G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 insurance will go thru the roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2006 | 08:01 PM
|
Angry G35 insurance will go thru the roof

"It was raining like crazy and somehow I lost control of the car..."

"Of course i have a police report, however it seems very very wrong and doesnt really answer all the evidence."

"...i lost control of vehicle and slammed into a retaining wall"

Perhaps US should have a Mandatory Driving Safety School just like the ones in Europe? No wonder G35 insurance is going higher.

SLOW THE .... DOWN and keep that VDC button ON!

Old 05-30-2006 | 08:04 PM
a lot of the accident posts I read "oh i turned vdc off"

Old 05-30-2006 | 08:40 PM
why do people drive with the VDC OFF? the G has a lot of power, and in the wrong hands, youre asking for trouble....if you don't have the experience, then KEEP the VDC ON....i can never understand this

Old 05-30-2006 | 08:41 PM
Should read "No wonder everyone's insurance is going higher."

No matter what you drive or where you live, there are ALWAYS people being stupid no matter what they drive. You'd think insurance on Civics would make them impossible to own ...

Moreover, your rates depend on YOUR record, the type/style of car, and average repair cost. When I traded my '00 Mustang GT for my '04 G35, my rate went up by about $800/yr, or roughly 25%, for a car worth 3x as much. I have one at-fault accident claim on my insurance (User $2000 in damage), otherwise it would be a bit lower.

Anyway, the rate you pay is representative of your record and the "insurance risk" of the car. Idiots on the road drive insurance rates up for everyone in their age bracket and for that class of vehicle, not the specific vehicle itself.

There are more idiots out there driving cars that aren't G35s. They're everywhere driving everything.

Old 05-30-2006 | 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by strife
why do people drive with the VDC OFF? the G has a lot of power, and in the wrong hands, youre asking for trouble....if you don't have the experience, then KEEP the VDC ON....i can never understand this
Especially in the rain

Old 05-30-2006 | 09:48 PM
^ because that's when it's fun to drift.

Not that I would ever do that.

Old 05-30-2006 | 10:08 PM
Evil Bastard
no no nevar!

I did read on my latest insurance statement that my insurance was going up because of increased claim experience on the particular model (I am not aware of anything that I did to raise the premium, ie accidents, violations, etc). I think it went up about 10 bucks or so. So.. why don't all you suckas start paying up?! (jk)

Old 05-30-2006 | 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hogan
Should read "No wonder everyone's insurance is going higher."

No matter what you drive or where you live, there are ALWAYS people being stupid no matter what they drive. You'd think insurance on Civics would make them impossible to own ...

Moreover, your rates depend on YOUR record, the type/style of car, and average repair cost. When I traded my '00 Mustang GT for my '04 G35, my rate went up by about $800/yr, or roughly 25%, for a car worth 3x as much. I have one at-fault accident claim on my insurance (User $2000 in damage), otherwise it would be a bit lower.

Anyway, the rate you pay is representative of your record and the "insurance risk" of the car. Idiots on the road drive insurance rates up for everyone in their age bracket and for that class of vehicle, not the specific vehicle itself.

There are more idiots out there driving cars that aren't G35s. They're everywhere driving everything.
Not true. Rates depend also on where you live and your area. Where i live is a semi ok area, but it does border some shady parts. So its because of that the insurance is higher here. Despit the clean record every year my insurance keeps going up.

On the side note..... I had 2001 Honda Prelude and the insurance on that just this past year was $2,500 for 6 months. My 2005 G35 has cheaper insurance of $1,835 for 6 months yet the policy terms are still the same. So who knew that buying a more expensive car can lead to less insurance payment.

Old 05-30-2006 | 11:45 PM
Sorry I didn't clarify, "insurance risk" involves your locale. The point I was trying to make is that an idiot driving a G35 or an idiot driving a Audi S4 will cause the rates to go up for that class and age bracket, not that specific vehicle. A sport sedan is a sport sedan. There are other factors that determine what your premium is (Repair costs, parts costs, theft rate, aftermarket/3rd party parts availability, your driving record, your zip code, your age, your sex, your marital status, average number of claims filed for that class per period, average claim amount, blah blah blah).

Point is (was), as I said, there are idiots everywhere that will affect us no matter what they drive.

Old 05-31-2006 | 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by strife

Experience? Even with experience what is the point of having VDC off?? lol..

