The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Just got DINGed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just got DINGed

So I'm sitting in my car at a parking lot @ jewels, waiting for my friends to get back out, and then suddenly what I feared most in public parking lots, I got dinged. A black lady opened the passenger side door, and WHAM. It was that loud.. but it left a dime sized paint chip. Thank god my friends just got back, and I explained to them the situation. I came out and asked her for insurance, and she told me she doesn't have it on her. So I took her license info down, and plate number just in case. I told her it might be 100$ to fix the chip, and she gave it to me and left. She tried to reverse out of the parking lot, while my friend was taking a picture of her plate(my phone camera is broke)!

So how much will it really cost to fix this chip? as far as I can tell, I can't see a dent. I don't really want to report it to my insurance and have to pay my 500 deductible, since it will take a while to get the money because she has no insurance.

I was thinking of taping the area off, sanding it, then apply primer, a few layers of touchup paint, and then clear coat then getting my buffer and polishing it.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
I would have called the cops right then and thr.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by G35SedanGrn
I would have called the cops right then and thr.
You would've called the cops over a small dent that you can barely see?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
That sucks to hear man. Not sure why it was necessary for you to point out the fact that the lady is black... but ok.

Good luck with the repairs and I hope your car is repaired completely. Shop around and find a reputable shop with a fair estimate and roll with it. It is a fair argument that you released the woman from any further obligation to pay you additional reparations the moment you "settled" with her for $100. But hey- be glad you were able to recover that. Most dings of the sort go under the radar; it is rare to catch the violator red handed. Perhaps even more unusual that she actually paid you something.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
lol @ black lady

Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by dreamreality
You would've called the cops over a small dent that you can barely see?
Considering my cars finish cost 8 grand yes I would call the cops over someones blatant negligence. It's not hard to open your door and not hit the car next to you. A small ding will cost me $500-$1500 to fix due to my paint being pearl & it won't match unless like 1/4 of the car is repainted. And she has no insurance, that alone is worth calling the cops.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by G35SedanGrn
Considering my cars finish cost 8 grand yes I would call the cops over someones blatant negligence. It's not hard to open your door and not hit the car next to you. A small ding will cost me $500-$1500 to fix due to my paint being pearl & it won't match unless like 1/4 of the car is repainted. And she has no insurance, that alone is worth calling the cops.
You're mistaken if you think they'd come out to that. I was hit by a red light runner and when I called the police, they said they would not come out unless there was an injury.

The following users liked this post:
jenxin (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 12:57 AM
What happens is that, If its not a major accident, both of us should take down the information of each party, and then drive down to the closest police station and file a report. And currently I don't have my insurance card on me(getting a new one sent in, and yes I am covered atm).

The damage wasn't too bad, I think I can fix it myself since I have most of the materials and also the equipment to fix it. I had a horrible feeling today.. Knew something was going to go wrong with my car, good thing I stayed inside the car, and let my friends go do the shopping.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Don't know where you live but where I live the cops will come.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
if its only a dime size, have you look at PDR? They maybe able to take it out if it isnt too bad.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my G lasted 4 days before its perfect body was tainted by some dumb a$$. if its one thing i cant stand its peoples lack of respect for our property. Sorry to hear about it man and i hope you can get it fixed. ive decided to leave mine since its not huge and once i get out of college and dont have yayhoos running everywhere i will take it to a reputable PDR shop

Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 AM
It was dark when it happened, I was only able to see some paint come off, praying there were no dents, else time for me to learn how to do pdr.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not worry much all you have to do is call your local dealerships and ask for their body shop. Once transferred ask for the number of guy who fixes their dings. Every dealership uses these guys as they are cheap,fast, and don't use bondo. I have had mine fixed for about $40 without ever a trace. it does depends where you live. That is a common issue with our cars as there is no protection to the huge doors we have. Just an idea.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gowner
i would not worry much all you have to do is call your local dealerships and ask for their body shop. Once transferred ask for the number of guy who fixes their dings. Every dealership uses these guys as they are cheap,fast, and don't use bondo. I have had mine fixed for about $40 without ever a trace. It does depends where you live. That is a common issue with our cars as there is no protection to the huge doors we have. Just an idea.
+1/\ /\

Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 AM
I don't see how it can only cost 40$.. usually have to reapply and blend clear coat to get it to the point where its unnoticeable. Not only that, but the labor is at least a couple hours. Note, the chip went to the metal, meaning I will have to primer it. I'll probably end up doing a epoxy primer than use some highbuild primer, than add 3 layers of base paint and then 3 layers of clear.

Or maybe just go for the primer then Bondo, 3 base, 3 clear.

I'm thinking the bondo should be fine as long as I primer the bare metal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just got DINGed