The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Oil Change made easier???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change made easier???

For those of you who've changed your own oil... I assume you have to take out all 20 screws and bolts that hold on the bottom engine cover. I was wondering if anyone bypassed alot of that work by cutting the bottom cover across at the section right after the series of screws that run accross? I don't really see it as a problem interfering with anything else so it seems safe. Hopefully they won't void my warranty ( I don't see why it would). Maybe I can get my oil changed in less than 30 mins now. Hope this helps anyone and input is always welcomed.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:18 PM
I took the cover off the first time I changed my oil. Now I just work with the small opening. Kinda tight, but its much better than removing 20 screws.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Need4SPEED05
For those of you who've changed your own oil... I assume you have to take out all 20 screws and bolts that hold on the bottom engine cover. I was wondering if anyone bypassed alot of that work by cutting the bottom cover across at the section right after the series of screws that run accross? I don't really see it as a problem interfering with anything else so it seems safe. Hopefully they won't void my warranty ( I don't see why it would). Maybe I can get my oil changed in less than 30 mins now. Hope this helps anyone and input is always welcomed.

Not me. I only remove the 2 screws at the back and just bend the cover down plus use the existing hole that is there. Changing the oil is no more than 15 minutes. Getting the car up on ramps etc = the same amount of time.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Hate to sound like a tool but (I pick up my G on Sunday so this is news to me)....You have to remove a panel to get to the freaking drain plug????!!!! Off to the maintenance forum for me I guess...I never changed the oil in my Acura just because the filter was in an odd ball location. I was planning on doing all the maitenance on my G myself. Do oil change places charge extra or better yet do you guys even recommend anything other than the dealer?

Old 10-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah it is a pretty tight fit if your just using the basic jack. I know the dealership uses the small hole in the cover because they got the lift but I just can't get in there. Thats what I was gonna do but couldn't fit my big hands in there. Especially to get the oil filter out. I was afraid to bend the whole thing down because of messing up the metal brackets that keep the cover on straight. Plus I have no ramps and the jack won't go that high... Now I have about 6 screws to take out which isn't too bad. I recommend doing it yourself or going to the dealer. No one else.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Need4SPEED05
Yeah it is a pretty tight fit if your just using the basic jack. I know the dealership uses the small hole in the cover because they got the lift but I just can't get in there. Thats what I was gonna do but couldn't fit my big hands in there. Especially to get the oil filter out. I was afraid to bend the whole thing down because of messing up the metal brackets that keep the cover on straight. Plus I have no ramps and the jack won't go that high... Now I have about 6 screws to take out which isn't too bad. I recommend doing it yourself or going to the dealer. No one else.

I would never lay under the car with the factory jack if that is what you are referring to. The minimum would be to have proper jackstands in place. Safety first.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RBull
I would never lay under the car with the factory jack if that is what you are referring to. The minimum would be to have proper jackstands in place. Safety first.
NEVER get under your car with any jack holding it up. Atleast put something under the tires. You can never trust a jack because they can give at any time.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
^ +1
I wouldn't trust the factory jack for changing a tire, let alone get under the car.......Buy a good low profile floorjack w/ jackstands or a couple of car ramps......Use good judgement when getting under any automobile......

Old 10-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Please ALWAYS use safety jacks when doing an oil change..

if you guys want.. you know those "push in" bolts.. u can get like 6 more of those and another plastic piece.. and just dremel out a bigger hole under the oil filter and bolt the plastic piece on so ur underbody is completely covered and it makes changing oil so much easyer..

but other then that.. you only need to unbolt 3 bolts towards the rear passenger side to stick your hand in..

stupid acuras.. TL oil filter is above the lower arm -__- lol

Old 10-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Not me. I only remove the 2 screws at the back and just bend the cover down plus use the existing hole that is there. Changing the oil is no more than 15 minutes. Getting the car up on ramps etc = the same amount of time.
+1 here. I use ramps and remove only the back two screws, and only to remove and replace the oil filter. The oil drains thru the hole just fine.

Lou

Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I use ramps and take off about 8 screws. I leave all the front ones on and kinda work in from the side.

The first time I changed oil I tried just removing a couple of the screws and it was too hard to get in there. So, I went and bout an air ratchet! Makes it quicker... LOL That's how you build your tool collection!!

Old 10-19-2005, 08:48 AM
I use a eletric drill to remove the screws... talk about fast... 2-3 sec per screw. I've tried the air rachet, but it is too slow for me and more often that not it over tightens the screws when I am screwing it up. Now I only use my impact gun for the tires.... make my garage sounds like a auto shop!!! I love it!

Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 PM
I put the fumoto drain valve. When I do my oil, I stuff a tube on the nipple and drain the oil with zero mess. Not having to clean anything up also saves me time...

Attached Thumbnails Oil Change made easier???-resize-img_1019.jpg  
Old 10-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by hayaku
I put the fumoto drain valve. When I do my oil, I stuff a tube on the nipple and drain the oil with zero mess. Not having to clean anything up also saves me time...
That's a pretty cool tool. Can it be purchased at the local auto store?

Old 10-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Swerving and Weaving
I worked at West Houston Infiniti over the summer. I chenged my own oil a few times, but everytime i saw a G coupe/sedan or an FX 35/45 come in for an oil change all the tech would do is take a few screws at the back and bend the plastic shield down. Easiest way to do it IMO