The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

'04 CLUTCH - oh sh**??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an '05 G35 6MT and was amazed at how much noise there was when engaging/disengaging the clutch, and also the cement mixer noise particularly in 1st gear, and the noise between gears during high rpm shifts.

Everyone said it was normal, but I wasn't sure. I now have an '06 6MT and it is exactly the same, possibly more gear noise than the other one.

It is surprising, I hope it is because everything is really heavy duty or something. My 5 speed maxima (which was really a totally different animal) was silent except for a little clutch chatter you could feel through the pedal (but not hear)

So at the very least I do believe that it is normal. After the '05 I considered getting an auto so it would be smoother and quieter - and then realized I was crazy. I was getting this car because it was fun to drive. I would rather have cement mixer noises and be able to beat on the car the way you only can with a stick.

What worries me more is what people who ride in the car think. For now it is brand new, but when it has some miles on it people will think it is worn out. One friend already commented on the noise from the passenger seat.

The most annoying of the noises to me is the noise the clutch makes during engagement and disengagement. It seems like the vibrations from the throwout bearing are transmitted through the firewall. I would like to figure out a way to isolate it slightly without loosing any of the feel. Maybe hard rubber mounts on the clutch master cylinder or something.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tranny is gonna be notchy, the syncros are triple cone (tougher) to handle the power, therefore a notchy tranny... its a sports car.. Every driven a Ferrari.. then talk bout a notchy transmission. Or a Cobra with a TKO Tranny..

And its a dual mass flywheel... thats what i meant.. here is an explanation..

A dual-mass flywheel is assembled from two pieces — an inner and outer ring — with a spring action between them. The idea is to provide a harmonic-dampener effect so engine vibrations won't enter the transmission and cause a gear rattle at idle.

This also means the conventional marcel springs in the clutch disc are redundant with a dual-mass flywheel as the cushioning offered by the clutch-disc springs is already provided by the dual-mass flywheel's springs.

Therefore, when eliminating a dual-mass flywheel and clutch combination in favor of a conventional design, both the flywheel and clutch disc are replaced.

If you're still a bit mystified, realize that two goals are being met by springs. In a conventional clutch, the springs in the disc cushion clutch engagement, making it less abrupt, less on-off. Dual-mass flywheels use springs for a completely different purpose — to dampen harmonic vibrations at idle — but also have a side effect of cushioning clutch engagement. That allows eliminating the clutch's springs. But do away with the dual-mass flywheel such as with your one-piece aluminum flywheel, and you'll definitely want a sprung hub in the clutch disc.

Thats why we hear rattling at idle... Hope this helps.

Last edited by JaxGman; 01-24-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lojacc
Hey guys (and girls?)

Some of you may or may not have seen this posted around in other threads. If so, sorry for the repost, but I have a BURNING question for those more experineced in the ways of The G than I.

First off, just bought myself silver '04 6sp mt with 20500 miles on Friday. All I have to say is: i don't know where the HELL i've been, but this car is the BEST. nuff said. Glad to be here!

Ok, now. I'm wondering if i just bought something with a problem. Everything on the car is cherry save for the clutch. I used to drive 1)an 02 RSX and 2)an 05 RSX Type S and never had this problem before so I'm wondering if it is native to the G or i have myself a service issue. The problem is: rattle. Rattle rattle rattle! I feel it in the clutch. I feel it in the shifter. I can faintly hear it when i rev with clutch depressed. What gives? Someone I spoke to in brief said it might be my flywheel giving out. Is that true?

The input would be much appreciated. I already called the dealer and set up an appointment to drop it off, but I would like to know in advance how serious (or simple?) the issue might be.
Vibration from the shifter while in idle and engaged is normal. A rattle, meaning noises from the vibration is something I haven't experienced myself and should be considered not normal. You should first make sure that your shifter **** is tightly screwed on the shifter and that the spacer is not loose and rattling. If it still rattles, I would take it in to have it checked.

Honda drivers will notice that the G clutch and shifter is alot more stiffer than the soft cable clutch and jelly shifter that Hondas have. Fix there is to start working out at the gym.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Ha!!!

good one!

thanks for the input, guys. i appreciate it and i feel alot better. i suppose going from driving an acura (honda) to a nissan setup there are bound tobe differences. i was just nervous that there was something seriously wrong as im still new to the ways of The G.

glad i got some input. Good sh*t guys!!

Old 01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Been normal for me as well. Kinda funny, when I bought my G 3 1/2 weeks ago, It had 20500 on the clock.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Maybe it's just because I am new to the G35, but the notchy clutch and gritty feeling pedal are something I would not expect from a car that comes with a tampon.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Double post, sorry.

Last edited by poorboyj; 01-24-2006 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 PM
ha. the stock tampon is indeed an indication of class! ;-)

Hybrid, how are you likin the G so far? glad to know there are other people thinking the same thing i was.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
The 6MT's driving feel and sound was the deal breaker for me. The noisy notchy tranny seems to be a Nissan thing. They use beefy trannies, but they aren't very refined. My 96 Maxima even with only 20K miles gave out whirring noises, clunks, notchy shifting, vibrating shifter and clutch pedal, etc. I put up with it for 6 years, but it bugged me constantly. Then I drove two G35 6MTs and I was deeply saddened because the feel and noise of the tranny was worse than my 9 y/o 113K Maxima. It just didn't match the smooth character of the car. Then I drove a few 5ATs was amazed at how quick they were and how they actually felt faster from 0-60mph. I went with the 5AT. It was a compromise.