G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Ac leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04g35 sedan 6mt
Ac leak

I bought my g sedan knowing the ac wasn’t working as I was told be the previous owner before buying and decided to take the risk anyways as I loved the car.In the summer of 2019 I decided to get my car inspected and trying to fix the problem.I took my car to a shop and they ended up saying it was a “filter” and ended up replacing that along with adding Freon.The car was ice cold but it only lasted about two weeks until it started blowing hot air again.

i then took the car back to the same shop and demanded for a refund of $180 that I paid or to fix the problem.They had told me that I have a pretty big ac leak causing the Freon to leak out.The shop ended up refilling my car with Freon knowing it was going to leak out and this time it only had lasted about two days.They told me they were going to take my car to pep boys for free to get a dye test but I declined the service as I didn’t have a daily at the moment and needed to car to go to work so now I’m left with the trouble to fix my ac before the summer comes.

i live in the Midwest so it’s cold right now and wanted to use the time now to fix my ac before the summer comes but I just wanted to see how much am I looking at to repair the ac?

Old 01-23-2020, 09:16 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,468 Likes on 2,160 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Gotta get it leak tested first, best case scenario it's just an o-ring somewhere that's leaking.

Worst case scenario it's the compressor.

If you have an AC manifold, a bottle of nitrogen, and a spray bottle of dish soap you can find it yourself. Youtube probably has video's on how to find the leak yourself. Personally I wouldn't waste time on the dye unless you can't find it with nitrogen which is usually NEVER.

I have no idea what this "filter" is they were talking about, smells like bullshit.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:30 PM
04g35 sedan 6mt
Originally Posted by cleric670
Gotta get it leak tested first, best case scenario it's just an o-ring somewhere that's leaking.

Worst case scenario it's the compressor.

If you have an AC manifold, a bottle of nitrogen, and a spray bottle of dish soap you can find it yourself. Youtube probably has video's on how to find the leak yourself. Personally I wouldn't waste time on the dye unless you can't find it with nitrogen which is usually NEVER.

I have no idea what this "filter" is they were talking about, smells like bullshit.
worst scenario how much am I looking at parts and labor for the condenser? And yea it does sounds like Bs that’s why I’m considering to take the car to a Nissan dealership rather than small shops like I went to in my area as they all seem money hungry

Old 01-24-2020, 08:27 AM
Received 78 Likes on 76 Posts
g35X 4dr sedan
Originally Posted by Chi_Vq98
worst scenario how much am I looking at parts and labor for the condenser? And yea it does sounds like Bs that’s why I’m considering to take the car to a Nissan dealership rather than small shops like I went to in my area as they all seem money hungry
I'd bet by filter they're talking about the receiver/drier and there is a possibility they cut one of it's O-rings putting it on. It's under the front cover on the passenger side, should be listed in parts if they had it off. Never heard it called a filter.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Chi_Vq98
I bought my g sedan knowing the ac wasn’t working as I was told be the previous owner before buying and decided to take the risk anyways as I loved the car.In the summer of 2019 I decided to get my car inspected and trying to fix the problem.I took my car to a shop and they ended up saying it was a “filter” and ended up replacing that along with adding Freon.The car was ice cold but it only lasted about two weeks until it started blowing hot air again.

i then took the car back to the same shop and demanded for a refund of $180 that I paid or to fix the problem.They had told me that I have a pretty big ac leak causing the Freon to leak out.The shop ended up refilling my car with Freon knowing it was going to leak out and this time it only had lasted about two days.They told me they were going to take my car to pep boys for free to get a dye test but I declined the service as I didn’t have a daily at the moment and needed to car to go to work so now I’m left with the trouble to fix my ac before the summer comes.

i live in the Midwest so it’s cold right now and wanted to use the time now to fix my ac before the summer comes but I just wanted to see how much am I looking at to repair the ac?
Why didn't you get a quote for the AC repair prior to purchasing the vehicle and use the quote to lower the purchase price?
When you go to "shops" that are cheap you get what you pay for.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:50 PM
04g35 sedan 6mt
Originally Posted by telcoman
Why didn't you get a quote for the AC repair prior to purchasing the vehicle and use the quote to lower the purchase price?
When you go to "shops" that are cheap you get what you pay for.
well the previous owner knocked down the price to $1k off asking due to it not having AC.The previous owner was really nice and sticked to his word he even let me in his home to do a bill of sale during the purchase so I had trusted him fully.I should’ve asked him what made him knocked down the price and what he had been told about the AC but I got really excited during the time and It slipped my mind.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:24 PM
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
I'm sure they were talking about the filter drier. The last car we bought (V36) went through 2 shops and 3 trouble tickets before we bought it. Both places didn't get it fixed and made the problems worse each time. On top of it the guy we bought it from had payed over $1000 in work and never got it fixed. That's why we picked it up so cheap, he was tired of throwing money at it. After leak testing it we found all of the sheared (wrong size) O-rings and replaced with new ones then did a 134 recharge. I think we spent about $40 fixing it haha The biggest thing in AC work is clean clean clean and then check for leaks. There is no point of putting a oil and 134 charge in if you don't do that first. After so many leaks you really don't know how much oil you have lost so that makes more problems like possible compressor failure due to lack of oiling. I fought a B15 Sentra AC system one summer that never would work correctly and had to remove every component, drained every bit of oil,cleaned every line, replace drier, expansion valve, and filled oil/134 to FSM specs and it was ICE cold for the rest of the time we owned it. It took 2 days but was worth it.

If it's a V36 the condensor and radiator are one unit. Aftermarket units are about $180 last I bought one. (That's what was wrong on my personal 08' V36) If you replace a V36 radiator/condensor do not use the new short lines that come with them. China does not make the flares correctly and the high side line will pop off eventually, ask how I know this haha

Old 01-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Received 78 Likes on 76 Posts
g35X 4dr sedan
I fixed an A/C unit in an Si Prelude for a friend that hadn't had working air in 8 years. Everyone who worked on it assumed leaks and I literally cleaned a quart of that UV stop leak out of it and changed out the drier and expansion valve because they were plugged up plus damn near everything on it was loose as far as connections. All it actually turned out to be was bad solder joints inside the a/c control head in the dash that wouldn't let the compressor engage.
Moral of story: Way too many people working/patching on it, check everything and don't assume!

Old 01-29-2020, 02:46 PM
04g35 sedan 6mt
Originally Posted by depmike38
I fixed an A/C unit in an Si Prelude for a friend that hadn't had working air in 8 years. Everyone who worked on it assumed leaks and I literally cleaned a quart of that UV stop leak out of it and changed out the drier and expansion valve because they were plugged up plus damn near everything on it was loose as far as connections. All it actually turned out to be was bad solder joints inside the a/c control head in the dash that wouldn't let the compressor engage.
Moral of story: Way too many people working/patching on it, check everything and don't assume!
exactly what I was thinking.i had only taken my car to that one shop And no where else.Im hoping they didn’t seal something right and therefore causing the leak that way it’ll be an easy fix.My G is coming out of winter storage next month so I will be taking it either to a Nissan dealership or my tuner shop to fix the problem.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:57 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,468 Likes on 2,160 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
First thing is to throw a manifold on and look at pressures, if it's low/empty then you definitely have a leak. Any reputable AC service shop would do this.

The most common failure point electrically is the low pressure switch, fortunately they're easy to replace if that's the issue, and you can test it by using a paperclip jumper across the wires in the harness.