The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Possible new G owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible new G owner

Hey everyone. After owning a Mazdaspeed 3 for the last 5 years, my wife is putting the foot down and asking me to find something better for our family, I have two clear sedan AWD choices, a 2006 G35X with a few mods done, and a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Stock.

Here's my issue. I am used to 300 whp, Going to an every day vehicle is depressing for me. I am a car guy, One of the reason I am looking at a G, I know the engine in the MS6 very well and I know I would enjoy it, Here's where I need opinion from guys who know these cars best.

2006 G35X Premium. Great shape of course, 214,000km, very well taken care of, and a fresh inspection. Here are the mods, Dyno tuned, Borla true dual cat back exhaust, high flow cats, jwt pop charger, motordyne 5/16 spacer, Z tube, lightweight under drive pulley set, new plugs, oversized slotted and drilled rotors.

How is this going to compare to my MS3. I've yet to test drive it, but is this going to put a smile on my face when alone and pushing the happy pedal?

Thanks all.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
TBH I would go with the Speed 6. Lot more of a driver's car compared to my old G35X. I loved the refinement of the 05+ drive ability and interior, but the speed 6 I drove for while was way faster.

Do you want more of a driver's car or more of a comfortable car? The G is more comfortable choice.

Also- parts for the Mazda would be cheaper, and Mazda would have the better resale value.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM
Just wanted to add. As much as I hate to admit it, I've never drove a RWD, or AWD car. I've always owned fwd cars, and nope I'm not a Honda guy lol. So I have no clue on the difference rwd/awd makes in the driving experience,

Old 03-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
TBH I would go with the Speed 6. Lot more of a driver's car compared to my old G35X. I loved the refinement of the 05+ drive ability and interior, but the speed 6 I drove for while was way faster.

Do you want more of a driver's car or more of a comfortable car? The G is more comfortable choice.

Also- parts for the Mazda would be cheaper, and Mazda would have the better resale value.
I want something comfortable so the wife is happy, but also something for me. I like straight line speed, but enjoy a drivers car even more. My 3 is nimble, understeers a bit, and easily overpowers the front tires, but I can still drive it spirited. I just want something that puts a smile on my face,

Old 03-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 337 Likes on 288 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
The Infiniti/Nissan Attessa AWD system is different. It is variable. It starts out as AWD up to about 16 mph, and then begins to shift power to the rear wheels. Under most instances, you are driving a RWD car. When the system detects slippage to the rear wheels (wet or snowy), it will direct power to the front wheels too. It's quite sophisticated. When there is lots of snow on the ground, the Snow button locks the system to 50/50 distribution, and cuts power to the engine. It's great in the snow.

Handling is OK, but it really is set up for cautious adult drivers that feel like they want the assurance of AWD in inclement conditions. Upgrading to adjustable swaybars will be a major improvement in the handling. But because the AWD was not really the enthusiast's first choice, there is limited aftermarket suspension choices for them, and the front suspension is completely different from the sedan and coupe. Unfortunately, AWD swaybar sets are hard to come by. Hotchkis made them, but you can't find them on their website anymore. If you find some, you will want to put adjustable endlinks on the rear; for the front, only Mevotech and Moog make aftermarket endlinks, and they are not adjustable. The adjustment up there will be in the hole you choose on the swaybar.

With RWD, just remember to brake before entering the corner, and then power through the curve.

Your wife is going to like the G35 refinement better, and you can do things to it to make it reasonably satisfying for you. Much of it is already done for the one you mention. There is an AWD sticky on the forum somewhere, and some threads about what folks have done to drop them a little bit. Search them out. Drop the sedanX too much, you will tear the front boots and that's a hassle.

I had one for four years, and just lost it due to insurance declaring it a total loss. I was sad for a bit, but over it now. Ended up with a 2006 mint coupe with 26,500 miles. A coupe is totally not what you need for the family, so this one is mine, all mine [cue maniacal cackle].

Last edited by G2B35AGN; 03-08-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
Amazing! Thanks for the share. He is correct. Not a true AWD system and it's normally mostly AWD. Costs of replacing those AWD components can be quite costly, if kept for high mileage.

What's with all of us getting our Sedans totaled and then moving onto a coupe... lol.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Received 337 Likes on 288 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I should add that the AWD system adds about 200 lbs to curb weight with the additional transfer case and short driveshaft. IIRC, the 2006 sedanX also scored the worst fuel economy of any G35 model in any year.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your quick replies and honesty, To make matters worse a spotless 04 6 speed Maxima with a bad heart has entered the fray, and I can nab an 08 VQ35DE for 600 canadian + tax from a Maxima 6 speed coupe,

I really appreciate all the help btw, makes it a bit easier to decide,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.