tint ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry tint ticket

Anyone ever seen a tint checkpoint before!? Well that's what the po po had set up on the Cross isl-N exit to LIE-W yesterday afternoon. Right on that long winding turn. They were pulling over every car that had ANY kind of tint on thier car, 3 cars at a time. Of course I get pulled over and I have light tint (35). Pulls out the "tint level check meter" (1st time ever seeing one of these things) and rings me up at 33. Now I always thought you're safe at 35 and over, at least this is what my local precinct told me 2 years ago, but according to this cop the law is 70+, which means pretty much anything on your glass can get you an f-ing ticket! To top it off they were pulling cars over this tall curb, so when I slowly (saw this crap coming) started to drive away I bottomed out 2x, damaging my splash guard and probably scratching up my exhaust and bumper.

Well I plan on fighting the ticket based on the false info I was previously given and I'll be sure to add the unsafe location for this checkpoint along with a pic of my damaged splash guard.

Do you guys think I have any chance or am I screwed?

Old 10-27-2005, 11:34 PM
G SQUAD
I just got a ridiculous tint ticket sunday in brooklyn. I was driving my uncle's escalade and they pulled me over for the tints. I tried to explain that the tints was factory. They told me not everything that comes from the factory is legal..dumba$$e$. I even tried explaining that the glass was tinted and this wasn't any roll on tint and also that 98% of SUV's have this. It was an effort well wasted. But I m fighting it and I should be okay because the genius' didn't perform any tint testing whatsoever. I hope he shows in court!

-Vin

Old 10-28-2005, 08:25 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silvsurf
Anyone ever seen a tint checkpoint before!? Well that's what the po po had set up on the Cross isl-N exit to LIE-W yesterday afternoon. Right on that long winding turn. They were pulling over every car that had ANY kind of tint on thier car, 3 cars at a time. Of course I get pulled over and I have light tint (35). Pulls out the "tint level check meter" (1st time ever seeing one of these things) and rings me up at 33. Now I always thought you're safe at 35 and over, at least this is what my local precinct told me 2 years ago, but according to this cop the law is 70+, which means pretty much anything on your glass can get you an f-ing ticket! To top it off they were pulling cars over this tall curb, so when I slowly (saw this crap coming) started to drive away I bottomed out 2x, damaging my splash guard and probably scratching up my exhaust and bumper.

Well I plan on fighting the ticket based on the false info I was previously given and I'll be sure to add the unsafe location for this checkpoint along with a pic of my damaged splash guard.

Do you guys think I have any chance or am I screwed?

70% + ?!?!?

What a pile of crap. Low life *****. Fight that $hit, what a complete utter BS!

I would have asked to see the written law... 70% - that's stock window with no tint. In other words, if that was true then ANY level of tint, no matter how light, would be illigal.

Fight it!

Old 10-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Speedoholic
70% + ?!?!?

What a pile of crap. Low life *****. Fight that $hit, what a complete utter BS!

I would have asked to see the written law... 70% - that's stock window with no tint. In other words, if that was true then ANY level of tint, no matter how light, would be illigal.

Fight it!
Unfortunately this is true. If you click on this link it shows you the tint laws of each state in the US. http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

Usually cops in NYC and LI don't harrass you for tints, but there are *******s out there who have nothing better to do than pull people over for friggin tints. I got two tickets once in my old car for tinted windows: one for the driver's side and another for the rear window.. WTF? I went to court for it and brought in a receipt from a shop which stated that I got the tints removed (I just went to a shop and told them to write me a receipt, I didn't really do it) and my two tickets were dismissed. Just shows you how NYPD cops have nothing better to do. My friend's Acura TL's four wheels and tires were jacked in Bayside where detectives chill all the time, yet they didn't catch the culprits.. and my other friend who was parking in that area got harrassed three times from those detectives because they thought he was suspicious when he wasn't doing ANYTHING but trying to park.. does that make sense? lol..

Most cops will let you go if your tint is 35% and above, but the law really states that tints can be no darker than 70% in NY.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:25 PM
i personally think that thse a hole cops are jus jelouse of the vehicles and wanna bust our chops and give us tickets for tints... i got 3 tickets withing 3 weeks in my old car.. told the cop one of them i jus fought and im gonna go remove it as per the judge said to do and he said o well its been more than 2 days... ****er it was new years eve out of all days...
i wanna put tints on my new g but with this crap i cant afford getting pulled over.. sux cant even dress ur car the way u want.. shocked they havent pulled me over for factory exhaust been to loud...

Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Originally Posted by dosa
Unfortunately this is true. If you click on this link it shows you the tint laws of each state in the US. http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

Usually cops in NYC and LI don't harrass you for tints, but there are *******s out there who have nothing better to do than pull people over for friggin tints. I got two tickets once in my old car for tinted windows: one for the driver's side and another for the rear window.. WTF? I went to court for it and brought in a receipt from a shop which stated that I got the tints removed (I just went to a shop and told them to write me a receipt, I didn't really do it) and my two tickets were dismissed. Just shows you how NYPD cops have nothing better to do. My friend's Acura TL's four wheels and tires were jacked in Bayside where detectives chill all the time, yet they didn't catch the culprits.. and my other friend who was parking in that area got harrassed three times from those detectives because they thought he was suspicious when he wasn't doing ANYTHING but trying to park.. does that make sense? lol..

Most cops will let you go if your tint is 35% and above, but the law really states that tints can be no darker than 70% in NY.
Holy crap, I stand corrected

I thought the law in NY was 40%...
In that case, sorry bro. I guess there is at least one good thing about living in CT...

