The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

The 'AWD' symbol...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'AWD' symbol...

I see it light when I first start up with all the other lights. Haven't driven in the snow/ice yet, so don't know: when does it (and SLIP) light up? Also, when to use the Snow setting and what does it do?

Thx!

Old 01-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Snow if I remember right locks power to 50-50, to be only used when driving... in snow.

AWD won't show up unless you have a problem with the AWD circuit.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Snow if I remember right locks power to 50-50, to be only used when driving... in snow.
Correct...50/50, and only on snow or ice. It's for really slippery conditions; don't even use it on wet roads. Otherwise you risk overheating the transfer case. It's not designed to be a full-time four wheel drive system. It's designed to make a powerful rear wheel drive luxury sport sedan safer in snow conditions.

In addition, the snow button cuts engine power to limit potential wheel spin.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:15 PM
I should add that the ATTESA system is variable. I.E., it functions as AWD from standstill up to about 16 mph. Then it gradually transitions virtually all power to the rear wheels. So the G35x handling at speed is really performing as a rear wheel drive vehicle. But the handling characteristics are not as aggressive as the regular rear wheel drive Gs in recognition of the likely market for the cars: careful, conservative people worried about driving in snow.

The rear sway bar is dinky, which provides conservative drivers easier-to-handle understeer, rather than the more neutral steering of the non-AWD Gs. An adjustable Hotchkis sway bar will cure that "problem."

Last edited by G2B35AGN; 01-18-2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling edit
The following users liked this post:
AmigaJoe (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when driving at say, 30mph, I should expect it to handle like any other RWD even in slippery conditions? Kinda negates why I bought an AWD in the first place!

Last edited by AmigaJoe; 01-16-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:42 PM
I'm not a super expert on the system but I'd say not exactly. Remember the G also has Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC). My guess is that at 30 mph the AWD system is still sending a percentage of power to the front wheels; how much I don't know, just not locked at 50/50.

If the system senses slippage in traction, it has the capability to throw power to the front wheels if necessary. This is in addition to the VDC system that is sensing slip, yaw, and directional error to assist in straightening out the car through selective wheel braking.

RWD Gs have only VDC. The AWD adds front wheel power capability to the total "correct driver error and road condition deficiencies" equation.

This is my understanding from what I've read here and there in the site and the web. There's actually a Wikipedia entry on the ATTESSA system IIRC. Hopefully some of the real techs on the site can chime in to correct whatever this guy who is playing at answering questions on a forum without portfolio has really mangulated. ????

Old 01-17-2017, 11:50 PM
Here's the link to the Wikipedia entry. The G35x uses the ATTESA E-TS system.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATTESA

Old 01-18-2017, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Very nice *

It comes down to proper tire usage for the weather and driving appropriately for conditions.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really enjoy how my X launches off the line from a stop. Goes like a stuck pig.

The following users liked this post:
ferrari71298 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by AmigaJoe
So when driving at say, 30mph, I should expect it to handle like any other RWD even in slippery conditions? Kinda negates why I bought an AWD in the first place!

I really wouldn't worry about the system. It's very advanced. Just make sure you have a quality set of tires on the car, and you will have no problem at all driving in the snow with it.

My G35x was probably one of the best cars I've ever driven in the snow with. I took it out in some deep snow and never got stuck. Total confidence with it.

SNOW mode is to be used when there is snow on the ground only. It's locks the center transfer case at 50/50 much like a part-time 4WD system on a truck. Great for getting moving from a stop. But, since the front and rear wheels are locked, it makes for some tire drag in tight corners, which is why you want to use it in the snow so the tires can slip a little.

Once the roads start to get clear, go back to normal mode.

To be honest, I used to drive in NORMAL mode all the time, even when it was snowing. Allowed me to have some fun, but I still never had issue driving around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.