The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Why don't more people HPDE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:13 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Why don't more people HPDE

I think every self respecting "car person" should try HPDE (high performance driving event) at least once, especially with a car like a G35/37. It is so incredibly fun, nothing else driving your car compares. Canyon carving doesn't even come close.

I don't understand why more people don't go. It's not that expensive ($100-300/day), there are tracks all over america, there are tons of friendly groups with great free/cheap instructors (like NASA), it's easy to find events/track calendars with the internet, you can get track insurance, and it doesn't really beat up on your car in the beginner groups.

Except you hellaflush/stance people. You should probably stay away. Your cars probably couldn't pass tech inspection because they'd be a hazard to you and everyone sharing the track with you.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo
I think every self respecting "car person" should try HPDE (high performance driving event) at least once, especially with a car like a G35/37. It is so incredibly fun, nothing else driving your car compares. Canyon carving doesn't even come close.

I don't understand why more people don't go. It's not that expensive ($100-300/day), there are tracks all over america, there are tons of friendly groups with great free/cheap instructors (like NASA), it's easy to find events/track calendars with the internet, you can get track insurance, and it doesn't really beat up on your car in the beginner groups.

Except you hellaflush/stance people. You should probably stay away. Your cars probably couldn't pass tech inspection because they'd be a hazard to you and everyone sharing the track with you.
It costs a lot of money to track a car, not just the admission cost. On a G35, expect to pay about $400-500/track day in terms of amortized wear and tear. It's a pretty heavy car, brakes and tires go fast, but that's if you're pushing it hard. The first few track days, when you are learning to drive and still go fairly slowly, don't do all that much wear and tear, and I agree that everyone should do it to become a better driver

I've done 50+ HPDE track days in the last couple of years, but just two in the G35, and if anyone is serious about it, I'd strongly advise buying a second car for track duty, and it doesn't have to be expensive - a used Miata, S2000, or an old lighter car like a BMW E30 chassis. The reason for this is that the G simply isn't designed for track duty; the brakes are too small, the wheels are too big and heavy, the sport suspension is too soft and bottoms out, the cooling isn't sufficient for sustained driving (though 20-30 minute sessions are ok, you'll overheat transmission on longer runs). It would cost as much to retrofit upgrades to the car as it would to buy a second track car, and a more track worthy G drives much more harshly on the street.

The following users liked this post:
totopo (06-27-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
I would have loved to track the G when I lived in the states, but the cost of tires and brakes was just too much for me.

I used to track A LOT back in the day in my old SE-R. 15" tires are a helluva a lot cheaper.

With all that said, now that I live in Europe with the G, I will be making a trip to the Nurburgring later on this year with the G.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
^ We will need those videos on your RaceChannel when you get the chance...

Old 06-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
^Most def!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by marcinr
It costs a lot of money to track a car, not just the admission cost. On a G35, expect to pay about $400-500/track day in terms of amortized wear and tear. It's a pretty heavy car, brakes and tires go fast, but that's if you're pushing it hard. The first few track days, when you are learning to drive and still go fairly slowly, don't do all that much wear and tear, and I agree that everyone should do it to become a better driver

I've done 50+ HPDE track days in the last couple of years, but just two in the G35, and if anyone is serious about it, I'd strongly advise buying a second car for track duty, and it doesn't have to be expensive - a used Miata, S2000, or an old lighter car like a BMW E30 chassis. The reason for this is that the G simply isn't designed for track duty; the brakes are too small, the wheels are too big and heavy, the sport suspension is too soft and bottoms out, the cooling isn't sufficient for sustained driving (though 20-30 minute sessions are ok, you'll overheat transmission on longer runs). It would cost as much to retrofit upgrades to the car as it would to buy a second track car, and a more track worthy G drives much more harshly on the street.
From your username, I take it this video is you?

watched it like 20 times before my first time at thunderhill thanks for posting that vid.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Yup, that's me You may have noticed a thumping sounds under braking - my rotors got so hot that one of them threw out a chunk of metal, so I was tracking on a rotor with a hole in it. That one track day cost me 4 DBA-4000 ($550) rotors and a set of Ferodo DS2500 ($300) pads in the G35, not to mention about 1-2k miles worth of tire wear. That's roughly 3x the maintenance cost of tracking my Lotus.

It's not public, but I also made a video that's a little primer to that track for new people that I've been instructing.

If anyone wants to see what it's like to drive at a track day, have a look:

The following 2 users liked this post by marcinr:
thescreensavers (06-28-2012), totopo (08-01-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ nice video

Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
I was planning to do a HPDE in my G when I got back to the states, this has me questioning that decision.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 PM
You won't ruin anything on your first track day, since you'll only be using a small part of the car's capability. It takes much practice to push the machine to its limits consistently. The first couple of track days shouldn't even be very noticeable in terms of wear, just make sure to have good brake pads that are plenty thick. I was driving the G at 100% of what it had on those tires and brakes, but I've got many thousands of track days under my belt.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM
It depends on the track as well. Alot of the lower speed tracks without big braking zones is alot easier on the car, especially in the beginner groups. If you are pushing your car, you will end up behind conga lines and give your car time to cool down before things start really wearing. And then there's always rain. Super scary, but negligible wear to the car, unless you hit a wall or go off track.

I've just moved into the intermediate groups, and only now am I really seeing wear to the brakes and tires, especially at stop and go tracks like thunderhill.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
RCL
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
its fun I plan to do a track day soon

Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo

as with all leisure activities, people have different priorities. those that want to try it, will try it.. and people that dont.. well they just dont. no use hurting your brain figuring out how human behaviors work.