Go Back  G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion > General Discussion > The G-Spot
Reload this Page >

Was there ever any verdict on the fuel economy issues?

The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Was there ever any verdict on the fuel economy issues?

Old 02-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
G35 Sport Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
Cruise control can lower MPG by 1 to 2 MPG because it needlessly automatically brakes the vehicle on downgrades. I stopped using it
Yes, it can lower, and like csw says it depends. And it's not because of the downgrades where CC can reduce overall MPG, it's the upgrades. If your trip is flat or mostly flat, like going through Kansas or traveling between Bay Area and LA, and you passionately keep CC on with little to no variation in speed, there is no way it's worse than your foot. Your foot is constantly on and off the gas a little bit here a little bit there

Old 02-10-2019, 12:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
G35 Sport Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by jcd35 View Post
Did you ever get any solution?
I have the same issue on a 2003 coupe , auto, de motor.
No CELs
He says it was the MAF sensor a couple posts up. I've read that the non OEM/non Hitachi sensors are prone to failure. Which makes me think they could be prone to operating like crap when they are working. Check to see if it says Hitachi on your MAF sensor. Maybe even look at your cam sensors too

Old 02-10-2019, 02:29 PM
SLICK
Received 1,095 Likes on 975 Posts
Subject: Fuel Economy!

Follow Nissan's recommended maintenance schedule and use 5W/30 Synthetic oil! If you have an AT D&F the trans fluid more frequently than what Nissan recommends...every 2 years especially in hot climates! To maximize your fuel economy make sure your engine is running at peak performance! (zero error codes) Use your cruise control whenever possible and block that sweet sound of your exhaust from your brain by turning up your tunes! Run 35 psi in you tires, check it every oil change! Don't be the first on to leave the stop signs as much fun as it may be!

Gary

Old 05-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35
Obviously really late response, but I literally just FINALLY (after 2 years and thousands on parts and having Infiniti + various other mechanics try to find out the issue) figured out why P1283 wouldnít go away and Iíve changed every o2 sensor and every a/f senors on the car & MAF as the most obvious culprits I thought)... Anyway Iíve been reading the threads on since I got my 04 G sedan 2 1/2 years ago with 170k, now it has 212k ... yesterday I randomly found an article that said to reset the ECU (Iíve done this only the battery way and the pedal dance) I was totally unaware the ECU has two fuses, take both of them out for 10 min and put them back in and ECU is completely reset. I thought Iíd give it a shot instead of paying Infiniti $700 to fix it... I took both fuses out, BOTH FUSES WERE SHOT!!
I swapped them out and problem solved.. been over 100miles and still no CEL, and not to mention my MPG has literally doubled. I was just about to drive my G off a cliff too!

Old 05-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Fcknshauna View Post
I was totally unaware the ECU has two fuses, take both of them out for 10 min and put them back in and ECU is completely reset. I thought Iíd give it a shot instead of paying Infiniti $700 to fix it... I took both fuses out, BOTH FUSES WERE SHOT!!
Fuses either work or they don't work. There's no "not working optimally" or working poorly. What do you mean they were "shot" ? If both fuses were blown, i.e. "shot", your car won't run.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:13 PM
G35
Sorry, my verbiage probably isn’t up to par.. I stand corrected, one of these was probably still working which would explain why car was still running, but either way it was a simple fix.. hope this helps...!!

One on the right is the fuse that’s under the hood... replaced it with a slightly better one on the left.

One on right was fuse inside car.. replaced it with the one on the left.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fcknshauna View Post
Obviously really late response, but I literally just FINALLY (after 2 years and thousands on parts and having Infiniti + various other mechanics try to find out the issue) figured out why P1283 wouldnít go away and Iíve changed every o2 sensor and every a/f senors on the car & MAF as the most obvious culprits I thought)... Anyway Iíve been reading the threads on since I got my 04 G sedan 2 1/2 years ago with 170k, now it has 212k ... yesterday I randomly found an article that said to reset the ECU (Iíve done this only the battery way and the pedal dance) I was totally unaware the ECU has two fuses, take both of them out for 10 min and put them back in and ECU is completely reset. I thought Iíd give it a shot instead of paying Infiniti $700 to fix it... I took both fuses out, BOTH FUSES WERE SHOT!!
I swapped them out and problem solved.. been over 100miles and still no CEL, and not to mention my MPG has literally doubled. I was just about to drive my G off a cliff too!
HELL WHY NOT?
I'll be checking my fuses soon, I've exchanged many sensors. I've litterally learned resistance between cam and crank sensors, sealed intake manifold, measured injectors, measured and replaced coils along with upgrading the stalks. Changed an AF sensor and blahhh.

That is a weird issue. From what I can see it could be due to contamination (fuse boxes are not in an ideal location) or could be that it saw a period of high amperage, just not enough to burn it that it carbonized it.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:37 PM
G35
I’m still shocked.. keep driving in circles to see if it’s going to change.. only thing that changed was my MPG doubling & no CEL.. & the camshafts & crankshaft sensors... those were a whole different story. Hopefully someone else finds this info helpful! Good luck!!

I get it... sometimes it’s hard for certain people to believe anything a girl says about cars. Hahah

Old 05-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
As badly corroded as those terminals (?) were, yeah, that could cause intermittent or continuous issues.

The following users liked this post:
Fcknshauna (05-01-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 767 Likes on 723 Posts
It amazes me electrical connectors don't show up from the factory with dielectric grease in them. This is what the lack Thereof causes...

Old 05-11-2019, 11:22 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 698 Likes on 647 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The IPDM was supposed to be a dry location though, however it turned out to have a very fatal flaw in the cover being difficult to completely seal up and the cowl drains were prone to getting clogged with debris.

Basically a perfect storm of engineering flaws, however I completely agree that aluminum bladed fuses should have anti-oxidation grease applied to them.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: