The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Changing your own Oil -- getting warranty coverage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing your own Oil -- getting warranty coverage?

I plan on changing the oil (and the filter, etc.) on my Coupe every 3k but I am going to do this myself.

Now, if there ever comes a time when I need warranty work done, how can I prove to the dealership that I've performed all the scheduled maintenance?

If I went to a dealership (Infiniti or Nissan), I'd be in the computer system. If I went to an indie shop, at least I'd have the receipt showing how/when I changed the oil/filter, etc.

Any advice or comment? Thanks.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Nissan/Infiniti can't mandate that we pay someone to change our oil. I believe the solution for us is to save all our receipts for oil/filter purchases. The key would be to buy the oil/filter about the same time as it's changed.

This is kind of a pain for me, b/c I buy a lot Mobil1 whenever I see it on sale...
and I buy multiple oil filters at once so I don't have to chase one down when it's time.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by seanl
I'm in the same boat as you. Nissan/Infiniti can't mandate that we pay someone to change our oil. I believe the solution for us is to save all our receipts for oil/filter purchases. The key would be to buy the oil/filter about the same time as it's changed.
The problem with keeping the receipts for your oil/filter purchases is that it just shows you bought the oil/filter, not that you necessarily changed the oil/filter.

I mean, I can see a dealer saying, "well, yeah, you bought these things but how do I know you properly changed it, or much less changed it all?"

Old 10-19-2005, 07:17 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The problem with keeping the receipts for your oil/filter purchases is that it just shows you bought the oil/filter, not that you necessarily changed the oil/filter.

I mean, I can see a dealer saying, "well, yeah, you bought these things but how do I know you properly changed it, or much less changed it all?"
I've done this forever guys, no worries. Just be sure and keep receipts. and a log of the change at the recommended intervals.

For a dealership to deny warranty just because you changed the oil yourself, they would have to prove that you didn't change the oil. To do that they would partially dismantle the engine to see abnormal sludge, and discolouration that builds within an engine if normal maintenance scheduals are not followed.
Simply put, it's obvious to the mechanics at the dealer if normal o/change maintenance is done or not. So make sure it's done and everything will be fine.
... and don't forget those receipts and log. That's all the proof you need.

C.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Msedanman
For a dealership to deny warranty just because you changed the oil yourself, they would have to prove that you didn't change the oil. To do that they would partially dismantle the engine to see abnormal sludge, and discolouration that builds within an engine if normal maintenance scheduals are not followed.
Technically, they actually can't do that either. Read your warranty booklet, and look at the terms. NOWHERE does it say that you must perform the maintenence items. It says to follow the maintenence schedule as described in the owners manual. The owners manual refers to another guide. The guide clearly uses the word "recommended" and "should". There is a clear legal difference between these two words and "must/mandatory/required", etc.

They can argue that not changing the oil is neglegence, but the fact of the matter is that the warranty terms do not explicitly say that not changing your oil is negligence or required. By the fact that the maintenence guide says that all the items are recommended to be replaced, or should be replaced, explicitly means that it is not mandatory.

One could follow (even though I wouldn't), that simply topping off the oil and making sure that it is full, sufficient for warranty purposes.

I had the Acura dealer try to void the warranty on my transmission, when it started acting up because I didn't have the fluid flushed. (Aside from the fact, that flushing wasn't even listed as recommended until 105,000 miles on schedule A, IIRC), I used the above arguments with the service manager, as Acura's Warranty is worded the same as Infiniti's. Acura backed down and re-instated my warranty. (And later replaced my tranny under warranty, when it actually did blow up)

Last edited by avs007; 10-19-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Jp1
It just plain sucks that you have to cya "cover your @#$".