The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

New member, in the market

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member, in the market

Hi guys.... New member here. I was in a recent bad accident and totaled my car (07 Impala). I always wanted a Infiniti! Finally in the market and looking at 07 08 G35X sedan but hoping to land a G35XS sedan (I have little kids). Seems like everything in my price range (cash buyer) is in the 85,000 beyond 100,000 mile range. Do you guys have any tips on purchasing? Things to look for, questions to ask, things I can look at myself. I've watched a ton of videos and read a ton of articles. I use to be a car guy but out of the game for the last 10 years so I know some of the obvious things but a little lost on Infiniti stuff. Would you recommend chatting with Infiniti about Vin#'s to get a more accurate history. How do you feel about purchasing from a private seller that already has a few mods? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to diving deep into the forum and chatting with everyone!

Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
My only complaint about purchasing a modded vehicle is there's a REALLY good chance it was driven harder, however, if they did things like replaced bushings with poly ones and stuff like that then those mods are actually better than OEM so it really depends on WHICH mods. The VQ35HR motor is great but do your research so you know what kind of issues to anticipate from it, if you can spring the extra cash to get into a one year newer G37 then you get a much better motor/transmission combination with the VQ37VHR. However they're usually a bit more expensive.

I definitely recommend a FULL inspection before you purchase, if you're not comfortable with this yourself then you can have your local Nissan/Infiniti do a full point inspection for a small fee. Make sure you press Every. Single. Button. in the vehicle to make sure everything works and obviously a recorded service history is a big plus. Carfax/etc, should be mandatory for any vehicle purchase as well. Other than that just look at the cap along each body panel line to make sure every gap is 100% the same along the entire length, any mismatch or variance in gap is possible body damage that was repaired but never recorded, also look at the paint finish texture at an angle in the light and compare body panels, it should have the exact same "ripple".

If you don't have record of maintenance intervals for ALL FLUIDS then assume they were never changed and get them done asap. Transmission, rear differential, front differential, transfer case, power steering, brakes all REQUIRE replacing fluids to prevent future damage.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
My only complaint about purchasing a modded vehicle is there's a REALLY good chance it was driven harder, however, if they did things like replaced bushings with poly ones and stuff like that then those mods are actually better than OEM so it really depends on WHICH mods. The VQ35HR motor is great but do your research so you know what kind of issues to anticipate from it, if you can spring the extra cash to get into a one year newer G37 then you get a much better motor/transmission combination with the VQ37VHR. However they're usually a bit more expensive.

I definitely recommend a FULL inspection before you purchase, if you're not comfortable with this yourself then you can have your local Nissan/Infiniti do a full point inspection for a small fee. Make sure you press Every. Single. Button. in the vehicle to make sure everything works and obviously a recorded service history is a big plus. Carfax/etc, should be mandatory for any vehicle purchase as well. Other than that just look at the cap along each body panel line to make sure every gap is 100% the same along the entire length, any mismatch or variance in gap is possible body damage that was repaired but never recorded, also look at the paint finish texture at an angle in the light and compare body panels, it should have the exact same "ripple".

If you don't have record of maintenance intervals for ALL FLUIDS then assume they were never changed and get them done asap. Transmission, rear differential, front differential, transfer case, power steering, brakes all REQUIRE replacing fluids to prevent future damage.
Awesome info! Thank you.. I was up all night reading on the forum and gained a ton of info. I would love a G37 but its a little out of my price range 😢. I've been looking at parts all morning from the info I gathered last night to see the prices on some of the common parts that go out and I was surprised to see that they really werent bad. Door lock actuators and window motors were a little pricy but most other parts were competitive. Catalytic converters, fuel pump, sensors, radiators were all decent. Obviously Id be looking into some mods for those and they could get pricy but I was still surprised. I found an 07 serengeti graphite with 76,000 miles on it being sold at a Infiniti dealer sort of near me and I was stoked. Local trade in and all that jazz listed for 9,500$ I think I can haggle down a little bit or at least get a extended warranty included in that price. My hope is that all maintence was done at that dealership and up to date. Thanks again.. Loving this forum! You guys rock!

Old 01-17-2018, 12:44 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I make a checklist and print it out before going to look at ANY vehicle so I don't accidentally forget something.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 PM
I make a checklist and print it out before going to look at ANY vehicle so I don't accidentally forget something.
That's golden nugget info right there! Thanks

Old 01-29-2018, 08:44 PM
New 09 G37XS owner!

Just wanted to thank you for your help! Picked up a 09 G37XS today. Platinum Graphite on Graphite. 71,000 miles. This forum has helped a ton. Just by reading alot of my questions were answered. I cant wait to start putting a couple mods on it. Wheels and tires will probably be first. Super stoked! Was a little disappointed on the drive home though. I noticed the temp gauge and gas gauge are not illuminated but the needles are. I pulled over and started playing with things a little. I think its not picking up connection on the turn signal lever. I was able to get the temp gauge to light back up shortly then it went out again. Has anybody had any issues with that in the past. I'm sure I'm not the only one.... Other than that super happy camper! Cheers!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:03 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Congrats on the purchase!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:12 PM
Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks again.. You rock man!