The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

octane

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
octane

Just purchased my G and am putting super unleaded in it, but i have heard rumors that the engine was designed for regular.

Anyone have any insight?

Old 05-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just put in what the manufacturer says: Premium unleaded. You did buy $37K car, why put regular in it?

Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Just put in what the manufacturer says: Premium unleaded. You did buy $37K car, why put regular in it?
That's funny.... my owner's manual says to use regular in my sedan.
Why waste money filling it with premium if it doesn't need it ?
Maybe the coupe needs premium ?

Old 05-08-2006, 08:28 PM
The owners manual actually does specify premium unleaded. I think it also says to use regular only when necessary until you can fill with premium. I imagine it wouldn't run well on regular gas, ping maybe.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:32 PM
SDG
My 03 says on the lid, Premium Fuel ONLY. On the new Coupe it says, "Recommended"

Interesting, why the change?

Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With regard to my car and the '05 Owner's Manual . . . It reads . . .

*Sedan - Automatic Transmission models . . . Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number91).

For improved vehicle performance, Infiniti recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI number (Research octane number 96).

*Sedan - Manual transmission and Coupe models . . . Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91) may be temporarily used, but only under the following precautions:

- Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.

- Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

However, for maximum vehicle performance , the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended.

Caution: Using a fuel other than that specified could adversely affect the emission control system, and may also affect the warranty coverage.

Under no circumstances should a leaded gasoline be used, because this will danage the three-way catalyst.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
With regard to my car and the '05 Owner's Manual . . . It reads . . .

*Sedan - Automatic Transmission models . . . Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number91).

For improved vehicle performance, Infiniti recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI number (Research octane number 96).

*Sedan - Manual transmission and Coupe models . . . Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91) may be temporarily used, but only under the following precautions:

- Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.

- Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

However, for maximum vehicle performance , the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended.

Caution: Using a fuel other than that specified could adversely affect the emission control system, and may also affect the warranty coverage.

Under no circumstances should a leaded gasoline be used, because this will danage the three-way catalyst.

Damn Andy, how long did it take you to type that? Oh, I guess I forgot to specify I have a 6MT coupe, so yeah, Premium. My guess is that us 6MT drivers tends to rev higher I guess in Infiniti's engineers mind

Old 05-09-2006, 06:31 AM
My question is that if you use 100 octane fuel would you feel a power gain over using 91 octane?

Old 05-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by badtz
My question is that if you use 100 octane fuel would you feel a power gain over using 91 octane?

Nope... u wouldnt, only way you get more power using 100 octane would be increasing your timing, which the higher octane would allow you to do.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by swoop
Just purchased my G and am putting super unleaded in it, but i have heard rumors that the engine was designed for regular.

Anyone have any insight?
If its a lease, who cares!!!!

Old 05-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the info. ill stick to the high octane with the 6mt.