The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

California Emission Laws

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
California Emission Laws

Are there any negative effects that come from them?

I gotta do a speech on something persuasive and I might do it on why CA emission laws are too strict or something like that, but I need legit reasons and I'm not sure if i've got enough to talk about or if this is even a legit topic.

It's either this or over fishing and that's kind of boring lol.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by prinny

I gotta do a speech on something persuasive and I might do it on why CA emission laws are too strict or something like that, but I need legit reasons and I'm not sure if i've got enough to talk about or if this is even a legit topic.

You could do it on something like... Motorcycles actually do more damage to the ozone gallon for gallon than cars do and yet they can add whatever performance mod but still not have to worry about passing smog. Which to me seems unfair. So if I was writing it, I would dig up more info on this subject and give it a go.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
I don't know about any other negative side effects from them other than they're a pain in the butt when you want to mod your car in any emissions related manner haha. You could argue that perhaps other states have much less strict or non-existent emissions testing though.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Not from CA, but does the state have different emissions segments for cars versus SUV's? If so, I'd take that as my primary attack.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by EbbAndBlow
You could do it on something like... Motorcycles actually do more damage to the ozone gallon for gallon than cars do and yet they can add whatever performance mod but still not have to worry about passing smog. Which to me seems unfair. So if I was writing it, I would dig up more info on this subject and give it a go.
That's a good reason, but not sure if i'd have enough info for a 6 minute speech hmm..

Originally Posted by VMRWheels
I don't know about any other negative side effects from them other than they're a pain in the butt when you want to mod your car in any emissions related manner haha. You could argue that perhaps other states have much less strict or non-existent emissions testing though.
I could do that.. but then people could argue back about the difference in population and the amount of registered cars in each state. More cars, more pollution

Originally Posted by MotF Bane
Not from CA, but does the state have different emissions segments for cars versus SUV's? If so, I'd take that as my primary attack.
Pretty sure it's all the same besides for motorcycles

Thanks everyone for the input though!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
California emission laws were put in place due to what the increased population (more cars) has done to the air we breathe. I recall driving into my valley thru the layer of uck and noticing a smell of toxic bleach which no longer exists today. The legit reason as you put it is "Cleaner air!"
Gary

Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
The negative effect of California's stricter emissions is that CA's regulations were made for their unique environment and the economy of scale in producing vehicles means that you need to manufacture to the lowest denominator rather than make multiple versions for multiple localities, and since CA's emission regulations are far more strict than the other 49 states, you have a lot of extra burden placed on manufacturers to appease 1 state. If you don't know what I mean by their unique environment, L.A. is a good example of many parts of the state that created their "need" for strict regulations - coastal breezes hitting mountains to the east and basically trapping smog that doesn't pass over/beyond the mountains until a strong front blows through.

So the rest of the country is stuck with potentially less entertaining vehicles as a result and smaller businesses are barred from entering the market place because they can't hit a constantly moving CAFE / EPA target that probably doesn't really matter to most of the country, etc etc etc, you can probably find something in that.

Florida is a perfect example of California's antithesis - it has no (generalization) smog because it gets a coastal breeze from the west and has nothing to stop it from blowing clear across the state and back out to sea. But they still have the same products available to them that the rest of the country does because of California. They also have zero emissions requirement during vehicle inspections, which makes them awesome - and no I don't live there yet lol.

You're probably too young to remember, but in the 80s / early 90s, vehicle commercials started adding a disclaimer in their TV commercials about how such and such a vehicle was able to pass California emissions... This wasn't something in the small text, it was spoken as if it were the MSRP. It didn't last long because soon after economies of scale dictated building to CA standards, but it was there and was the start.

Make what you will of it, I'd go for an economic impact. And I've only touched on the OEMs, there's a big aftermarket impact as well. Good luck in any case, hope this helped.

The following users liked this post:
prinny (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
global warming is a myth, CA is just crazy...........lol

Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Some illegal mods don't really worsen the effects of smog at all. Commiefornia is too herp derp to understand it.

Plus the cops suck *****. They'll send you to smog ref on a bad day if they see something shiny, even if its OEM polished.

**** the epa
**** the police

All you have to do is call them all idiots and tell them to bring people who know whats good and whats bad. Turbo kits should be legal. An EXTERNAL DUMP TUBE (atmosphere dump) should not be.

These laws just make people who want to go all out install whatever they want.

For example, that external dump. I had one on my evo with a gt30r turbo kit, and it was super loud and smelly. But the turbo kit on it was illegal anyway, why not add the external dump on it.

If turbos were legal, and dump tubes were not, then I wouldn't install a dump tube. Thereby bettering my own emissions.

But if the turbo kit is illegal, and I want one, I'll install that along with an external dump and a bunch of other illegal crap.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They increase the cost of new cars, since the standards get tighter, leading to more people driving older cars, which pollute more.

The CARB has to certify parts for use in California. So, for example, your air intake has to be CARB certified. you can't run a non-certified one even if it's perfectly clean and emissions compliant, it has to be certified. Certification costs money, so parts cost more, and you can't get them for some cars since the producers dindn't bother certifying them.

in CA, for example, since catalytic converters are so expensive and frequently stolen, there are laws against selling used ones, and the certifications make it almost illegal to have aftermarket ones, leading to higher repair costs.

The bottom line, it costs a ton of money to comply with this nonsense, and it keeps old cars on the road longer as a result.

The following users liked this post:
prinny (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Leksikon
The negative effect of California's stricter emissions is that CA's regulations were made for their unique environment and the economy of scale in producing vehicles means that you need to manufacture to the lowest denominator rather than make multiple versions for multiple localities, and since CA's emission regulations are far more strict than the other 49 states, you have a lot of extra burden placed on manufacturers to appease 1 state. If you don't know what I mean by their unique environment, L.A. is a good example of many parts of the state that created their "need" for strict regulations - coastal breezes hitting mountains to the east and basically trapping smog that doesn't pass over/beyond the mountains until a strong front blows through.

So the rest of the country is stuck with potentially less entertaining vehicles as a result and smaller businesses are barred from entering the market place because they can't hit a constantly moving CAFE / EPA target that probably doesn't really matter to most of the country, etc etc etc, you can probably find something in that.

Florida is a perfect example of California's antithesis - it has no (generalization) smog because it gets a coastal breeze from the west and has nothing to stop it from blowing clear across the state and back out to sea. But they still have the same products available to them that the rest of the country does because of California. They also have zero emissions requirement during vehicle inspections, which makes them awesome - and no I don't live there yet lol.

You're probably too young to remember, but in the 80s / early 90s, vehicle commercials started adding a disclaimer in their TV commercials about how such and such a vehicle was able to pass California emissions... This wasn't something in the small text, it was spoken as if it were the MSRP. It didn't last long because soon after economies of scale dictated building to CA standards, but it was there and was the start.

Make what you will of it, I'd go for an economic impact. And I've only touched on the OEMs, there's a big aftermarket impact as well. Good luck in any case, hope this helped.

VERY useful, thank you haha and yeah I'm only 21 so that was too long ago for me

Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
California Emission Laws
They are fvcking retarded.......nuff said

Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
I could do that.. but then people could argue back about the difference in population and the amount of registered cars in each state. More cars, more pollution
That's my point though, it's really just an inconvenience. I don't think people will really find much wrong with it otherwise.