it made the sound again, it seems to happen only when it gets colder.

Originally Posted by G35CDriver
The brief noise you hear is made by the throw-out bearing in a m/t G. Upon cold startup it may make a short rattle/grind sound. Mine does this as well and is pretty normal.

The "throw-out bearing" is the heart of clutch operation. When the clutch pedal is depressed, the throw-out bearing moves toward the flywheel, pushing in the pressure plate's release fingers and moving the pressure plate fingers or levers against pressure plate spring force. This action moves the pressure plate away from the clutch disc, thus interrupting power flow.

Mounted on an iron casting called a hub, the throw-out bearing slides on a hollow shaft at the front of the transmission housing. The clutch fork and connecting linkage convert the movement of the clutch pedal to the back and forth movement of the clutch throw-out bearing. To disengage the clutch, the release bearing is moved toward the flywheel by the clutch fork. As the bearing contacts the pressure plate's release fingers, it begins to rotate with the pressure plate assembly. The release bearing continues to move forward and pressure on the release levers or fingers causes the force of the pressure plate's spring to move away from the clutch disc. To engage the clutch, the clutch pedal is released and the release bearing moves away from the pressure plate. This action allows the pressure plate's springs to force against the clutch disc, engaging the clutch to the flywheel. Once the clutch is fully engaged, the release bearing is normally stationary and does not rotate with the pressure plate.

hope that helped.
Ye but this is an auto

Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
bet it is then your VTC actuator. You woul dhave to take it to your local dealer to have it checked out.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
lolz the explanations in this thread....let me take a stab at it. How about the VTC sprokets or tensioner, or guides. More than likely the issue is the tensioner is building up pressure in the morning and for like 2-3 seconds will make a noise until it is up to pressure. In the process it will add wear to the sprokets, guides and possibly timing chain. I would not spend a penny and just live with it if it is only during cold starts for less than 5 seconds. Any thing else or continous then that means it is a larger issue.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/ntb03-060.pdf

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...revisited.html

Old 04-17-2012, 04:22 PM
well today it was a bit colder otuside in the morning the car said 53F but it was actually like 37-40F and here is a better clip of the sound.
And thanks for the info faizz23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2_oO...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It does sound like the starter.

Its that sound like you are trying to crank/start an already running car and it makes a nasty grinding noise. pretty sure everybody heres done that before lol.

Starters have an overrunning clutch. Once you start the car, the pinion gear thats on the flywheel retracts away and back into the starter and freewheels. That might be your problem as far as I can tell in the video...

Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by supreme1911
It does sound like the starter.

Its that sound like you are trying to crank/start an already running car and it makes a nasty grinding noise. pretty sure everybody heres done that before lol.

Starters have an overrunning clutch. Once you start the car, the pinion gear thats on the flywheel retracts away and back into the starter and freewheels. That might be your problem as far as I can tell in the video...
ye i know how that sounds :P, but it seems to happen only at colder climates.

Would someone be able to check this thread out? https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...-oil-leak.html

i took some pictures but i cant really tell were that **** is leaking from cause like half the **** is wet lol

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2005 Sedan 6MT makes a brief rattle/grinding noise some mornings. However, it doesn't always make the sound immediately. Today it waited until after I started the car, pulled out of the driveway, and was coasting (clutch in) through the soft curb at the end of my driveway.

Not sure if it is the same noise or not because the sound in the video above is not very distinct.