Old 10-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the support fellas but it sounds like I'm f-cked. I plan on fighting it anyway.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:46 PM
I dont think that site is correct. I believe it may be misinterpreted because I think the law states that there must be at least 70% light transmitted through the window or however it would be stated so that 30 or 35% tint is legal. My best friend is a cop so I will ask him or just look through his law book. Then again he tried to tell me my radar detector was illegal but I proved him wrong using his own law book. FYI Radar detectors are illegal in NY if your vehicle weighs over 12,000 pounds!

Old 10-29-2005, 03:04 PM
G-Squad DJ =)
Originally Posted by Diesel1
I dont think that site is correct. I believe it may be misinterpreted because I think the law states that there must be at least 70% light transmitted through the window or however it would be stated so that 30 or 35% tint is legal. My best friend is a cop so I will ask him or just look through his law book. Then again he tried to tell me my radar detector was illegal but I proved him wrong using his own law book. FYI Radar detectors are illegal in NY if your vehicle weighs over 12,000 pounds!
Drew that site is correct. You have the common misconception that most people have. The amount of light let in is what the tint shops are telling you when you purchase 5% tint, 25% tint, 35% tint etc. The law states 70% must be let in. So basically if you have 30% tint on your car - you are BLOCKING 70% not lettting 70% in like the law requires...make sense? more explanation to follow:
i have researched this heavily
Pursuant to NYS Vehicle & Traffic Laws Section 375(12-a)(b) on Equipment:
No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street if:

(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield; or

(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or

(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or

(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.
therefore, the site above is correct - for the front windshield and front windows, no less than 70% of light can be let through - therefore no more than 30% tinted (or blocked) out is ok.
The issue here is that...
when you buy tint - the number they tell u is the % of light that is let through. So if you have 35% tint on your car that means u are letting only 35% of sun light into your car and BLOCKING 65%. (thus you are in violation of the above code because you have less than 70% light trasnmittance 65% < 70%)
So when a place tells you "this is 30% tint - it is legal" they are 100% wrong. that 30% tint is not the 30% blocked out that the law allows - it is the 30% that is let into the car instead - which is under the 70% the law requires to be let through.

Basically the law states how much light can be let through (no less than70%) which is the same as saying it is only legal in NY to block a maximum of30% of the light entering your vehicle. The Shops are saying "get 30% tint" but that is the amount let in - which is WAAAY under the amount the law states. (if you got the 30% as your tinter recommended you now are blocking 70% of light out of your car - the law says the MOST you can block is 30% - therefore you are blocking more than double the allowed amount)
sure this is retarded because in a nutshell the law says u are allowed 70% tint on your car (allowing 70% of light in - blocking 30%) - the most i've seen tinters offer is 50% (allowing in 50% of light - blocking 50%) we all know 50% is extremely light but guess what - its still in violation of Section 375(12-a)(b). The tint level allowed is so damn light they may as well just make it that no tinting is allowed at all and that at all time 100% of light must be let in (i assume the reason for this is that no window is 100% clear and even from the factory some amount of light is cut out - the usage of 70% must be to take into consideration that possible discreptancy)

i always said to myself "self, why dont the city and state just stop the source and give tint shops violations for doing this?" but after researching, technically they are allowed to - and you can tint your windows legally but you just can not (according to the above law) operate that vehicle on a public highway, road, or street. - so the options NYS gives you are as follows:
tint your car within our dumbass regulations (basically dont tint at all lol) and you can drive - or tint it and make your car look great, but dont drive it lol

believe it or not, you can legally be exempt from this law Pursuant to NYS Vehicle & Traffic Laws Section 375(12-a)(c) which explains that with official medical clearance you can have your windows tinted. Fill out this form http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv80w.pdf and call your doctor friend now!....- then go buy limo tints lol

btw - as a helpful aside - you can get a copy of the NYS Vehicle & Traffic law book (little pink book) from the DMV - fill out this MV-15 form: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv15.pdf
see pg 3 towards the bottom there is a check box requesting the book - i believe they are a mere $3.50 a book

edit: you can see ALL NYS Vehicle & Traffic Laws (NYS VAT) on the NY Senate's website - it took me some searching but here is the direct link - it is broken down by Title number and subdivided by Articles
to find it click this link: http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/me...MMONQUERY=LAWS - then scroll down the list (in the bottom frame) of consolidated laws to VAT (Vehicle & Traffic) and click VAT - once there you see the Title and Article Breakdowns - Click Article 9 under Title 3 - now you will see the Section break down of this Article - click 375 - now scroll down to sub section 12-a -more notably sub-section B of 12-a
enjoy!

btw - Vin - where in brooklyn did they bang you out?

Last edited by DJNOOCH; 10-29-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:38 PM
I got pulled over in May for my 35% tints 10 feet before Holland Tunnel. They had me back up and pull to a side street. I was already pissed and upset at this point since I have been stuck for 2 hours trying to get over to Jersey.

The cop gave me a bs lecture and then went to his car and pick up the tint meter thing. He puts it on my window and said:

"Your windows are only allowing 33% light passing through (i think that was the percentage). New York and New Jersey laws require that you allow 70% light passing through your front windows. You can have the back windows and rear windows tinted. The front windows must allow 70% light passing through."

He gave me a ticket and said "Just pay it."

I pay the ticket for $60 and didn't want to bother with it.

Now everytime I pass near checkpoints (tunnels and bridges especially) where cops linger, I pull my windows down before I get in the area.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Very nice and precise Noochie. U gettin paid by the word......lol

Your law prep @ work. I got my nickels woth...lol

Good job.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:23 AM
G-Squad DJ =)
Originally Posted by O NO
Very nice and precise Noochie. U gettin paid by the word......lol

Your law prep @ work. I got my nickels woth...lol

Good job.
sad part is i wrote that while "taking a break" from doing legal research for this memo i have to write for my legal writing class - some break huh?