The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Premium on premium gas

Old 01-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by sonors
It appears that as long as you don't drive the car hard, 87 will not harm the engine. Are you easy on the car in general?
I will answer you this way.

When you drive with these three they notice everything.
When driving them to preschool one day the traffic light turned amber and I stopped.
A vehicle one lane over perhaps one of those driving that don't put put around sped thru a red light.
The older one asked why that vehicle didn't stop and I replied that if a policeman saw that the driver would receive a ticket and could possible cause an accident. He replied mommy got a ticket last week for parking too close to a fire hydrant.

Telcoman

Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Not sure why photos post double but only on this site?
Had to stop using photobucket

Old 01-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I paid over $3 per gallon for 93 octane at a 7/11. Prices go up and down all the time but I'd be happy to pay what you did to fill up my tank.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
3.49 for premium here in the district. So it could be worse lol

Old 01-22-2018, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Telco, I get it, but every car is different. Be fair when blasting your results, you were very fortunate.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Telco, I get it, but every car is different. Be fair when blasting your results, you were very fortunate.
I know you do but many don't.

Just filled my wife's G35 yesterday with premium per usual and actually looked at the pump prices. Regular unleaded was 2.18 and premium was 2.78. That's .60 more a gallon! What premium on premium is everyone else seeing?
The OP complained about the price of premium and it wasn't even his car.
Does anyone believe his wife would have noticed any difference had he filled her vehicle with regular 87 octane saving $.60 gallon?

I presented the OP with a solution that I have personally used in my over 50 years of driving many many vehicles. Yes I'm a grandpa and a very thrifty one. I've saved tens of thousands of dollars by not wasting that extra money on premium fuel, money saved that was invested and has has grown to exceed my expectations. I can afford to purchase my vehicles new and afford to have the dealer perform necessary services. I learned a long time ago that there are many scams, false advertising and many incompetent independent shops using inferior parts offering cheap prices and scamming unsuspecting vehicle owners that end up on sites such as this one asking for advice and wondering what went wrong?

Telcoman

Old 01-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

States With the Highest and Lowest Gas Taxes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/pers...FmW?li=BBnb7Kz

Telcoman

Old 01-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
States With the Highest and Lowest Gas Taxes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/pers...FmW?li=BBnb7Kz

Telcoman
This doesn't explain the huge difference between regular and premium. They don't tax regular and premium differently. If memory serves me correctly, two years ago when we bought the G the difference was .20 a gallon. Now it's .60.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^Its called greed.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by herrschaft
^Its called greed.
"Greed is Good" Gordon Gekko

Telcoman

Old 03-17-2018, 03:54 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
This doesn't explain the huge difference between regular and premium. They don't tax regular and premium differently. If memory serves me correctly, two years ago when we bought the G the difference was .20 a gallon. Now it's .60.
Does mid-grade and premium cost the refiners a few cents more per gallon ? Sure it does - it is more expensive. Why do they charge so much more ? Because they can.... They also take advantage of people who think their car needs it or think their car runs better on it. Very few engines require premium. The owner's manual for my '08 only recommends 91 octane. It doesn't warn of dire consequences if you use lower octane either, it simply says "you may notice a decrease in performance".

It wasn't more than a couple of years ago that fuel grades cost $0.10 higher per grade (southwest Ohio area) - your experience as well as you mentioned. There's a large gas station chain - Speedway - that dictates pricing around here so it seems that all of the other stations follow suit. They charge $0.50/gallon higher for premium over regular. Walmart's stations (Murphy) charges $0.55 higher for premium; Thorntons is $0.60 higher;

Old 03-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'm now on my third Infiniti since my first 06 G35 6 speed (171796 miles), my 2012 G37S 6 speed (94444 miles) and now my newly acquired 2016 Q70 currently 3850 miles. Never used premium in any of them.
They all run fine on regular and prior to the Q70 purchase the service advisor had a Q70 and used regular in his vehicle with no problems and advised me the premium requirement is BS.
You all can believe in the BS and keep wasting your money on premium.
I've saved so much money using regular 87 I can now afford the Q70.

Telcoman

Old 03-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Just think if Nissan/Infiniti opened their own gas stations and charged $1-2 more per gallon than the local rates, then put in their manuals that they "require" their own fuel ?

Old 03-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Just think if Nissan/Infiniti opened their own gas stations and charged $1-2 more per gallon than the local rates, then put in their manuals that they "require" their own fuel ?
I wonder how many would be foolish enough to believe such fake news?

Look how many currently think they need to waste their money on premium.

Telcoman

Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Does mid-grade and premium cost the refiners a few cents more per gallon ? Sure it does - it is more expensive. Why do they charge so much more ? Because they can.... They also take advantage of people who think their car needs it or think their car runs better on it. Very few engines require premium. The owner's manual for my '08 only recommends 91 octane. It doesn't warn of dire consequences if you use lower octane either, it simply says "you may notice a decrease in performance".

It wasn't more than a couple of years ago that fuel grades cost $0.10 higher per grade (southwest Ohio area) - your experience as well as you mentioned. There's a large gas station chain - Speedway - that dictates pricing around here so it seems that all of the other stations follow suit. They charge $0.50/gallon higher for premium over regular. Walmart's stations (Murphy) charges $0.55 higher for premium; Thorntons is $0.60 higher;
Yes the owners manual RECOMMENDS 91. The fuel door on mine says REQUIRED.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Premium on premium gas