The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

6mt trans tricky to get into reverse?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Scroll down and click on the picture for "step 5" and it will enlarge and high res the picture so you can see what the lockout and the top plate look like in relation to one another, when you press the shifter down it just allows the lockout to slide UNDER the mounting plate.

https://nicoclub.com/archives/350z-g...r-install.html
so are you implying that it could be shifter assembly itself??

Old 04-29-2019, 02:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'm just implying that you need to look at all these things. It's a fairly basic mechanical system though so it's easy to take off the ****, console/boot, then the dust shield and look at it's operation to make sure everything is still in place.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:31 PM
Scroll down and click on the picture for "step 5" and it will enlarge and high res the picture so you can see what the lockout and the top plate look like in relation to one another, when you press the shifter down it just allows the lockout to slide UNDER the mounting plate.

https://nicoclub.com/archives/350z-g...r-install.html
actually the guy on the nico forum took out the shift **** with vice grips?? Then I hope I didn’t damaged anything with just turning it by hand lol

Old 04-29-2019, 02:33 PM
I'm just implying that you need to look at all these things. It's a fairly basic mechanical system though so it's easy to take off the ****, console/boot, then the dust shield and look at it's operation to make sure everything is still in place.
cool was planning to throw a greedy short shifter in the future so I hope it works out

Old 04-29-2019, 02:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The only part that can be damaged is the bolt that connects the shifter to the transmission. You can inspect that as well by getting under the vehicle, remove it and see if it's bent or anything.

EDIT: But yes typically you want to use something to hold onto the shift rod while you unscrew the ****. Unless it takes little effort to unscrew like some vehicles. Usually though the ones on the G35 are loctite into place and require a LOT of torque to break them free.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:36 PM
The only part that can be damaged is the bolt that connects the shifter to the transmission. You can inspect that as well by getting under the vehicle, remove it and see if it's bent or anything.
ahh yes I’ve seen people on YouTube that install short shifters and they show off that assembly underneath the car.So could it potentially just be loose from the bottom? That bolt?

Old 04-29-2019, 02:51 PM

EDIT: But yes typically you want to use something to hold onto the shift rod while you unscrew the ****. Unless it takes little effort to unscrew like some vehicles. Usually though the ones on the G35 are loctite into place and require a LOT of torque to break them free.
as in my case I say out of 1-10 my strength was a 5 that I had to put to take out my old shift **** with one hand

Old 04-29-2019, 04:04 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
If you've already pressed the shifter down and to the right, and the difficulty comes in getting the **** towards you into reverse, that's the drivetrain slack combined with the unsyncronized reverse gear.... most manual cars get like that as they age including my old '05 Corolla. if you put it into first before trying reverse and/or clutch in/out slightly while you're trying to get it into reverse, it'll fall right into gear. If doing that doesn't help, your clutch may not be disengaging all the way.

Fixing your drivetrain mounts will make it so you don't have to do this as much but there's nothing you can really do about backlash in the transmission, CV joints, driveshaft, and differential etc short of replacing literally everything and a little backlash in those components is normal on an older car and nothing to worry about until it starts having axial play and causing vibrations.

Last edited by cswlightning; 04-29-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:31 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by cswlightning
If you've already pressed the shifter down and to the right, and the difficulty comes in getting the **** towards you into reverse, that's the drivetrain slack combined with the unsyncronized reverse gear.... most manual cars get like that as they age including my old '05 Corolla. if you put it into first before trying reverse and/or clutch in/out slightly while you're trying to get it into reverse, it'll fall right into gear. If doing that doesn't help, your clutch may not be disengaging all the way.

Fixing your drivetrain mounts will make it so you don't have to do this as much but there's nothing you can really do about backlash in the transmission, CV joints, driveshaft, and differential etc short of replacing literally everything and a little backlash in those components is normal on an older car and nothing to worry about until it starts having axial play and causing vibrations.
This, it's worked on all of the manual cars I've driven including my current GTO.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
This, it's worked on all of the manual cars I've driven including my current GTO.
drive train mounts as in transmission mount?

Old 04-30-2019, 03:15 PM

Here’s the little screw/bolt I was talking about.Seems like with a longer shift ****,it takes quite a while to press down on that bolt compared to the oem short one

Old 04-30-2019, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_

Here’s the little screw/bolt I was talking about.Seems like with a longer shift ****,it takes quite a while to press down on that bolt compared to the oem short one
BTW I know it looks ugly which is why I’m changing it to my oem one

Old 04-30-2019, 08:00 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_
drive train mounts as in transmission mount?
Ummmmm no. Read the red, bolded text again in the quoted post.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:46 AM
yea I searched up drive train mounts and all that came up was trans mount and motor mounts

Old 05-01-2019, 12:47 AM
oh I’m sorry I didn’t know what you were referring to but now I do

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6mt trans tricky to get into reverse?