Funniest thing ever... Kids and even the older guys here...

All you're doing when it's off is wasting tires....

There's a reason why the computer is controlling the amount of aceleration... BECAUSE YOU WON'T GET TRACTION IF IT DOESN'T lol..

Even with the turbo, I keep VDC on 99.2% of the time.. I've probably driven a whole 2 minutes with it off just to see what would happen.

If you want to be a m4d drift0r ricer fast and the furious G35 fan boy.. yes turn it off. I truly believe there are more G35 fan boys than there are Honda fan boys these days. G35 bumpers are daaaamnn expensive lol..

btw.. depending on the state, your insurance co. will factor in # of accidents in your make/model --and/or-- your mileage/town+regional crime+accident+theft statistics.

VDC off is for the times you need complete control of the car (stuck in a ditch/ice/snow) and on the track!

Last edited by Down_Shift; 05-31-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2006 | 12:18 AM
that suks... I pay 400 for 6 months full coverage. 33 maried with a sport bike and my G is an 06' loaded with full coverage...

Old 05-31-2006 | 01:22 AM
YOU READ MY MIND! that's exactly what I thought, but I kept my "mouth" shut. But seriously, the G is good handler but not the best and quite honestly, the weight of the car overwhelms the VDC or anything else when you start going fast. I seriously don't need my insurance to go up.

Old 05-31-2006 | 02:19 AM
Sometimes it is faster to get around a corner with gas induced oversteer, but this car is too much car for some people's skills. If you get into accident, own up to it, and don't try to be smart to cheat the system. Seriously I can't believe more than one person on here were convincing other to commit insurance fraud. So manly to go fast but not manly enough to tell the truth?

Originally Posted by Down_Shift
Experience? Even with experience what is the point of having VDC off?? lol..

Funniest thing ever... Kids and even the older guys here...

All you're doing when it's off is wasting tires....

There's a reason why the computer is controlling the amount of aceleration... BECAUSE YOU WON'T GET TRACTION IF IT DOESN'T lol..

Even with the turbo, I keep VDC on 99.2% of the time.. I've probably driven a whole 2 minutes with it off just to see what would happen.

If you want to be a m4d drift0r ricer fast and the furious G35 fan boy.. yes turn it off. I truly believe there are more G35 fan boys than there are Honda fan boys these days. G35 bumpers are daaaamnn expensive lol..

btw.. depending on the state, your insurance co. will factor in # of accidents in your make/model --and/or-- your mileage/town+regional crime+accident+theft statistics.

VDC off is for the times you need complete control of the car (stuck in a ditch/ice/snow) and on the track!

Old 05-31-2006 | 02:27 AM
Premier Member
Premier Member
That's another thing that is raising insurance...False claims and insurance fraud.

Old 05-31-2006 | 02:32 AM
Evil Bastard
This is purely for discussions sake, and not to start some sort of flame war. So, please read with this in mind. If it offends your sensibilities in some way, I really did not mean for it to.

I find that the VDC is fairly intrusive even during moderate cornering. I don't try to powerslide through a corner, or attempt at drifting... however, even when trying to give it a bit of gas during the exit, the VDC will kick in and cut so much power, it borders on bogging.

The opinions about the intrusiveness of VDC is obviously very subjective. My thought is that it is pretty intrusive, and I do elect to turn it off on clear and tight roads, with good weather. I have yet to be involved in an accident due to loss of control of the car, and find that the coupe reacts in a pretty linear fashion to throttle input post-apex (when the VDC is off). My biggest complaint about VDC is that it seems to be more of an off/on switch for the throttle. Meaning, it doesn't reel in the throttle gradually or even incrementally, but pretty much goes into a temporary limp-mode when it detects wheelspin, no matter how small. ALso, it doesn't seem to respond to drivers throttle reduction once VDC is on, but just stays on until the car is going straight (rather than letting the gas back on near the end of the corner). Perhaps, other people feel differently, but thats the way my particular car responds. I realize the car is no Ferarri, and has no sophisticated race-oriented traction control, but that on/off characteristic is one of the biggest factor for me to turn the VDC off on occasion.

I do agree though. The car is heavy, and is tricky to get the weight transfer correctly. I'm thinking a lot of the "no-VDC on" accidents were mostly due to overly fast entries into a corner, and/or abrupt weight transfer during initial turn in. I could be wrong, so please correct me if i am.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 insurance will go thru the roof